A bowler as a Captain - Good or Bad?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
bayhaus
Supports: Mountaineers

A bowler as a Captain - Good or Bad?

Post by bayhaus »

I dont think its a good idea for a bowler to be captain. Here are my reasons
1 While HE is bowling cant have a holistic view of the game (Concentrating on line and length etc)
2 If he bowls a bad over next over he will be thinking about how to sort out his next over or whether to keep himself on or not
3 Has enough on his plate to worry about especially if he is in the team just for bowling.
POVOAfrika = Arts + Culture + Sustainability
Follow on Twitter
My Blog

bigdoggpitbull

Re: A bowler as a Captain - Good or Bad?

Post by bigdoggpitbull »

definitely not a gud idea..lol

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

I just keep thinking back to Sean Pollock in 2003 when he took over as the captain. It almost ruined him as a bowler both mentally and physically. I just hope this isn't the case with Chiggs, as he posesses huge amounts of talent

bayhaus

Post by bayhaus »

I think at International level with the responsibility that a strike bowler has putting the captaincy on him is a huge ask. and more of a burden because you are going to have to take the heat for off feild lockeroom antics as well, the media. I hope it doesnt happen to Chigs. Although Elton is the type oif person I would like to captain Zim passionate talented and daring which I hope translates to his captaincy, but the fact that he is a bowler as well for me is a negative. I think a captain should be a batsmen.
Follow on Twitter
My Blog

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

Ya that's a good analysis. I reckon Tatenda Taibu should have been given back the captaincy for the time being. Though I must say, Chigumbura has a superb record already :lol: ;)

Mike

Post by Mike »

I've never liked having bowlers as captains. I agree with what sloandog has said

But remember when Freddie was captain? He bowled about 51 overs in one innings against Sri Lanka once :o . That can't be good. Sometimes though, when a bowler is captain he can sometimes be reluctant to put himself on :/

And we can't afford to one of our best players to loose form because he is now captain. I've posted on here his bowling stats since his taken over from Utesya and I just hope its not a coincidence

bayhaus

Post by bayhaus »

Harbajahan - Interview on cricinfo

http://www.cricinfo.com/magazine/conten ... 65766.html
A lot of people say that captaincy is not for bowlers...
No, I don't believe in all this. If you see Sir Kapil Dev, he won the World Cup. He was an allrounder, but first he was a bowler, and Anil Kumble was another great cricketer and captain. And look at Imran Khan and Wasim Akram. And Daniel Vettori is doing a great job. And Shane Warne, of course - look at the kinds of fields he sets. So you know, it's nothing to do with being a bowler. It's just that some people think that this is meant for batsmen. That's just not true.
Follow on Twitter
My Blog