Our pace Atack

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Our pace Atack

Post by sloandog »

I think the recent Tri Series has shown us some dramatic improvements with the bat from guys like Brendan Taylor, Hamilton Mazakadza and Charles Coventry on some colourful, flamboyant knocks. But it was the pace bowling the impressed me the most.
Having whatched a T.V interview with Heath Streak and Alistair Campbell the other evening, they both said that the pace attack is fast becoming a real improvement. Steak was talking about Chris Mpofu and how much he's impressed him with his pace this series, but he also spoke highly of Shingrai Mazakadza. He said that he clocked up to speeds of 88 mph in the nets at Bulowayo.
But I'm looking at some of our other bowlers;
Kyle Jarvis
Tendai Chitara
Gerland Aleseni

I'm telling you our pace attack isn't as bad as people make out to be. All these bowlers can bowl in exess of 85Mph, and I cant help but think that if Steeak continues to work with the bowlers (Like he has done with Mpofu), our attck will be a potent one for the nera future.

jimbo

Re: Our pace Atack

Post by jimbo »

How did the young lad chatara do in the last 20/20 international in terms of pace and bounce? missed that game :(

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

jimbo wrote:How did the young lad chatara do in the last 20/20 international in terms of pace and bounce? missed that game :(
He bowled very impressively. He and Mpofu extracted some real pace and bounce from the wicket. Chitara bowled 88mph and Mpofu's quickest delivery was 86mph. Good signs :D

Boundary
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Boundary »

I know we've got Utseya, Price and Cremer but I'm salivating about a side with all of Mpofu, Chatara, Jarvis and Ireland. Actually, wouldn't it be great to actually field these guys (with Masakadza Jnr for Ireland) in the Intercontinental Cup next month?

shumbat

Post by shumbat »

Boundary wrote:I know we've got Utseya, Price and Cremer but I'm salivating about a side with all of Mpofu, Chatara, Jarvis and Ireland. Actually, wouldn't it be great to actually field these guys (with Masakadza Jnr for Ireland) in the Intercontinental Cup next month?
Agree the Interntional Cup would be good guys like Masakadza jnr, even Chatara plus Jarvis, Aliseni to horn their skills. Ireland are a good team so they will need to work hard, we already know are spinners are world class anyway.

bigdoggpitbull

Post by bigdoggpitbull »

i am a huge fan of speed..it is so important in the game..its gud to see our bowlers r gettin their pace up to the 140kph area..i think to be succesfull in test cricket u need bowlers seaming it around at this pace..with aliseni 95mph(153), jarvis 92mph(148),vitori 89mph(143) chitara+ masakadza jnr 88mph(142), ervine+ireland 87mph(140), mpofu 86mph(138) even blig is bowling 85mph(137) we will hav a strong bowling unit to pick from..i think if we had mpofu and jarvis/aliseni openin, then ireland/ervine and chitara/blignaut second changes then we'd trouble the batsman the whole day..

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Who's Vitori......somebody I've missed >>?? :shock:
And we're only assuming that Ireland returns, he like Ervine may get an extension to his contract.

bigdoggpitbull

Post by bigdoggpitbull »

brian vitori plays for southerns..he has always been one of the quicker bowlers around definitely quicker than chitara nd co..

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

bigdoggpitbull wrote:brian vitori plays for southerns..he has always been one of the quicker bowlers around definitely quicker than chitara nd co..
Then why hasn't he been recognised by Heath Streak ?? :shock:
My god, get him in ! If he's as quick as Chitara, who bowled 87Mph the other evening, this boy should be given a chance in the A side at least to prove him worth...
What's his speeds ?? Anybody know ??

Zimfanatic69
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by Zimfanatic69 »

Pace is only part of the deal. Control and direction is needed as well. We do not want bad fast bowlers as batsmen score easy boundaries from them.
A talented batsman but a modest, hardworking character, Stuart Matsikenyeri is the third of three school friends from Churchill Boys High School, Harare to represent Zimbabwe in international cricket. - Cricinfo.