[ Poll ] Has Zimbabwe fallen to Kenya levels?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!

Has Zimbabwe fallen to Kenya levels?

Yes
7
39%
No
11
61%
 
Total votes: 18

User avatar
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator
Posts: 7527
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:22 pm
Contact:

[ Poll ] Has Zimbabwe fallen to Kenya levels?

Post by brmtaylor.com admin » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:05 am

Has Zimbabwe now officially reached the level of Kenya?

ZIMDOGGY
Posts: 4290
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:40 pm
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: [ Poll ] Has Zimbabwe fallen to Kenya levels?

Post by ZIMDOGGY » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:53 pm

It will if nothing significantly changes after the next World Cup campaign, as the players that are papering over the cracks, Taylor, Raza, Jarvis, etc retire.

Think of Zimbabwe’s A team, guys 30 and under, and tell me with a straight face they are capable of beating the top associates, forget test teams.

The only way out I see is throwing good money at the Byrom and Welches.
Money that they may not be worth but, it is that or death.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

**
Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Kriterion_BD
Posts: 4398
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:41 am

Re: [ Poll ] Has Zimbabwe fallen to Kenya levels?

Post by Kriterion_BD » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:07 pm

They are where Kenya was at around 2007-2008. Kenya have fallen further into the abyss since then. They weren't even at the WCQ.

Zimbabwe won't fall that far, but they might fall to the level of a Canada or UAE.
(my cricket podcast) https://aewahid.podbean.com

User avatar
Andybligzz
Posts: 747
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:07 am
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: [ Poll ] Has Zimbabwe fallen to Kenya levels?

Post by Andybligzz » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:53 am

Once we lose the core group of players listed above we are fucked . Plain and simple
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

sloandog
Posts: 7448
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:28 am
Supports: MidWest Rhinos
Location: Manchester UK

Re: [ Poll ] Has Zimbabwe fallen to Kenya levels?

Post by sloandog » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:30 am

Andybligzz wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:53 am
Once we lose the core group of players listed above we are fucked . Plain and simple
Yea there's nobody to come in, and we will be well and truly screwed

User avatar
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator
Posts: 7527
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:22 pm
Contact:

Re: [ Poll ] Has Zimbabwe fallen to Kenya levels?

Post by brmtaylor.com admin » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:38 am

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:53 pm
It will if nothing significantly changes after the next World Cup campaign, as the players that are papering over the cracks, Taylor, Raza, Jarvis, etc retire.

Think of Zimbabwe’s A team, guys 30 and under, and tell me with a straight face they are capable of beating the top associates, forget test teams.

The only way out I see is throwing good money at the Byrom and Welches.
Money that they may not be worth but, it is that or death.
I think, realistically, we're at the end of the road. Welch and company aren't ever coming back. A true Zim A team wouldn't beat anyone, you're right.

When I say "realistically", I mean of course there's things that could be done to make the situation better - but we all know those things won't happen; and on the rare occasion that they do happen then the people effecting positive change will be lost to the system due to the incompetence of those above.

Time to get some 17/18 year olds in the team and leave them there while there's still some decent senior players around to guide them.

The problem isn't that we can't find the next Flower or even the next Taylor, it's that we can't find the next Masakadza or Taibu.

ZIMDOGGY
Posts: 4290
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:40 pm
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: [ Poll ] Has Zimbabwe fallen to Kenya levels?

Post by ZIMDOGGY » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:32 pm

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:38 am
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:53 pm
It will if nothing significantly changes after the next World Cup campaign, as the players that are papering over the cracks, Taylor, Raza, Jarvis, etc retire.

Think of Zimbabwe’s A team, guys 30 and under, and tell me with a straight face they are capable of beating the top associates, forget test teams.

The only way out I see is throwing good money at the Byrom and Welches.
Money that they may not be worth but, it is that or death.
I think, realistically, we're at the end of the road. Welch and company aren't ever coming back. A true Zim A team wouldn't beat anyone, you're right.

When I say "realistically", I mean of course there's things that could be done to make the situation better - but we all know those things won't happen; and on the rare occasion that they do happen then the people effecting positive change will be lost to the system due to the incompetence of those above.

Time to get some 17/18 year olds in the team and leave them there while there's still some decent senior players around to guide them.

The problem isn't that we can't find the next Flower or even the next Taylor, it's that we can't find the next Masakadza or Taibu.
Regarding the boys. It is my educated opinion that there is just enough homesickness with those guys that if you threw a decent chunk of money at them, more than the average county wage, they will be back. ZC will need to throw the cash and make it worth it though.

You are dead right in your last sentence. We get excited about Burl and Musakanda, but they have both literally done nothing at international level. Gavin Ewing, from number 9 in the order did better than them at this sytage of his career 17 years ago.
From what I have gathered, both from observation and Googlys posts,is the junior setup is rotten from the core. It’s just dissipated and fizzled out in Zimbabwe. The kids who are producing are remnants of the colonial era (for lack of a better description) who employ coaches from another era to develop the talent with a view to going overseas.
No different from an American who loves Aussie rules footy who makes a genuine effort to watch online. The exception to the rule.

You can see it. Out last premium junior intake was the mid 00s. The late 00s has decent one offs like Jarvis and Chatara, but where are the kids of the last 5 years?
Do they even play in Zimbabwe ?
Whatever magical formula there used to be that made zim cricketers much better per capita than other countries has been dismantled.
There is like 500 cricketers in the country. 500 can only produce so much first class, let alone world class talent. It’s evened out now. And with the decaying foundation, it will erode below equity levels.
It’s all maths.
Like I said, throw cheese at the Welches and Byron’s and buy time for a miracle. Zimdoggy.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

**
Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

User avatar
eugene
Posts: 6772
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:31 pm
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: [ Poll ] Has Zimbabwe fallen to Kenya levels?

Post by eugene » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:52 pm

Yeah I think we are truly at the end of the road. Even if Byrom and Welch came back that wouldn't be enough. You need like 10-15 of those guys to truly have international-calibre depth. The biggest obstacle to turning things around is that not only is ZC a disaster, the country is a basketcase. Truly our best hope is some change in ICC and immigration rules which allows players to ply their trade overseas but still represent their homeland. Asking any seriously talented international cricketer to make a living just playing for Zimbabwe and in ZImbabwe is not realistic any more.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

User avatar
jaybro
Posts: 8129
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:36 am
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: [ Poll ] Has Zimbabwe fallen to Kenya levels?

Post by jaybro » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:23 am

I think there’s still enough good players who could play for Zimbabwe that could keep them at a competitive level, whether not they can get them back is the question.

The SRC have suspended the board in brought in a good looking interim board IMO, as long as the ICC doesn’t suspend Zimbabwe I think finally there might be some Hope things could turn around.

As Googly has been saying for years cricket has been dying slowly in Zimbabwe and losing players at a regular rate as well, the cupboard is bare atm but hopefully things are ready to change.
1.G.Flower 2.B.Taylor 3.M.Goodwin 4.A.Flower 5.D.Houghton 6.N.Johnson 7.T.Taibu 8.P.Strang 9.H.Streak 10.R.Price 11.H.Olonga 12.A.Campbell

ZIMDOGGY
Posts: 4290
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:40 pm
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: [ Poll ] Has Zimbabwe fallen to Kenya levels?

Post by ZIMDOGGY » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:19 am

Whenever I post a job online, there’s always a bunch of Zimbabweans applying from inside Zimbabwe. Completely ignorant of the tough visa laws.
Every man and his dog wants out.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

**
Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 7 guests