Liam Brickhill (gomorezvidinha

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Mueddie28

Post by Mueddie28 »

zimbos_05

Re: Liam Brickhill (gomorezvidinha

Post by zimbos_05 »

Congratulations...

Googly

Post by Googly »

So the Brickhills are an interesting family. Liam’s father and uncle were in ZIPRA during the liberation struggle, they were based in Zambia I believe. They were maybe 2 of less than half a dozen whites that were actively involved and were based in neighboring countries. Of course there were many white supporters that sympathized and gave assistance, others just left rather than face conscription, but his family were actually involved in command structures. I believe they were close to Mr Dabengwa. I think his dad was targeted at a bombing in Avondale, but survived it. His uncle had a book store in Avondale and I think the café next door was where the bomb went off, if memory serves.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Googly wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:07 pm
So the Brickhills are an interesting family. Liam’s father and uncle were in ZIPRA during the liberation struggle, they were based in Zambia I believe. They were maybe 2 of less than half a dozen whites that were actively involved and were based in neighboring countries. Of course there were many white supporters that sympathized and gave assistance, others just left rather than face conscription, but his family were actually involved in command structures. I believe they were close to Mr Dabengwa. I think his dad was targeted at a bombing in Avondale, but survived it. His uncle had a book store in Avondale and I think the café next door was where the bomb went off, if memory serves.
Is his brother (or relative of his) not named Dumiso? I remember seeing something on twitter during Dabengwas funeral, but there were still people spinning it to say how they were Rhodesian sympathisers and were trying to infiltrate the government to get whites back in charge, or something along those lines.

Googly

Post by Googly »

No Dumiso is Mr Dabengwa.

Googly

Post by Googly »

All African liberation struggles have come at a high cost for their freedom. It’s always been my mantra that a country is never free until it’s been freed from its liberators. It’s clear that the old guard only have power and the retention of it in mind, not political and economic freedom. They set up ruling family dynasties that are more elite than anything the colonizers ever dreamt up.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Yes you’re right, there is a family member that’s called Dumiso, not sure who though.

ZIMFAN

Post by ZIMFAN »

Googly I have a question for you if you don't mind. I am curious to know what the reaction would have been to the Brickhills back in the day and, I suppose now, did the white community shun them? Were they hated?

Also I saw around the election some white farmers (former one presumes) at a rally for Emmerson? Has there been any rise in at least tacit and in this case overt support for him with his promise to compensate them?

Googly

Post by Googly »

Well back in the day they were trying to kill him :lol:
I don’t know anything about them other than what I wrote. Liam must have had an interesting childhood post war days with everything still fresh in people’s minds. I would be surprised if he had his childhood here, it would have been extremely difficult for him.
Regarding ED- we were all (black and white) extremely grateful for change, but it’s been a proper lemon. We were at the point of collapse anyway so it wouldn’t have mattered who was driving the bus.
We did have high hopes, but they’ve been well and truly dashed again!
Of course farmers were hoping for compensation, and token payments have been made, but they’re insulting, done to appease IMF to try and borrow more money.
Without security of tenure an economy can’t function, unless you introduce Command Agriculture. Oh wait, that’s been done, and looted beyond imagination. Jonathon Moho posted a tweet accusing ED of syphoning 9B out of this communist plan. I doubt it’s that much, but hundreds of millions have certainly been stolen.