[Series Thread] World Cup 2019

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Kriterion_BD

Re: [Series Thread] World Cup 2019

Post by Kriterion_BD »

With more than a third of the group stage done, here's how I see it vs my earliest predictions on Sloandog's thread in the other forum (link: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15364):

Bearing in mind my earliest predictions are 7 months old from November 2018.

1) India - so far looks the strongest team. Clashes vs England and New Zealand still remain (in a couple of hours). Original rank = 1
2) New Zealand - called them the most well rounded side 7 months ago, and the fact that Lockie Ferguson and Matt Henry are leading wicket takers simply highlights that point. Batting, bowling, fielding(!)...NZ are the most balanced side in the tournament and by some distance. But they won't win the cup because they always do well, but never win. Original rank = 4
3) Australia - they have the hunger, the culture, and the talent to win it all. Went toe to toe with the best team in the tournament, so they still have every shot of winning this yet. Original rank = 3
4) England - home team, best batting lineup, and with Archer now have a half decent bowling attack as well. Still, I think they will stumble in the knockouts. Original rank = 2.
5T) West Indies - the biggest surprise of this tournament. Batting is clicking, bowling looks threatening. They are on track to push for a semifinal spot but I think they will fall away as this long tournament wears on. Original rank = 9.
5T) Pakistan - as usual totally unpredictable, beating England but getting absolutely crushed by the Windies. Like the Windies, I expect Pakistan's lack of talent to cause them to fall away from the top 4 as we near the end of the league phase. Original rank = 7
7) Bangladesh - have probably exceeded most neutrals' expectations already, but have also not played to the best of their abilities. With Tamim and Soumya not having fired yet, the odds are a few big knocks may well be due, meaning the Tigers could very well finish ahead of both the Windies and Pakistan by the end of the league phase. Original rank = 6
8) South Africa - don't think anyone thought they'd start this poorly. They will win a couple of big games given their quality, but the damage is done. SA are extremely unlikely to make the semifinals now. Original rank = 5.
9) Sri Lanka - about where you would expect this rudderless team to be. No direction, no awareness = totally lost side. Original rank = 10.
10) Afghanistan - still has a chance to pick up a couple of wins, but their batting is being ruthlessly exposed (just as it was at the last world cup). Original rank = 8.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

West Indies are simply thick as pig shit, honestly. All the talent in the world and then you get somebody like Andre Rusell who just tries and slogs every ball for six.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

sloandog wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:17 pm
West Indies are simply thick as pig shit, honestly. All the talent in the world and then you get somebody like Andre Rusell who just tries and slogs every ball for six.
Then thats not classified as all the talent in the world.
Cricket batting is about decision making ability and shot selection. That’s what separates me from Damien Martyn.
It’s not that hard to be able to hit balls coming at pace. At least some of the time.
Consistency and split second wisdom is the difference.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

The question is how bad is Roy’s hamstring ? Could decide the World Cup
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

A little off track but I got thinking today.

Instead of playing WC warm ups with the same teams in the comp, why not play warm ups against the non participating teams. Warm Ups are more about dusting off some cobwebs and acclimatising to the conditions.

They could have had teams play against Ireland, Netherlands, Zim, Scotland, and UAE. They are all close by and Zim would have travelled earlier because of their European tour. It would have been a great way to play a couple of warm up games in Ireland and Scotland too. Also gives the non participating teams an opportunity to get some experience against the bigger sides.

Also keeps the teams competing from getting used to who they will face and that would make the main competition a little more exciting. Teams won't become used to playing each other on the different conditions and the main match adds that bit more drama.

ICC probably would never want this as it requires more planning and then if a smaller side wins, it bursts their small 10 team bubble.

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:25 am
A little off track but I got thinking today.

Instead of playing WC warm ups with the same teams in the comp, why not play warm ups against the non participating teams. Warm Ups are more about dusting off some cobwebs and acclimatising to the conditions.

They could have had teams play against Ireland, Netherlands, Zim, Scotland, and UAE. They are all close by and Zim would have travelled earlier because of their European tour. It would have been a great way to play a couple of warm up games in Ireland and Scotland too. Also gives the non participating teams an opportunity to get some experience against the bigger sides.

Also keeps the teams competing from getting used to who they will face and that would make the main competition a little more exciting. Teams won't become used to playing each other on the different conditions and the main match adds that bit more drama.

ICC probably would never want this as it requires more planning and then if a smaller side wins, it bursts their small 10 team bubble.
Also would cost a lot of money , great idea but money rules over everything as the world knows . Love the thoughts on this though , I agree it would be awesome .
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Important points for South Africa today, I mean considering the washouts we are having these are still important points.

Now see guys just look at Afghanistan and my point that Zimbabwe are a more mature and better ODI and test unit definitely holds good. Infact at the moment if Zimbabwe play at their best they can beat the likes of Afg, Sri Lanka and perhaps even the WINDIES. Zim are not as bad as people make them out to be and Afghans are surely no where as good as people make them out to be. However the likes of Bangladesh and other top teams are far ahead of Zimbabwe.

I think Netherlands also got a little lucky to qualify for ODI league ahead of Scotland, but anyways we'll see how they go against ZIM.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

India v Pakistan tomorrow and believe me the excitement here in india, despite the fact that of late India has easily had the upper hand, is just unbelievable. Everyone is praying for the rain to stay away and for India to win!!!

Nothing can beat the excitement of this rivalry. Absolutely nothing!!!

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

Yeh i couldn’t care less about both teams but even this morning waking up I am excited for this game ! Really hoping the underdog gets up in Pakistan and makes
Some history . Pakistan winning would be a huge story for this World Cup And would make the competition a lot more interesting.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

If India win tomorrow there are going to be a number of dead-rubbers in this tournament. Australia, NZ, England, and India could easily run away with the top 4.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes