Tri-Series: The Lessons

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Boundary
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Tri-Series: The Lessons

Post by Boundary »

We've had a great series, Taylor and the batting line-up is beginning to settle for the world cup. Today we could've easily posted 250, not enough to win given Dilshan's mood, but it shows our brittle line-up is toughening. Taylor's catch was brilliant just as he was loosening up. Taibu showed ingenuity and thinking on his feet, he hasn't had time to settle down like that for a while. So, our top 3 is set, no need to tinker with it except for injury, IMO.

Which brings me to Lamb. He did exceedingly well to support Taibu today but he resulted in too many dot balls, just when we needed quick rotations. Is he selected for: a) being part of our spin quartet or b) a batter with a good technique sent in to prevent a collapse but with a low strike rate? It can't be both because his strike rate invalidates him as a good allrounder. I'd have thought Chigs is our allrounder, even though his bowling pace is too gentle for the new ball. I like Lamb, his bowling secures his place if our strategy is 4 spinners, 1 seamer & 1 allrounder. This strategy surprised both Bangladesh and WI, but both teams eventually recovered to beat us 4-1; it also surprised Australia in the T20 world cup warm up. I think we should use it as our surprise weapon, under certain conditions. This way, our squad must always have Lamb.

I'm also not too concerned about the middle order, which is a nice feeling given our history with the Zimbabwe Collapse. Any of Coventry, Chigumbura, Ervine, Chibhabha, Blignaut (hell I'd throw in Sibanda, Mutizwa, Vermuelen, Williams and Matsikenyeri - I know, I know) can come into the side and perform.

This leaves my only area of concern: attack. Price, Utseya and Cremer secure places on the basis of being world class spinners. We don't have a world class seamer; Mpofu gets in coz he's currently the best of the lot but Shingirai Masakadza and other youngsters must get a look in very soon. In the meantime Bliggie and Chigs fulfil the medium pace needs. However, because we're boxed in, I feel a debate that should've happened is not taking place. We will lose more games than win if we persist with 3 or even 4 spinners in every match. I really believe that. Unfortunately if I'm right then 2 or even 3 of our top class spinners will have to sit out many matches; being replaced by novice seamers like Jarvis. But if we don't play the likes of Jarvis now, they'll still find international cricket tough when they eventually break into the side. The counter argument is that our domestic standards are improving, let them learn there while they wait for Price and Utseya to retire. In the meantime the spin quartet should continue, maybe we'll survive on the 'death by spin' strategy till we get Test matches again.

Whew! :D

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Tri-Series: The Lessons

Post by sloandog »

A very good observation Boundary :D

In my opinion our pace attack looks much better. I'm going to name our fast bowlers and their speeds at which they bowl:
Ed Rainsford: 128-137kph (80Mph to 85Mph)
Christopher Mpofu: 130-138kph (81Mph to 86mph)
Kyle Jarvis: 130-145kph (81Mph to 90Mph)
Shingrai Mazakadza: 128kph-138kph (80Mph-86mph)
Tendai Chitara: 125-140kph (77Mph-87Mph)
Elton Chigumbura: 120-127kph (74Mph to 79Mph)
Andy Blignaut: 125-135Kph (77Mph-84Mph)

Considering that we're not blessed with fast bowlers at the moment, it's not a bad list looking at that

eugene

Post by eugene »

The main lesson is that we don't need Matsikenyeri in the middle-order anymore.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Zimfanatic69
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by Zimfanatic69 »

eugene wrote:The main lesson is that we don't need Matsikenyeri in the middle-order anymore.

Matsi for tests. Different games tests and one dayers. We need to think about two different teams. Do not underrate Matsi.

Sibanda we do not need.
A talented batsman but a modest, hardworking character, Stuart Matsikenyeri is the third of three school friends from Churchill Boys High School, Harare to represent Zimbabwe in international cricket. - Cricinfo.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Zimfanatic69 wrote:
eugene wrote:The main lesson is that we don't need Matsikenyeri in the middle-order anymore.

Matsi for tests. Different games tests and one dayers. We need to think about two different teams. Do not underrate Matsi.

Sibanda we do not need.
I think the other way. I reckon we need Sibanda in the test arena, but not in the ODI's. Matskinyeri should be disregarded all together, he's not of international standards. But Vusi has a solid technique and would be perfect in out test squad :D

Boundary

Post by Boundary »

I, too, like the look of Sibanda for Tests. If he plays well in the Logan Cup he should be rewarded.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Boundary wrote:I, too, like the look of Sibanda for Tests. If he plays well in the Logan Cup he should be rewarded.
Agreed.
I'll tell you where he impressed me. Against Pakistan in 2008 where he played some unbelievable cricket shots. Look it up and you'll see what i mean. Unbelievable cover drives and flicks through mid wicket. I forgot how much talent this man has.

zimsupporter

Post by zimsupporter »

Oh sloandog its so true..I have seen some best of Vusi, he plays so well when he is on song.I think the problem with him is he lacks confidence when he plays with good sides. He is a typical opener and I think he would do good for sure in test arena where he can take his time, concentrate and stay in crease for long time. I would give couple of chances to Vusi and Lamb for sure if Zim were to return in test, but Matsi we all know he cant bat to international standards. I will give chance to Mutizwa and Rainsford too in test matches but Prosper, Maruma, Coventry, Chibabha wont be in my test squad as they are odi players for me. I will pick either Bliggie or Chigumbura as an allrounder, two spinners Price and Cremer, two fast bowlers and six solid batsman. Taylor, Hammie, Williams, Sean Ervine, Taibu are for certain in my team and the sixth player would be Foster,Craig, Vusi, Lamb or some new good players. I would also try Terry Duffin if the openers are out of form or injured and as far as fast bowling is concerned, I will pick Jarvis/Rainsford/Irealand and some other good bowlers like Mpofu/ Chitara/Sw Masakadza etc

eugene

Post by eugene »

Sibanda clearly has talent but I feel like he lacks the mental toughness to play cricket, certainly test match cricket. Despite all of his experience he still always looks like a player making his debut or very early in his career.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

shumbat

Post by shumbat »

eugene wrote:
Sibanda clearly has talent but I feel like he lacks the mental toughness to play cricket, certainly test match cricket. Despite all of his experience he still always looks like a player making his debut or very early in his career.
I agree Sibanda lacks mental toughness to play at the top, before this tri nations series, i thought the whole team lacked that mental toughness. I bet thats what Butcher and team have been working on. The collapsing in the West Indies, was a sign of lack of mental toughness than lack of skill. With more confidence we have the skill to do much better and win more games.