Panyangara heads back

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Panyangara heads back

Post by zimfan1 »

Panyangara heads back.

By Tinashe Kusema.

FORGOTTEN all-rounder Tinashe Panyangara appears to be on his way back home. Stanbic Twenty20 champions Mountaineers have been earmarked as his destination with reliable sources within saying Panyangara is at the centre of the franchise’s restructuring exercise.

The restructuring exercise might also see the axe falling on some key players to make room for a whole new brood of youngsters making their mark in the team.
Although the exercise is still in its infancy national wicketkeeper-batsman Tatenda Taibu, Stuart Matsikenyeri and Njabulo Ncube have already been shown the door, with the latter rumoured to be on his way to Bulawayo-based franchise Tuskers.
“As attention goes to the return of the country to Test cricket we have decided to shift focus to development, which forms the backbone of most prevalent franchise structures around the world.
“We have been going around the country’s schools in an extensive hunt for the most promising talent which we intend to groom into the national team,” said the source.
“This drive, however, will not deter our immediate goal to win trophies as we currently have enough arsenal in our camp to achieve success but what we intend to accomplish is to establish a sense of continuity and have the Mountaineers brand associated with success for generations to come,” he said.
With a new franchise season just over a month away, Mountaineers have been busy on the transfer market and are after Panyangara, Under-19 bowling sensation Steve Chimamiwa and Greg Smith.
However, it is the acquisition of Panyangara, who has also been targeted by several other clubs, that is attracting the most attention at Mountaineers.
The 24-year-old speed merchant is set to join the legion of former Zimbabwe internationals such Dion Ebrahim, Andy Blignaut and Sean Ervine, who have decided to come back home and help in the resuscitation of the game.
“I can indeed confirm that we are currently in talks with Panyangara and are only left with a few outstanding issues which centre around his contract,” said Mountaineers boss Phillip Senzani.
Panyangara is a product of the well-respected Takashinga Cricket Club, the first black cricket centre in the history of Zimbabwe.
The Marondera-born lanky all-rounder, however, first burst on the world stage with a remarkable bowling performance of 6 for 31 that sent the Australians tumbling to a shock defeat at the hands of Zimbabwe during the Under-19 World Cup in Bangladesh in 2003-04.
He went on to be Zimbabwe’s leading wicket-taker with 11 wickets and so began his rise to stardom as he was immediately thrust into the national team set-up after the sacking of the 15 rebel players.
He would go on to raise the country‘s flag on the international stage with the senior national team, starring in three Tests and 23 One-Day Internationals in which he took a total of 34 wickets combined.
However, Panyangara’s career took a dive in early 2005 after he developed a stress fracture in the back, causing him to miss a year of cricket.
This led to a fallout between him and Zimbabwe Cricket over his rehabilitation after which Panyangara severed ties with the country.
Panyangara is currently playing cricket in England during the summer months at Barkisland Cricket Club.
http://www.sundaymail.co.zw/inside.aspx ... 8175&cat=5

Zimfanatic69
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: Panyangara heads back

Post by Zimfanatic69 »

I am delighted by this news.
A talented batsman but a modest, hardworking character, Stuart Matsikenyeri is the third of three school friends from Churchill Boys High School, Harare to represent Zimbabwe in international cricket. - Cricinfo.

kartik

Post by kartik »

zimfan1 wrote:

Although the exercise is still in its infancy national wicketkeeper-batsman Tatenda Taibu, Stuart Matsikenyeri and Njabulo Ncube have already been shown the door, with the latter rumoured to be on his way to Bulawayo-based franchise Tuskers.
http://www.sundaymail.co.zw/inside.aspx ... 8175&cat=5
Tatenda Taibu shown the door????I think there is a mistake out here.Cant wait for the season to start.
It is important to stand up for what is right.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Superb news. This only strengthens or stock for fast bowling

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

he wont make the team...
i think the ZCForumers rate this guy too highly.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:he wont make the team...
I think he will. He's shown that he's a genuine wicket taker and new ball threat, something we're currently lacking. Why wouldn't he play ??

bayhaus
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by bayhaus »

Best News I have heard so far! I hope he doesnt dissapoint.
I base my enthusiasm based on what the dude prved he could do when he first came on the scene and hoping that he has improved.
we have decided to shift focus to development
OKAY "develop" by showing the door to Taibu probably the MOST experienced player. Politics I guess. Anyway the Eagles should take Tibba.
POVOAfrika = Arts + Culture + Sustainability
Follow on Twitter
My Blog

Robin

Post by Robin »

Excellent news about Panyangara

He certainly had the talent. However, 5 years out of the game must have effected his development. Let's hope Ervine, Ireland and Ballance follow.

Flabberghasted about Taibu & Matsikenyeri - it makes no sense. They both performed well for the Mountaineers last year. Have they been offered more money elsewhere?

It will be interesting to see if Chimhamhiwa gets a chance. I have not seen him play but I presume from his figures that he's quick (Expensive, but high strike rate)

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

I really do Hope that Gary Ballance comes back. He's such an exciting cricketer it's incredible

aydee

Post by aydee »

sloandog wrote:
ZIMDOGGY wrote:he wont make the team...
I think he will. He's shown that he's a genuine wicket taker and new ball threat, something we're currently lacking. Why wouldn't he play ??
Stress fracture of the back is horrible injury for a fast bowler, ruins careers, just look at Mluleki Nkala, only 29, and can hardly bowl anymore, and he was a pace prospect.