[Series Thread] World Cup 2019

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: [Series Thread] World Cup 2019

Post by Googly »

A list from Graeme Joffe this morning.
I was asked by a number of twitter followers to please expand on my tweet ... so, here goes!

On the field, the Proteas made a lot of schoolboy errors against Bangladesh in all departments. The most glaring was to win the toss AGAIN and bowl first AGAIN. I remember as captain of the Fairways Primary Ter Horst (U9/U10) team in the 80s, our coach, Jimmy Cook told us, you win the toss, you always bat first. So, not sure what has changed since or how the Proteas can think they’re good chasers at a World Cup. Their record certainly doesn’t show it and scoreboard pressure is a real thing. The bowling and fielding was flat and then they forgot to keep a right/left handed batting combo going at a crucial time.

I’m not a cricket expert but after eight years of investigating the systemic corruption, maladministration and nepotism in SA sport, I can safely say, all three have a dire effect on overall performance.

Let’s start with Border cricket who in the last five years has gotten close to R50 million from the National Lottery.

Yes, R50 million!

No-one can shed light on what the R50 million was used for apart from some officials using it to fund their own lavish lifestyles.

Had that R50 million been used for grass roots development, structured academies and for looking after some young disadvantaged talent, cricket would have been the winner. Instead, kids have given up on their dream and given up on the sport.

Border cricket is a ghost.

Cricket SA (CSA) is one of the wealthiest federations and also gets millions from the National Lottery. But you still have the player drain (Kolpak) and others who can’t make a living from the game throwing in the towel.

Where’s all the money going?

So, you’ve lost depth at a schoolboy, amateur and provincial level which doesn’t bode well for the national team and you end up picking half a squad of veterans for the 2019 World Cup who have already failed at previous World Cups.

No depth and no fight for places in the squad!

There’s no longer strength vs strength at the provincial level either which has been watered down to almost a club competition.

The quota system is a smokescreen for the lack of grass roots development and lazy administration. It’s also racist and discriminatory.

Interesting to see a trio of South Africans working with the current Bangladesh team. Neil McKenzie as the batting coach, Ryan Cook (fielding coach) and Gary Kirsten as a consultant. You think these guys may know a thing or two about the game?

Just for the record CSA, Kirsten coached India to World Cup glory in 2011.

Why aren’t these coaches/consultants in the SA system?

Because of administrators who want “yes” people and not people who want the best for the players and team!

How many great cricket players, coaches have been flushed out of the SA cricket system because they weren’t yes people?

CSA has had numerous boardroom battles with Presidents and CEO’s fighting over money and lest we not forget the whole Gerald Majola saga.

But still corruption and nepotism is rife within CSA and Majola is now the ‘Sedgars rep’ for their lucrative, non-tendered CSA contracts.

Administrators in it for their own personal gain and not what’s in it for the players.

You still have selection interference and from administrators who have never ever played the game.

How can you expect to win trophies if you don't send out your best 11 players?

But at the same time, credit to Bangladesh for getting professional help and for improving all the time!

Bafana Bafana losing to Botswana shouldn’t be a surprise either. SA football is riddled with corruption, maladministration and nepotism.

When last did you read a feel good story between SAFA and the PSL?

The Jordaan/Khoza battle over power and money has crippled the game and it shows on the field. The players know it.

There’s also no consistency and long term planning.

Bafana Bafana have had how many coaches in the last 10 years and how much has been paid out to terminate their contracts?

Millions and millions which could have been used for development down the drain!

Clubs and junior programs are fighting for survival whilst millions from the Lottery and FIFA legacy program disappears.

Good players and coaches give up.

I repeat, how can you expect to win trophies if you don't send out your best 11 players?

It’s exactly the same in SA Rugby, SA Athletics and SA swimming and the officials get away with it because the Sports Ministry and SASCOC are just as corrupt!

They all have dirt on each other until the thieves fall out over money. That’s the only time you may hear about it as there is no culture of investigative sports journalism in SA.

The rot just gets deeper!

SA sport has been demonized by systemic corruption, maladministration and nepotism!

Googly

Post by Googly »

This guy is a Sports journalist who exposed corruption at SASCOC and had to flee SA to America due to death threats , he was warned of a hit on him and had to run.

Everything that’s has happened here is being mirrored there, except there’s more money at stake and even nastier people.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Andybligzz wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:55 am
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:17 pm
4 pages on whether Babar is a good player or not.
F me this forum is declining faster than Waller after that 99* knock.
And 3 comments of you having a sook and screaming out for attention .
I’m not screaming for attention.
There’s a forum section called ‘other cricket’ here that’s precisely for tournaments not involving Zimbabwe by its very definition. The World Cup thread shouldn’t be in the Zimbabwe section. Imagine an outsider wanting some ZC information and this is the top thread. A newbie wouldn’t stick around as it doesn’t have Zim talk.

What’s more, It also affects me because this tournament is a very painful reminder of my second worst cricketing memory (getting a fast ball in my nuts the first) and quite frankly I, and a lot of Zimbabwe supporters want NOTHING to do with this competition after the shitshow the ICC dragged us in and the pain it caused. I’m not supporting it. I don’t want to see it.
Fuck the World Cup and fuck Babar.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

:lol: arguing that you weren’t sooking and saying fuck Babar *continues sooking and brings up babar again :lol:
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:15 am

Bangladesh now need to beat Afghanistan, Sri Lanka & Pakistan plus upset one of Australia, England or India, looks like a very uphill battle for them now.
My projection was BD to win 4 or 5 games. 4 wins and we meet expectations and go home. 5 and we begin to exceed expectations and threaten for a semifinal spot, whether we get one or not. May come down to net run rate.

Beating SA almost ensures we finish with at least 4 wins (even if lose one of the games we are favored to win). The games against Pakistan and West Indies will be especially crucial.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Andybligzz wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:21 pm
:lol: arguing that you weren’t sooking and saying fuck Babar *continues sooking and brings up babar again :lol:
F off. Show me where I said I wasn’t sooking?
Pinpoint the quote. Dare you.

Is a sook and it’s justified. There’s a section for this tournament once again and you have Stockholm Syndrome by supporting it. My memory goes beyond 12 months ago and I’m not the only one.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:13 pm

Imagine an outsider wanting some ZC information and this is the top thread. A newbie wouldn’t stick around as it doesn’t have Zim talk.

after the shitshow the ICC dragged us in and the pain it caused. I’m not supporting it. I don’t want to see it.
It's not like ZC are offering anything for us to talk about any way. No word on the camp for the upcoming tour. No word from them about announced tours or any work. The social media is nonexistent. It's nigh on impossible to get info on Zim cricket.

Also interesting that it takes one event to be done with the ICC, but decades of corruption and screwing the fans over, and still the board gets away with it.

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:53 am
Andybligzz wrote:

Is a sook and it’s justified. There’s a section for this tournament once again and you have Stockholm Syndrome by supporting it. My memory goes beyond 12 months ago and I’m not the only one.
Lighten up doggy , it’s a bit of fun and nothing more. Enjoy your weekend try get a massage or drink some tea and loosen up :))
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Andybligzz wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:36 am
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:53 am
Andybligzz wrote:

Lighten up doggy , it’s a bit of fun and nothing more. Enjoy your weekend try get a massage or drink some tea and loosen up :))
Fair point. Advice taken. Sorry about that!

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Afghanistan really stinking it up at this World Cup so far, haven’t passed 200 in their 3 matches and now looks like they’re about to hit a controversy storm with Mohammed Shahzad reportedly replaces in the squad due to injury, only for him to tweet he’s not injured and is fit.

Found it actually quite funny he posted a photo of himself in tears lol, sorry I did understand this would be upsetting for him but he carries on like such a pelican I have little sympathy for him.

Also interesting to note the ‘benchmark’ of ODI bowling were hammered for 380 odd by the English side, and despite having Tamin & Mushy who are ultra-class & world-class players couldn’t get close to the total.

Top knock from Shakib though, called it before the tournament started it was a good idea playing him @3, their bowling really was toothless though. I’ve said it before that guys like Mehidy & the Fizz are overrated and rely mainly on dodgy pitches at home to perform.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement