Past,Present & Future

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Bele

Past,Present & Future

Post by Bele »

The current farce that Zim cricket finds itself in will eventually play out in 2 scenarios,

1.The current board is replaced with some meaningful people.
2.The ICC will just let this situation drift along whilst slowly turning off the finances.

The lack of planning,bringing through of new talent etc,etc will bring an end to cricket via scenario 2

In the past we have been blessed with some extremely naturally talented people and a very strong club structure which nurtured young players along.This is why there were so many English players coming to play in the 90s as the standard of national league cricket was very high.We had 99 players involved every Sunday playing 60 overs and this was a great feeder.

Combined with the Zim A team playing Castle Bowl,County touring sides and international touring teams playing warm ups there was plenty of opportunity to see where we lay in terms of talent.

The current national side is probably on its last legs as a number of these players will be looking to move on soon due to money et etc and this will be the end of the ICC’s Zimbabwe headache as the dearth of new talent is plainly evident and this whole sorry chapter will be closed!!!

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: Past,Present & Future

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Afghanistan have been better than us for a number of years. We're being beaten consistently by Netherlands and Ireland now.
This is with Taylor, Williams, etc in the team.

I reckon the end's not near, it's here. :(

Scenario 3: the ICC don't accept the new board, funding is cut off in its entirety and that's all she wrote.

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by maehara »

^^ Yup.

So I will be at tomorrow’s game, Zim shirt on, because I think there’s a good possibility this will be the last series we play.

Zimco
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Zimco »

Last series ever? I doubt it

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

No way that this is the last series for Zimbos.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Lol at people taking ‘the end’ literally
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Are we really going to use the country as an excuse, I mean yes it is, but look at Afghanistan and Pakistan. Literally no international games in their countries. War torn and ravaged by terrorism. No international players want to travel there for their domestic leagues, not that Afghanistan has a domestic league that we hear about.

Our problem stems from two things;

1) Maladministration and incorrect running of the game
2) Players who use cricket as a past time, rather than a professional career

Fix these things and players who take this sport seriously will want to play for Zim. They will come back and want to play for our national team and in our domestic leagues, because despite the situation of the economy, Zim is still a place many would live in and does not suffer from the effects of war or terrorism.

I know money is needed to run the game, but with the right administration that operates separately from the governing party, you can make money. If cricket development and quality improves, teams will want to tour Zim. They will play in the domestic league etc etc. With this comes TV money and sponsorship deals. A proper sponsorship deal with a reputable sport manufacturer and you start selling retro shirts and so on and adds in another revenue stream. Getting involved in social media and actively using it correctly again provides a revenue stream. ZC can be financially viable outside of the economy, but it needs the right administration.

tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by tawac »

Could be the end really. The Zim game just hasnt been the same since owe four. Sad but the fat lady 'bout to sing.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

Googly

Post by Googly »

SRC should have the final say on who goes to watch the netball. They’ve flexed their muscles before in team selections etc and there’s no better time. We want to know from the ministers themselves what they think they’re doing fiddling whilst Rome burns. How can we have people like this running our country? It’s a shameful disgrace. There’s the passport crisis as well. 300 000 passports prepaid by the public yet they’re claiming there’s no money for paper!! Well where’s the one million dollars that you collected for these passports???
These people want to get the hell out of here as well, you’d think the government would be more than happy to oblige, that’s a lot less people to worry about and cheap at the price. Of course they’re probably the better educated and able folk, leaving us with even less people with capacity to help, but it’s also the disgruntled noisy ones, we’ll be left with guys who can be bribed once every 4 years with 5kg bags of roller meal, which is what’s required to run our democracy.
And the $1.4m “earmarked” for a stadium!! The tragic part is that a lot of people think it’s a fine idea. No water, no electricity, but let’s build a stadium for $1.4. It will seat 100 people and of course will have no water and no electricity. God help us all.
Anyone in charge of funds here immediately thinks it’s theirs to do with what they please, what will it take to find people that don’t have that mentality? If you put 10 people in charge they collude. What is wrong with us?

Googly

Post by Googly »

These guys are working on the assumption that as long as there’s sporting entertainment the populace will keep calm. We’re in the final days of Rome.