[Series Thread] World Cup 2019

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: [Series Thread] World Cup 2019

Post by foreignfield »

There is one simple reason for this format and that was Sunday's match.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Great win Bangladesh Shakib the Star !!!

Called it before the Cup started moving him to 3 was smart and look at the results

Windies disappointing to give up that score in 42 overs !!!!

Can Bangladesh upset Australia or India? Probably not but they’ve taken two big scalps at this World Cup which they should be proud of
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:11 pm
eugene wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:21 pm
The format isn't at fault for the numebr of dead rubbers. It is more a case of the top four being so much better than everyone else. I think Australia are the most vulnerable of the top four and might slip up allowing South Africa or maybe West Indies to sneak in to the semis. A lot has to happen, but with a few upsets and a couple of washouts it is possible.
No idea how SA and WI are coming into your equation based on the current table. They haven't won any meaningful games yet. There are only 2 teams with a shot at crashing the semifinal party: Bangladesh and Pakistan. Pakistan's net run rate effectively rules them out unless they get more wins than BD. Right now, BD and PAK bascially have the same exact record in terms of wins, losses, and no results (both vs SL).

Its also unfair on the tournament format to say that all the remaining games are "dead rubbers".

BD vs PAK is a potential quarterfinal knockout match. BD/PAK vs NZ could also be knockout matches, if NZ fails to win any games against IND, AUS, and ENG.

Lots of permutations and combinations left.

The World Cup is very much alive.

Windies are now out of any equation. South Africa are still in as they are the only other team with the quality to upset the big four, although they need their pace attack to return to full fitness. I know most on this forum rubbish the Proteas due to a hatred of quotas but they are a quality side regardless.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Andybligzz wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:17 am
I still love any form of cricket on any stage with any teams . It’s only once every 4 years you get to see this magic , but I do agree about it lacking the “ world “ cup feel . I just would love to see The likes of , zim , Ireland ,Scotland , the uae , USA , Namibia, Netherlands ,Hong Kong ect actually having 18-20 teams play off instead of 10. It’s way more likely to grow the game and get the world talking .
I agree. I like seeing random teams compete against the big boys, and sometimes producing the upset. It adds to the atmosphere of a World Cup and happens in other sports.

I would like to see everyone have to qualify. Each region has a certain number of spots and they have to qualify. Asia would obviously have the most spots. When you think about it, there really is no risk of a big team missing out through this concept, except maybe in Englands case in Europe. By going down this route, you eliminate the possibility of the exclusion argument because everyone has had to go through the same qualification. This would also mean you get some random sides appearing, but it also becomes a truly global event then and provides the exposure the game needs.

I have not worked out the finer detail as yet, but will do so at some point.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

There is zero chance India will ever have to qualify for any tournament

I'm certain if India somehow fell out of the top 8 they'd change the rules for them, imagine a world cup without India?? fraction of the revenue
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

jaybro wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:35 am
There is zero chance India will ever have to qualify for any tournament

I'm certain if India somehow fell out of the top 8 they'd change the rules for them, imagine a world cup without India?? fraction of the revenue
they are that fanatic, I reckon that although they will be dissappointed, most will end up fanatically backing a B team of theirs.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

eugene wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:47 pm
Windies are now out of any equation. South Africa are still in as they are the only other team with the quality to upset the big four, although they need their pace attack to return to full fitness. I know most on this forum rubbish the Proteas due to a hatred of quotas but they are a quality side regardless.
Well PAK have already beaten England. Bangladesh have beaten SA, who I agree have the quality to threaten the top 4, ergo BD also has that ability, especially in these conditions of neutral venues at an ICC event. Sri Lanka beat India at the 2017 Champions Trophy, and BD toppled NZ. So while the top 4 may conform to the pre-tournament favorites, its not a foregone conclusion yet.

BD vs WI - WI tournament is done
BD vs PAK - loser is done.
England and AUS have already lost 1 game each, if they lose to both BD and and PAK, things could get tight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:35 am

Yes but thats like saying when the US economy and global prestige drops below Zimbabwe's, the UN will rethink America's permanent seat on the security council.

India will never fall below 5th in the ICC rankings. Even in the 1960s when India was a relatively poor side, they were never ranked outside the top 5 or 6.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Rashid Khan going the distance 😂😂

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

And now AFG's best "batsman" Rahmat is on 18 off 43 chasing 400.

Thats a strike rate of 41 and change.