Tri Nation T20 Series 2019 : Bangladesh, Zimbabwe & Afghanistan

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
The Robot
Supports: Mountaineers

Tri Nation T20 Series 2019 : Bangladesh, Zimbabwe & Afghanistan

Post by The Robot »

AFGHANISTAN T20 SQUAD :

Rashid Khan (C), Asghar Afghan, Mohammad Nabi, Hazratullah Zazai, Najeeb Tarakai, Mujeeb-ur-Rahman, Sharafuddin Ashraf, Najib Zadran, Shahidullah Kamal, Karim Janat, Gulbadin Naib, Fareed Ahmad, Shafiqullah Shafaq, Fazal Niazai, Dawlat Zadran, Naveen-ul-Haq, Rahmanullah Gurbaz
Robo to rule :oops:

encore

Re: Tri Nation T20 Series 2019 : Bangladesh, Zimbabwe & Afghanistan

Post by encore »

Politics, favouritism and nepotism in administration will hurt Afghanistan cricket badly.

Their situation is made worse by wealthy players (IPL, BPL etc) who have power financially and body of work. I don't think there was ever a country in the history of cricket which had those challenges at the start of it's Full Member status (maybe re-admission South Africa eg Kepler).

Afghanistan have got serious issues. Golden Age that will go to waste.

Interestingly, in this T20 age I doubt they will unearth many batsmen with the right intelligence and temperament.

In South Africa I've been exposed to Hindu Indians, Pakistanis and Bangladeshis - recent immigrants. So I more or less have an idea about their culture or what makes them tick. But I have no idea about the culture and make up or general personalities of Afghans. Judging from a distance, and without being direct or overly stereotypical, something tells me they will never have competent batsmen.

Noor Ali Zadran going toe to toe with Taibu in a mere FC match in the I-Cup exactly a decade ago is probably the first and the last time any of their products will have stood up to a decent opposite batsman.

I think India set the tone for where exactly they stand. And Ireland (despite their near-shock against England), should probably be more embarassed about how they fared against Afghanistan than they are.

It's such things which makes one believe Zimbabwe - because of the Logan Cup - will always be there and thereabouts in Test cricket.
Voice of reason.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

encore wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:20 pm
Politics, favouritism and nepotism in administration will hurt Afghanistan cricket badly.

Their situation is made worse by wealthy players (IPL, BPL etc) who have power financially and body of work. I don't think there was ever a country in the history of cricket which had those challenges at the start of it's Full Member status (maybe re-admission South Africa eg Kepler).

Interestingly, in this T20 age I doubt they will unearth many batsmen with the right intelligence and temperament.

In South Africa I've been exposed to Hindu Indians, Pakistanis and Bangladeshis - recent immigrants. So I more or less have an idea about their culture or what makes them tick. But I have no idea about the culture and make up or general personalities of Afghans. Judging from a distance, and without being direct or overly stereotypical, something tells me they will never have competent batsmen.
I’ve dealt with a few. Not too many but a few.
I think the best way to describe them is a cross between Pakistani and Arab style.

If I had to generalise further. They are similar to Iranians.
Obedience and uniformity of Pakistanis mixed with some cockswinging Arab coiffed slick back hair bluster
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

encore wrote:

It's such things which makes one believe Zimbabwe - because of the Logan Cup - will always be there and thereabouts in Test cricket.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

word is that ZIM will be invited to tour BD again in March so BD can give Mashrafe a farewell match.

Incidentally against the same team his career started with back in 2001.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Is a T20 tour really worth it considering we don't really have anything to play for.

Train Driver
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Train Driver »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:15 am
Is a T20 tour really worth it considering we don't really have anything to play for.
I personally think 20 over pyjama games are absolute crap and have nothing to do with cricket, but we have to accept that people now can't concentrate for more than 10 minutes without getting social media withdrawl symptoms, if Zim cricket is to survive in any way whatsoever then tours like this have to be treated like gold dust, with this 20 over shite the game survives, without it there's just a void, take your pick

Mueddie28

Post by Mueddie28 »

By playing anything ... Zimbabwe remain relative
Hope new blood is introduced

Black Mamba
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Black Mamba »

It seems players like Madhevere, Shumba, Myers, Schdendorff will play under 19 cricket for whole life. This bunch from 2016 should have now become part of A Squad and national side.

encore

Post by encore »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:15 am
encore wrote:

I’ve dealt with a few. Not too many but a few.
I think the best way to describe them is a cross between Pakistani and Arab style.

If I had to generalise further. They are similar to Iranians.
Obedience and uniformity of Pakistanis mixed with some cockswinging Arab coiffed slick back hair bluster
Ah makes sense!
Voice of reason.