[Series Thread] World Cup 2019

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: [Series Thread] World Cup 2019

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Hate to be that guy, but why is this in the Zimbabwe section of ZCF?
A competition of cricket that doesn’t involve Zimbabwe at all should be in the ‘other cricket’ forum.

This is a failure of ZCFs own rules and we may as well ditch sub forums if it’s a free for all. And the sub-subs need a boost!

This is why the #Zimdoggy2016 for admin campaign should have been implemented. That ship has sailed by now. Withdraw my candidacy. ZCF has made the same mistake ZC did by not offering a contract to Tom Curran when younger.

Such lawlessness and self disrespect would never have been tolerated under my rule.
Oh what could have been.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Googly

Post by Googly »

I blundered in my line up. Pritorius out and Rabada in.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:40 am

At the same point in their careers Babar is light years ahead, fair enough Mushy & Tamin are great players but I doubt you’d find many if any non-Bangladeshi people who would put either of those guys ahead of Babar
1) I don't pay much attention to non-Bangladeshi opinions, because 90% of non-BD opinion is that BD is still worse than Nepal as a cricketing nation. I start tuning out at that point. someone as knowledgable as Brendon McCullum has BD finishing last in the WC. Even if that turns out to be correct, Bangladesh are ranked 7th and any reasonable person would expect them to finish around there (ie 6th to 8th).

2) the stats indicate Mushy is better than Babar. Period.

3) Yes at 24 Mushy was averaging 25 and Babar is averaging 50. No comparison there. But Babar is not going to be averaging 80 like Kohli is doing 4-5 years down the road. He will most likely be right where he is at now. If he does average 80 at any time in the future, I'll take all my posts back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

So we finally get a couple of close games. Excellent win from PAK after their debacle in the opener.

The formula for this world cup has to be bat first, put up 300+ (ideally 320) and that should be enough to defend.

But looks like we won't be seeing the 400 ish totals we did at the last world cup (thank God). Game is much better when both bat and ball have a say.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:30 pm

No they don't :lol: :lol: :lol:

By your own stats you showed it proves both players are neck and neck average and strike rate wise, the only stat which Mushy is much stronger is average against big 5 overseas (Babar has better strike rate) but that's a mute stat because Babar has played against Australia in Australia and done well, Mushy hasn't. Also whilst Babar has played England in England (for a reasonable return) Mushy has one game against England in England.

So that last stat isn't really a true reflection of what you claim it represents, looking at stats especially when they're so close can't be a ruling factor on who is a better player or not. I stand my comment that you won't find many if any non-BD people who will say Mushy is better than Babar.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:25 pm
Kriterion_BD wrote:

By your own stats you showed it proves both players are neck and neck average and strike rate wise, the only stat which Mushy is much stronger is average against big 5 overseas (Babar has better strike rate) but that's a mute stat because Babar has played against Australia in Australia and done well, Mushy hasn't. Also whilst Babar has played England in England (for a reasonable return) Mushy has one game against England in England.
Scoring runs against Australia in Australia isn't the ultimate 2019 benchmark since Babar Azam's made his debut though. Thats like saying scoring runs against West Indies in the Caribbean is still the benchmark because of Holding, Garner, and Marshall. Cummins (who I rate immensely, btw), Starc, and company aren't that much better statistically than Rabada or Boult or Bumrah.

In fact, since the last World Cup, Bangladesh's bowling attack at home is the benchmark. Took me by surprise...I knew we were decent, but figured India was #1 (England's bowling attack sucks and is marginally stronger with Archer's emergence). Granted BD have played a lot of games vs lesser sides, but still SL and the Windies are still half decent batting sides.

Regardless, Babar Azam hasn't played against BD in BD.

Getting back to the thread...this win by PAK was just what the tournament needed to get some spark in it. Because it proves some things some might not have known:

1) Pakistan can't be counted out (I had, and still think their chances of making the semis are as unlikely as Bangladesh's and more likely than Afghanistan's)
2) England can't be counted in [favorites, smavorites...they simply don't have the pedigree (2010 T20 win doesn't count) to win championships...I think they are highly likely to make the semis and perhaps even the final...but they will be beaten]
3) South Africa are chokers (at 190-3, they were actually well in control of Bangladesh, but then succumbed...I wouldn't call that a choke per se, afterall chasing 330 is no joke even on a flat track, but the Proteas like England simply don't have a culture of collecting silverware)
4) Bangladesh are dark horses (I've been saying for the past 6-12 months, the will win 4-5 games and thereby be in the equation till the final week of the group stage...even most BD fans weren't that optimistic. But now even with a shock loss to say SL or Afghanistan, BD should still get 4 wins at least)
5) Windies ??? (no idea how to judge them...after all their game only lasted 30 overs :lol: I would need to see them over 2-3 games to get an accurate picture...they might pull off 4-5 wins themselves and also contend for a semifinal berth)

England, India, Australia, New Zealand - are the 4 semifinalists IMO. AUS to beat England (or perhaps India) in the final.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Now Bangladesh are the bench mark of ODI bowling 😂😂😂😂

Now I’ve heard it all 😂😂😂😂

And before you throw stats at me the world has moved on from producing shitty ODI wickets, it’s all about flat decks for optimum run scoring.

Again I don’t think you’ll find many people who will backmyour comments
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

jaybro wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:25 pm
Kriterion_BD wrote:

So that last stat isn't really a true reflection of what you claim it represents, looking at stats especially when they're so close can't be a ruling factor on who is a better player or not. I stand my comment that you won't find many if any non-BD people who will say Mushy is better than Babar.
Thank you so much for typing exactly what I was about to say . Blind stats by you kriterion and only writing what you feel is necessary for your arguments, ignoring facts . Sorry man but Babar is a better player currently and will finish his career ahead of the Bangladeshi pair by a mile. Also not everyone thinks Bangladesh are below Nepal , you sound like a spoilt brat who’s sooking because he hasn’t got what he wants . Bangladesh are a very very good team
Hence why they just beat South Africa , they don’t have to many “ superstars “ like other nations but they are guided brilliantly by your captain mortaZa and cheered on by some of the games best fans . Your one player who is better than Babar And most other players in the world is shakib. He is a modern day great and does not get the credit he truely deserves . I was never attacking
You or trying to disrespect Bangladesh , just showing the respect baba deserves .
Last edited by Andybligzz on Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

Can we make a thread for the biggest blunder of the year in terms of comments / arguments / false stats ect and have a group vote at Christmas time . This would be hilarious and a prestigious award to receive.
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Andybligzz wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:04 am
Can we make a thread for the biggest blunder of the year in terms of comments / arguments / false stats ect and have a group vote at Christmas time . This would be hilarious and a prestigious award to receive.
This