Let's settle this Lagaan style

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Let's settle this Lagaan style

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

There's only one way to settle this. On the field.

I guess most people have seen the movie Lagaan?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagaan
In the small town of Champaner (in the state of Gujarat, western India) during the height of the British Raj in 1893, Captain Andrew Russell (Paul Blackthorne), the commanding officer of the Champaner cantonment, has imposed high taxes ("Lagaan") on people from the local villages. They are unable to pay due to losses caused by a prolonged drought. Led by Bhuvan (Aamir Khan), the villagers pay a visit to Raja Puran Singh (Kulbhushan Kharbanda) to seek his help. Near the palace, they witness a cricket match. Bhuvan mocks the game and gets into an argument with one of the British officers who insults them. Taking an instant dislike to Bhuvan, Russell offers to cancel the taxes of the whole province for three years if the villagers can defeat his men in a game of cricket. If the villagers lose, however, they will have to pay three times their current taxes. Bhuvan accepts this wager on behalf of the villagers in the province, despite their dissent.
I propose we settle this board situation in the same way. It'd be the most passionate match thread in ZCF history.

SRC Board XI vs ZC Chairman's XI
First Class Match - Harare Sports Club (August 1-4)

FREE ADMISSION

The coach of whichever team wins (DEB or TM) would take control of Zimbabwe Cricket. ICC agree to endorse the result. The players of the losing team as well as the officials affiliated with it agree to retire from anything to do with cricket forever.

The players would have to pick a side (and for fun, I think we should use this thread to predict who would represent each team? ;)).

sam_ahm

Re: Let's settle this Lagaan style

Post by sam_ahm »

Ha.. Ha, are you an Indian mate? Settling this lagaan style would be fun :D

What a wonderful movie Lagaan was, I was only a young teenager then. :)

Mueddie28

Re: Let's settle this Lagaan style

Post by Mueddie28 »

SRC Board XI vs ZC Chairman's XI
First Class Match - Harare Sports Club (August 1-4)
I would like to know the lineup