Zimbabwe election and cricket

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Zimbabwe election and cricket

Post by eugene »

Hello everyone,

What are peoples thoughts on Zimbabwean cricket and the election. Will the election result have any effect on cricket in the country? Will an MDC victory spell the end for Chingoka, Bvute, and all the other thugs that run cricket in the country?

So many questions.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: Zimbabwe election and cricket

Post by maehara »

Not knowing the political leanings of everyone here, can I just say: if there are differences in political opinion, keep 'em polite, please.

That said... MDC policy on sport is this:
SPORT AND RECREATION
The MDC recognizes that the physical well-being of a nation is an importantmfoundation for the health of its people. Sport can also help stimulate our national capacity for the utilization of those skills that are necessary in a growing and complex society. Sport and physical education are an integral part in the maintenance of public health and social integration, playing an important part in uniting the nation.

An imaginative sports policy also has the positive effect of removing barriers based on race, creed, age, gender, religion and political preference. The MDC holds it as an article of faith that all citizens must be afforded an opportunity to take part in
sporting activities of their choice. Consequently, the MDC government will:
- Invest in sports development and the required physical infrastructure.
- Ensure that hitherto underprivileged communities are afforded full opportunity to participate in a wide spectrum of available sporting activities.
- Put in place a new, effective and accountable democratic structures for the management of sport.
- Ensure the full participation of women in all sporting disciplines.
- Strengthen the various national sporting associations while allowing them to function independently of government interference.
- Offer incentives for private-sector funding of sport.
- Establish a National Sports Federation that will manage all international sporting activities including the Olympic and Commonwealth Games.
I've highlighted the bit that might affect ZC - but with the whole election all still up in the air, I wouldn't be counting on anything happening just yet.

Train Driver
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Train Driver »

My own personal view from afar is that if Mugabe stays in power then Zimbabwe and it's long suffering people are heading for a period that will make the last 10 years look like heaven.

I have always been a staunch advocate of allowing Zim to play as much cricket as possible, if nothing else it is something for the average Zimbabwean to hold on to and give him some pleasure win, lose or draw, but for the first time ever my view is that if Mugabe stays then Zimbabwe should have their ICC full member status withdrawn immediately and, obviously, the funding that goes with it, also it may well be that the last 2 Standard Bank Pro20 games are the last cricket played by Zimbabwe for some years.

If Mr Tsvangirai becomes President then I think that a major overhaul of ZC will take place exactly as it will in Government and everyday life, I have no doubt that Chingoka and Bvute will then be looking for alternative employment.

Cricket will be transformed under a Tsvangirai presidency as the other full members, all of them, will be lining up to offer ZC coaching, advice and games.

I know which outcome I am hoping for.

zulu

Post by zulu »

i reckon that if the MDC takes over itll be a hell of a boost to ZC because teams like england and australia will tour the country and allow zimbabwe to tour their country without politics getting in the way. There are possibilities of the odd former player returning to zim bit optimistic but you never know? I think if MDC take over it can only be a good thing for ZC and im sure every1 agrees