Zimbabwe squad vs Netherlands

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimbos_05

Re: Zimbabwe squad vs Netherlands

Post by zimbos_05 »

I had a think about this again and if the guys with the English clubs refused to come back, then it is understandable.

If their clubs denied them, then there's some issues ZC needs to work on.

In saying that, there are still so many youngsters not with English clubs who would have been better options than Chigumbura and Mutumbami. That is the disappointing thing. It is showing that ZC will always pander to their mates and the youngsters are going to be lost and we could end up in worse position than we were in 04/05.

Also, great to see KNVB Cricket live streaming this series.

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

Just had a little nosy at Nick Welch's latest scores for Surrey 2's.

. 72
. 90
. 80

Unbelievable that he's not gone on to register a century. As googly rightly pointed out, this Surrey squad is oozing with batting talent at the moment. Ryan Patel, Will Jacks, Sam Curran and Ollie Pope are just killing it right now, and the only way Welch is going to break in is by scoring big big scores.
Having said that, there may well be a slight opening now that Pope is out for the foreseeable future.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Well Surrey are actually having a shocking time of it. I don’t think they’ve won more than 2 games in all formats.
Unless they fire at the back end of the season they may be looking at relegation. They have a lot of injuries, the youngsters haven’t really fired with the bat and there’s certainly s gap there if Welchie weighs in with some runs going down the straight. I don’t see Harinath getting a renewal, he’s good, but essentially a second team player and has an injury. Pope should be back soon from shoulder surgery and it will be interesting to see how he goes and who has to make room for him, he’s a top player. Welchie has had Uni cricket commitments which are holding him up, but he should get opportunities soon. Eddie seems out of favour at Somerset and he’ll be lucky to get his contract renewed and I see Snater doesn’t seem to be in the Dutch squad to play us. Somerset are having a great run and it’s counting heavily against Ed who’s just watching it roll out badly for him at present- such a cruel game when you’re trying to establish yourself. I think Trescothick’s imminent retirement may well save Ed, and he deserves a shot, he’s a talented batsman.
I think this 100 ball nonsense format will also open up some opportunities for NW because it will be quite well funded and a few squads may pick up one or two more players. Opening against the white ball is definitely his strong suit, he plays too many shots early on in red ball.
Not many county batters have been too consistent this season, the pitches have been bowler friendly.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I haven’t seen much of Ben Curran either, certainly not in ones or even twos, he played last game and did ok I think he must have also had an injury. This rain is very disruptive and does batters no favours whatsoever.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

sam_ahm wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:29 am

They may not get a game but I think since Mavuta has lost form they wanted to give mutambami another chance. Chigumbura shouldn't get a game I think.
I think you’re mistaken bro, Mavuta is a leg spinner whilst Mutumbami is a keeper?

As someone pointed out I’m sure there were more options than having to pick Elton or Mutumbami, the squad is an ageing one so what’s the point of having two older guys warming the bench??
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Good to see the Dutch squad is swaying back to home grown locals. A couple of years ago, it was about half native and half Pakistani/Indian. This is better for growth.

Netherlands should be an ICC focus. One of those countries that with investment, can be a genuine test contender.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

Yeh the Dutch could be a good stable place for cricket and they can definitely produce some good cricketers .
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

andrewn9

Post by andrewn9 »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:19 am
Good to see the Dutch squad is swaying back to home grown locals. A couple of years ago, it was about half native and half Pakistani/Indian. This is better for growth.

Netherlands should be an ICC focus. One of those countries that with investment, can be a genuine test contender.
Now it's half home grown locals and half South Africans/New Zealanders/Aussies with a Dutch connection

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

andrewn9 wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:34 am
ZIMDOGGY wrote:

Now it's half home grown locals and half South Africans/New Zealanders/Aussies with a Dutch connection
Thought about that, but it will dry up pretty much... now.
There’s no real Dutch migration anymore to the Southern Hemisphere apart from holiday visa overstayers who fell in love with Aussie dick. In ten years there will only be 1/2. I do predict South African afrikaners will move there though because of the language and heritage.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:32 pm
andrewn9 wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:34 am
ZIMDOGGY wrote:

Thought about that, but it will dry up pretty much... now.
There’s no real Dutch migration anymore to the Southern Hemisphere apart from holiday visa overstayers who fell in love with Aussie dick. In ten years there will only be 1/2. I do predict South African afrikaners will move there though because of the language and heritage.
Not sure at what particular time the Dutch had more than one or two players of South Asian extraction in their side? They have always relied heavily on players from the southern hemisphere, more often than not two thirds of the squad. The last time they were at the T20 WC, when Cooper became available at the last minute, they kicked one of the few remaining Dutchmen out of the side, told him he was now considered "injured" and no longer wanted. He was pretty pissed off and retired pronto.

But five or six players born in the Netherlands is indeed a more oranje squad than usually.