Cricket in Africa ruined by Qouta system, Kolpak deal & Administration.?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Cricket in Africa ruined by Qouta system, Kolpak deal & Administration.?

Post by jaybro »

Interestingly they ignored the fact that Stuey had been given a mountain of chances prior to that series & hadn't done anything really to claim rights to a spot in a very good side at that stage. I like Stuey & I felt his career was set back greatly by a number of reasons, he was a better player than his numbers suggest, but at that time it was clear they wanted him in the side at all costs.

The fact Makoni was going to dig up the pitch because Stuey was going to be left out shows he (Makoni) wasn't level headed enough to be involved in such high stakes professional sport, laughable now 15 years on he's been involved in ZC the whole time and held many high profile roles.

The fact which was ignored throughout this article is that the player they wanted to replace Stuey with was Mark Vermeulan, now at the time Rex had been in good form in recent months having a good tour of Aus and scoring a Test 100 v the Windies along with a couple of ODI 60's in match winning displays. It wasn't like he was being replaced by some unworthy white fella.

Looking back at Osais' claim that they brought the game to the wider community and have inspired black people to love, support and play the game is off the mark big time. Looking at the current state of affairs yes the large majority of domestic players are black, but looking at the national team at full strength there could be up to 8 non-black players in the side which is hardly a glowing reflection of the legacy they claim to have left.

The best crop of Black players who all came through together like Hami, Taibu, Vusi, Chigs, Tinashe and even Stuey would have all been 'inspired' by the Flower/Streak era which is ironic in itself.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

The game has not been brought to the masses at all. There are a handful of black guys that just so happen to outnumber the handful of white guys. Cricket still seems to have a meagre following in Zimbabwe. There would be as many black guys playing cricket now if ZC had done nothing towards affirmative action. The only thing it has achieved is driving white and asian players elsewhere. ZC improved the racial ratios but not the actual numbers.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

eugene wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:17 pm
The game has not been brought to the masses at all. There are a handful of black guys that just so happen to outnumber the handful of white guys. Cricket still seems to have a meagre following in Zimbabwe. There would be as many black guys playing cricket now if ZC had done nothing towards affirmative action. The only thing it has achieved is driving white and asian players elsewhere. ZC improved the racial ratios but not the actual numbers.
That's the picture they're trying to paint though
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

What inspires is success.
One of the only sports Zimbabwe could compete wit the best in.

It’s completely clear to zodiacs that results simply didn’t matter at all.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Only Ozias could manage to make himself a bigger toss pot in his own words.

How is digging up the pitch in the best interests? I laughed so much when he was trying to say, It was not Matsis fault. Then he gets dropped and Zim win.

How also is the game with the masses when all we have is 4 domestic sides and no club cricket. Even if each side has 15 players. That is only 60 players. Less the pool we had under white administration.

Just the worst kind of people, and Hammy fought for them.

zimbot

Post by zimbot »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:04 pm
He actually thinks he’s a hero.
Even Hitler thought he was a hero.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Whoever wrote that is trying to claim that only 55 people played cricket :lol: now there’s only 80, what a win!!
The main thing was club cricket and there were realistically a couple of hundred adults that played a decent standard of cricket as amateurs and a lot more that played to a lower standard.
There’s a lot less players than that now so what they’ve really done is taken cricket away from the minority and now virtually nobody plays it at all unless they get given money for bus fare :lol:
That war-cry of “now we’ve given cricket to the people” must be exposed for the outrageous lie that it is. In the year 2000 40 000 whites played a lot more cricket than 16 000 000 blacks do now.
Some guy like Makoni, Bvute or Chingoka trying to claim they’ve done good and left a legacy is contemptible. They’ve destroyed all cricket and hidden behind the “we’re bringing cricket to the people” horse-shit lie so they can steal, that’s all. Incompetent, racist corrupt thieves, the whole lot of them. They may have believed in the cause up until the point they realized they could scoop some cash, which was on about day 2.
The story of white kids being able to afford sport is equally annoying. Most white kids went to the same government schools that all the black kids go to now. They all played cricket, thousands of them, and now nobody does. Governments didn’t run those schools, poor white people kept them going. Whites didn’t come here in their ox wagons with cricket kit heaped in the back,, they came here with nothing and built a beautiful country in 50 years. In the last 40 years (almost the same amount of time) most of what was created has been smashed beyond repair and if you can name me one thing, just one, that has been done well I will keep quiet.
Black folk took over with everything working just fine and they have broken every single last thing. We built this country under the harshest sanctions imaginable, personal sanctions targeting 30 people are now to blame for us being a failed state. There is absolutely no proper excuse for what they’ve done except for stupidity, greed and incompetence.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

eugene wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:17 pm
I think what he meant was in terms of citizen interest. Cricket is statistically speaking the second most popular sport in Zim now.

That is a start because the first thing you need to do is create the dream. The likes of Hami and taibu and Elton and maybe recently Blessing have shown you can make something of yourself playing cricket but the quota system is the wrong way to do it. Investing in random rural schools also will not do the trick.

With the limited resources they have they should invest heavily in a select few black dominated government schools with a rich sports history. Churchill and Prince Edward would be a couple of my picks. They should scout talent all over and send potential kids on scholarships there. Put real infrastructure there and pay good quality coaches. They will eventually produce talent. Transformation should not be an overnight process that is where they missed the trick. Unfortunately sports like cricket and golf don't usually produce random talents from the middle of nowhere. Thousands of hours of practice are needed to get anywhere near international quality

I don't think any of that matters anymore anyway because there arent enough white players in the system anymore anyway. Look at the u19 team. The economy has done all the hard work for ZC.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

jaybro wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:24 pm
Interestingly they ignored the fact that Stuey had been given a mountain of chances prior to that series & hadn't done anything really to claim rights to a spot in a very good side at that stage. I like Stuey & I felt his career was set back greatly by a number of reasons, he was a better player than his numbers suggest, but at that time it was clear they wanted him in the side at all costs.

The fact Makoni was going to dig up the pitch because Stuey was going to be left out shows he (Makoni) wasn't level headed enough to be involved in such high stakes professional sport, laughable now 15 years on he's been involved in ZC the whole time and held many high profile roles.

The fact which was ignored throughout this article is that the player they wanted to replace Stuey with was Mark Vermeulan, now at the time Rex had been in good form in recent months having a good tour of Aus and scoring a Test 100 v the Windies along with a couple of ODI 60's in match winning displays. It wasn't like he was being replaced by some unworthy white fella.

Looking back at Osais' claim that they brought the game to the wider community and have inspired black people to love, support and play the game is off the mark big time. Looking at the current state of affairs yes the large majority of domestic players are black, but looking at the national team at full strength there could be up to 8 non-black players in the side which is hardly a glowing reflection of the legacy they claim to have left.

The best crop of Black players who all came through together like Hami, Taibu, Vusi, Chigs, Tinashe and even Stuey would have all been 'inspired' by the Flower/Streak era which is ironic in itself.
The smart thing to do in that situation would have been to drop Dion Ebrahim. It's not like he was setting the world on fire anyway. In fact the likes of Stuey Vusi and Elton all ended up with better averages than him

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

TapsC wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:05 am

I think what he meant was in terms of citizen interest. Cricket is statistically speaking the second most popular sport in Zim now.
I don't buy this. I remember the Tri-Series with West Indies and India where HSC had sell out ground. Even the series against England was super busy. I remember a few other series that were drawing huge crowds. I don't think the fans cared too much whether the people in the kit were white, black, blue, orange...just as long as they were Zim and Zim had an opportunity to win.

I remember sell out crazy packed stadiums at the Showgrounds for the Davis Cup, which had an all white team. The match against Chile was truly memorable. The Black brothers won the doubles after an intense game and that stadium went berserk. There was no issue of colour. The fans couldn't care less. I saw a big african guy crying when Zim won that tie.

The narrative of black people are suffering has been peddled by those doing it and that is where it is now seeping in on the idea of black empowerment.