[NEWS] ICC comes to rescue of Zimbabwe's Irish tour

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

[NEWS] ICC comes to rescue of Zimbabwe's Irish tour

Post by tawac »

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/spor ... 72727.html
By Ian Callender

June 3 2019

The Zimbabwe tour to Ireland in July will go ahead in its entirety but only after Cricket Ireland chairman Ross McCollum had to go cap in hand to the ICC, the world's governing body, asking for an extra $500,000 on top of its bi-annual contributions.

Rumours that the tour, which involves three one-day internationals and three T20 internationals to be played in Stormont and Bready from July 1-14, was in doubt have been rife for weeks but it has just been revealed that it was Cricket Ireland who could not afford to stage them, following losses from last month's one-off one-day international against England and the Tri-Series with West Indies and Bangladesh.

Ticket sales were disappointing but that was compounded by Cricket Ireland being victims of an organised internet scam, which affected around half-a-dozen companies in Dublin over the last six months, taking out hundreds of thousands of euros.

"This was a one-off payment from ICC not included in our fees, explained Cricket Ireland chairman Ross McCollum.

"We had a six-figure hole to replace because of the fraud and lack of (spectator) support at the internationals and the only way to do that was to look at the possibility of cancelling the Zimbabwe tour which is going to cost half a million, with both men's and women's teams coming.

"So I approached ICC and they agreed to release some of their Full Member funding from a reputational point of view for both ourselves and themselves which wouldn't have been great (if the tour had not gone ahead).

It is the second cash crisis to hit Cricket Ireland in the last six months after CEO Warren Deutrom was forced to dip into his own pocket and loan the organisation €100,000, to help pay staff and creditors, but McCollum was keen to stress the circumstances were quite different.

"Warren's loan was a cash flow situation, and was always going to be repaid once ICC's money arrived within two or three weeks. This one, as regards the fraud, it was out of our control and, indeed, the cyber security firm we got in to look at it said it was one of the most elaborate they had dealt with it, so we were never going to pick it up.

"It's quite simple if you do not have enough money in the account you have to act and if we hadn't got assistance from ICC the Zimbabwe tour would have been called off."

Temporary stands were erected at Malahide for the ODI against England to accommodate 8,500 spectators but less than half that figure turned up.

The seven-match Tri-series, which also involved three games between West Indies and Bangladesh, including the final, was also poorly attended.

The ODIs against Zimbabwe are at Bready on July 1 and Stormont on July 4 and 7, with a T20 series to follow, the first game in Belfast on July 10 and the remaining two back at Bready on July 12 and 14.

All three T20s matches are double headers with the Women's series between the two teams.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: [NEWS] ICC comes to rescue of Zimbabwe's Irish tour

Post by jaybro »

Very sad indeed that Ireland are having such cash flow issues like ZC, good work from the ICC helping out.

I guess this shows despite their heroics in the last 12 years Irish people just don't care about cricket, if they can't get 8,500 people to a game v England they're pretty much doomed IMO, lucky to see 100 people for the Zimbabwe series.

It would be great if Ireland and Zimbabwe could play each other regularly but with both organisations strapped for cash this will likely be the last series for a while.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Googly

Post by Googly »

Any info on that internet scam?

SpitfiresKent

Post by SpitfiresKent »

the Zimbabwe tour which is going to cost half a million, with both men's and women's teams coming.
Why does it cost so much to host a couple of games of cricket?

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by maehara »

SpitfiresKent wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:21 am
the Zimbabwe tour which is going to cost half a million, with both men's and women's teams coming.
Why does it cost so much to host a couple of games of cricket?
Off the top of my head:
- travel within Ireland for both teams;
- match fees for the Irish players;
- accommodation & food for the visiting sides;
- lease of equipment / seating for the grounds (the grounds in use for this series have no permanent seating for spectators);
- lease of AV equipment & temporary infrastructure for televising the matches, payment of the TV crews & commentators;
- public liability insurance for the grounds (legal requirement).

That's for starters. There may be other bills to pay - e.g. Cricket Ireland doesn't own the grounds, they could be expected to pay rent for the days they're in use (e.g. Stormont ground is owned by the NI Civil Service Sports & Recreation Club, their premises are closed on match days and they'd be well within their rights to expect payment to cover loss of other income). Half a million isn't really that much for a series in the grand scheme of things.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I can understand it costing that much in Zim because you have to factor in the theft of a good percentage of it.
As an aside Amnesty International have closed their offices here because the human rights activists have been caught with their paws in the till. It’s a f%^* disease here.
Yeah I’d love to see a breakdown of realistic expenses vs what’s been billed and paid.
Surely they’re going to offset some of those expenses through gate takings and most importantly through selling the game to a tv station?
How do Ireland get scammed out of money via an internet deal? Might be better not to enlighten us because our men will be all over that one. :lol:

Googly

Post by Googly »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.indepe ... 71031.html

And if anyone believes this they’re part of the problem. Those payers just need rounding up and tortured for sending money to themselves.

Googly

Post by Googly »

And if Ireland can’t make money out of a game against England they’re doing something wrong.

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

I’m with googly on this one
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

The Nigerians got to Ireland Cricket boards inbox.

It really shouldn’t cost much t host a game of cricket.
Prepare pitch.
Mow the lawn.
Hotel and bus for visiting team
Security and bar/ticket staff.

If kids leagues can do it, so can an international board
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.