[Series Thread] World Cup 2019

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Andybligzz
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: [Series Thread] World Cup 2019

Post by Andybligzz »

Kriterion I normally respect what you say but you are so wrong it’s not funny . Babar is a superior odi player to Iqbal and mushfiq, anyone who watches cricket and knows cricket would agree . Also smith and jos Buttler are both “ ultra world class “ if you think any different please watch them bat more often .
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Andybligzz wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:19 am
Kriterion I normally respect what you say but you are so wrong it’s not funny . Babar is a superior odi player to Iqbal and mushfiq, anyone who watches cricket and knows cricket would agree . Also smith and jos Buttler are both “ ultra world class “ if you think any different please watch them bat more often .
Facts are never wrong. Lets look at some "facts" of Mushfiq vs Tamim vs Babar:

ODI batting averages since April 2015 (end of the last World Cup):

Babar - 51.12
Tamim - 56.15
Mushfiqur - 48.55

Conclusion: Babar is slightly higher than Mushy, but well behind Tamim

ODI strike rates since April 2015:

Babar - 85.77
Tamim - 78.94
Mushfiq - 87.75

Conclusion: Mushy slightly higher than Babar.

Composite average-strike rate: Mushy and Babar would be neck and neck.

Averages and strike rates against top 10 sides:

Babar - 49.22 @ 84.45
Tamim - 53.00 @ 78.98
Mushfiq - 49.12 @ 88.21

Conclusion: Mushy slightly ahead of Babar, Tamim roughly equal to Babar

Averages and strike rates against top 5 sides:

Babar - 41.88 @ 84.98
Mushfiq - 43.47 @ 82.10
Tamim - 34.68 @ 73.36

Conclusion: Babar and Mushy are almost neck and neck again. Surprised me, I thought Mushy would be well ahead. My bad.

Averages and strike rates against top 5 sides overseas:

Babar - 41.88 @ 84.95
Mushfiq - 48.69 @ 80.32
Tamim - 38.78 @ 75.20

Conclusion: Mushy finally pulls well ahead of Babar.

Looks like Babar is better than I thought. I will concede that. I was under the impression that all his big scores were against West Indies and Sri Lanka. Regardless, each index shows Mushy either ahead or equal to Babar, except the last one. Agains the best sides, away from home Mushy pulls well ahead and to me that means he's overall a notch ahead of Babar.

Mushfiq has no glaring weakness in his technique. He is proficient against spin, medium pace, and genine pace. He plays swing and seam as well as anyone (48 average in AUS, NZ, ENG, SA) else. His temperament is terrific as well.

The one advantage is that Babar is only 23 or 24...he could yet develop further. Whereas Mushfiq at 31 is at the peak of his form; he won't be getting much better.

This world cup is still just a few days old with teams like India not having debuted yet. However I think a number of debates and questions will be answered given the format and duration of the tournament:

1) Which team is the best ODI team?
2) Can Bangladesh win games away from home?
3) Who are the best batsman in ODIs? Who are the best openers? The best top order batters? Who is the best finisher?
4) Who are the best bowlers in ODIs? The best death bowlers? The best quicks? The best spinners?
5) Does Afghanistan have the best spin attack in ODIs?
6) Bumrah vs Hasan vs Mustafiz?
7) Who is the biggest hitter of them all?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

I’m sorry but if you would like to deal in facts we can do that as well , so for starters Babar has played just 65 odis at the age of 24 , he already has 2761 runs at a average of 51 . He has 12 half centuries and 9 tons already at a very decent strike rate at 85. Lets move to mushfiqur he is 31 and has played 206 odis with 5636 runs at 35 with 34 half centuries and 6 tons , (so Babar already in a quarter of games has 3 more tons ) at a strike rate of 78 . Onto Iqbal now , he has played 194 odis scoring 6652 runs at 36 with 46 half centuries and 11 tons at a strike rate also at 78.so purely on career strike rates and averages babar is miles ahead of both , your argument would be he’s only played 65 games perhaps ? Well he’s only 24 and still 4 years away from
His prime you could argue , the Bangladeshi duo are in their primes and still don’t manage to go as big as Babar has and is doing consistently. If Babar continues at the rate he is going he is on kholis level in short form cricket. Babar is also the number one t20 batsman in the world. Don’t get me wrong both Bangladeshis are class players and perhaps world class on their day , in terms of a superior odi batsman I think Babar is showing in such a short career so far he has them covered .
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Yes 100% correct Bligz

At the same point in their careers Babar is light years ahead, fair enough Mushy & Tamin are great players but I doubt you’d find many if any non-Bangladeshi people who would put either of those guys ahead of Babar
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Well, SA just got a big flogging. Have no idea what their game plan is. Looks like there went to the World Cup and just thought, "if we play badly, then we can't choke"

With regards to the other stuff, Hammy is not the only decent opener we have. Hammy is getting away with his reputation now. He has been quality for us, but others are stepping up but the problem is we do not give them the chance or blood them properly. Instead we insist Hammy must play, and then select other 'not up to standard' players, then complain of a player drain.

If those players stayed, I reckon they would still be as good as they are. They would have received coaching in SA as well and the likes of the Currans, you can just see have this natural talent.

I think Afghanistan are good on pitches that suit them. Their batting is quite flimsy especially up the top and they rely a lot on Rashid Khan. Zim are a much better side than them, but do not show it because of all the issues we have.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Well done BD!

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

SA getting battered by the Tigers yesterday.

They don't really seem to have a game plan, at all. Not the best squad I've ever seen South Africa put out either. Nigidi I rate highly, but the guy bowls a hell of a lot of four balls, and the middle order doesn't really fill me with confidence. The side's lacking an AB De Villiers or a Gibbs, that x factor player. I mean we could argue that Miller on his day can take the game away, as can Faf, but Amla I think is past his best, Markram is still finding his feet and JP Duminy is the most over rated cricketer to have ever represented the proteas. They do, at least, have a solid head in Van Der Dussen, and a couple of good allrounders in Andile and Dwayne Pretorious. Morris I have never rated and he is clearly over the hill. He used to bowl rockets but now he averages what, 83mph max? Up and down, no movement and very hittable.

I don't see them winning many games at all and I see a few heads rolling after this tournament.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Rahim ultra class? Yea ok, i'll take that, but don't have him in that bracket if you aren't going to include Babar Azam in there as well mate. He's one of the players I love watching in ODI cricket, as he play real cricket shots but absolutely nails it. Shakib is a class act I agree, but he's not a better player than Babar Azam.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Proteas can’t afford to sack too many people, Otis is done for, that’s for sure. Du Plessis will also lose his captaincy or will step down. If Markram comes good he’s a possible candidate, but failing that they will be looking at Phehlukwayo or Rabada. They’re itching for their first black captain. I’m giving them zero chance of progressing as you can see.
Morris actually bowled well until his last two overs which went for 30, banging it in was working prior to that, but he seems incapable of bowling a block hole ball, which in fairness was Ngidi’s job.
I called it when Faf was coming out to every single ball, it’s just maths that he’s going to walk past one of them.
I rate Bangladesh but blunders from Markram running out De Kock, his own dismissal when he went back to a front footer and then Miller’s leading edge when he was looking good, plus VD’s brain freeze was more than their fair share of soft dismissals.
When they sent out Miller ahead of VD Dussen I scratched my head. That was far too early to panic and not show faith in their line up. Why not bat him there anyway if that’s what they’re thinking?

Googly

Post by Googly »

England’s first real test coming up, chasing a big total against a decent attack. The pitch is a road though.
A big run chase in a series is a far cry from the same in a WC. Not too much pressure though as they have a degree of comfort in their ability to soak up a loss.
SA’s next game is practically a must win. Steyn has to play, 100% fit or not, and in my opinion Amla must play.
Line up should be. They’re a bowler light but they need to bolster their batting.
Amla
De Kock
Markram
Du Plessis
Miller
VD Dussen
Duminy
Phehlukwayo
Pritorius
Steyn
Tahir