Tri Series Squad Announced

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Tri Series Squad Announced

Post by sloandog »

encore wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:00 pm
The woeful PJ Moor rightfully dropped. Not even Malcolm Waller was that bad.
Lets have a look at some stats, it's what you're good at. Provide them.

Moor has had a very encouraging and much improved year with the bat, especially in ODI cricket. His stats have gotten better and his test stats are fantastic from a Zimbabwean point of view. To say he's worse than Waller is stupid.

If you take is last few ODI performances into consideration, which have been poor, then you can do the same with every other player, because the whole side performed badly. Chigumbura, Regis and Ritchie are proven failures and have never shown any glimpse of progressin; Moor has.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Although I want to see the back of him as much as anyone, on what planet is Regis Chigumbura a better batsman in T20 than Elton Chigumbura? Don’t think I’ve ever seen him hit a 6.

On that note, PJ Moor should be there for the same reason. Even the Greek!
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

There’s no reason with any validity for Regis & Richmond to be in a t20 squad, I’m ok with the rest of the squad even though I feel there should have been more of an emphasis on youth, but Regis & Richmond shows there’s still more to the selection process than just cricket.

Moor had a poor tour of Europe so I’m ok he got dropped, he’s never really been a regular contributor in t20’s anyway. I’m also ok Tari wasn’t picked, what has he done to deserve a spot? His last 2 t20 innings were ducks.

Glad Donald isn’t there either, love his commitment but he’s past his best with the ball. I’m not really a fan of Ndolvu either, for me he’s in the same bucket with Wellington- just not good enough. Chisoro should be the No.1 spinner and Mavuta & Magariri are the future.

The two other youngsters who need to be in the squad are Murray & Mashinge, I’d be happy to give both a decent run in the side to help their progression.

Also I don’t have a problem with Mutombodzi or Maruma I like them both, but they’re 29 & 31 and haven’t looked like being international cricketers at this stage in their careers, so when Rajpot says he’s looking to the future why is he selecting these
guys?? It’s ok to select older guys but in an ageing team who are suppose to be building for 2023 WC it doesn’t make sense.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Free Spirit

Post by Free Spirit »

encore wrote:

Excellent squad. Great to see Regis, Maruma and Madziva back. Chisoro, Wellington and Jongwe.

Raza out due to discipline.

I'm pretty confident Zimbabwe can win all their matches.
PJ Moor being the incumbent VC doesn't deserve any less than Regis or Mutumbani. He has earned the benefit of doubt/poor form. If the idea is looking forward to 2023 WC we are going backwards.

Really unfortunate and petty from Masakadza(allegedly) who dropped him for airing out his personal feelings(probably of most of the players) about the board. He isn't doing Zimbabwe any favours considering he is retiring

I'll keep repeating this sentiment. WHAT IS THE PLAN? Do we clear most of the old and build a young team towards WC qualifiers (at this point the likely route to WC 2023) or we just dwindle with Mpofu et al to oblivion?

encore
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by encore »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:22 pm
Although I want to see the back of him as much as anyone, on what planet is Regis Chakabva a better batsman in T20 than Elton Chigumbura? Don’t think I’ve ever seen him hit a 6.
Elton Chigumbura is injured. He got injured during a warm up against Ireland A - https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/190 ... nd-nl-2019

Whether anyone likes it or not, Elton Chigumbura remains a top 7 bat for Zimbabwe in ODIs and T20s, and showed it against tough SA and PAK bowlers last year. He has always been the most feared LOI batsman in Zimbabwe, even when Hami and BT were contributing the runs, and Raza chipping in later.

Hence I said, don't be surprised when he comes back and is selected as captain of Zimbabwe's strongest XI.

Taylor(wk), Burl, Craig, Raza, Williams, Elton(c), Mashinge, Mavuta, Ngarava, Chatara, Mpofu

Whether you like it or not, none of Moor, Regis, Burl, Musakanda, Mutombodzi, Maruma, Kamunhukamwe, Mutumbami etc can get into the XI on their batting in ODIs & T20s ahead of Chigumbura (same with none of Madziva, Mashinge, Tiripano and Masvaure will get in ahead of Jongwe if he's available). None can finish games like Chigumbura. Even at that age. All the talk of poor form and lack of reflexes is unfounded. If Murray is available the person who will worry is Burl, not Elton, because many batsmen are flopping in T20s, and Burl like Moor has a horrible allround record so far, pathetic compared to even Elton the bowler at that age. Likewise if Burl fails as an opener, the rest of the XI push up the order, and the competition gets stifer for that numebr 6 spot.

In 2018, Mire was by far and away Zimbabwe's best T20 batsman, with no one else even coming close. In ODIs, Taylor, Williams and Raza were all equally good. In 2019, Craig was by far and away Zimbabwe's best batsman, with no one else even coming close. In ODs Williams' form continued, but he was joined by Craig as the main man.

Even with Mire and Craig hogging the limelight in T20s, with a name like Chigumbura next to theirs in the XI, it's obvious which wicket the opposition's coach and captain wants more. He can seriously hurt you. https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/190 ... nd-nl-2019

In that game, even Taylor stepped back and gave the first ball of the Super Over to Elton Chigumbura. The Zimbabwe players have respect for Chigumbura's hitting. If it was up to you guys, you would have probably named likes of Raza, Williams, Hami and even Burl and Moor ahead of Elton. Elton is Zimbabwe's most dangerous batsman period! Clearly then captain Hami, and coach Lachland Rajput agreed. That says a lot.
Voice of reason.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Must be a serious injury for Elton if he’s still out from that match, might struggle to return at his age
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

I'd rather have a wooden plank in the side than Chigumbura. The man is past his best and is only taking a spot from a youngster. Literally no opposition is thinking of him as a prized wicket.

It also says a lot about Rajput that if he thinks that. It says that he has no idea what he is doing, and quite frankly, the results back it up.

encore
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by encore »

sloandog wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:23 pm
encore wrote:
Lets have a look at some stats, it's what you're good at. Provide them.
I left you stats which you ridiculed in my presence but conceded to in my absence. Why should I bother? Just look at Moor's profile. He is horrible in LOIs, and against what quality of opposition. Laughable!
zimbos_05 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:06 am
I'd rather have a wooden plank in the side than Chigumbura. The man is past his best and is only taking a spot from a youngster. Literally no opposition is thinking of him as a prized wicket.

It also says a lot about Rajput that if he thinks that. It says that he has no idea what he is doing, and quite frankly, the results back it up.
Facts are staring you in the face. Zimbabwe had a match to win during a horrible tour. They all chose the player who was raw and had less match fitness than the others to win them a match. And guess what - they won that match. Nothing stopped Raza, Craig or Williams from stepping up bu they didn't because they've never seen ZIM over the line when it counts - something Elton regularly did in his sleep. Feel free to reject that it was high pressure situation with a lot at stake for Zimbabwe considering how poor they had been when 'full strength'.

Craig, Raza, Williams and the overpaid Taylor and Jarvis were consistently picked and routinely dominated by "Associates" and the forum continues to pretend as if that didn't happen. The very same set of players who flopped CWC qualification. Such would never have happened to Matsi, Vusi and Panyangara against such opposition. The two darkest periods in Zimbabwe cricket's history were not becasue of the players you consistently malign.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/803 ... up-2002-03
https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/803 ... er-2017-18

Zimbabwe would not have lost to UAE if Elton was finishing for them. Even Chakabva pummeled the same UAE in ZIM early this year.

Elton would have single-handedly crushed UAE. He was made for those kinds of moments. This is what Elton does to the likes of UAE:
https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/860 ... 20-2013-14
Voice of reason.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

encore wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:37 am
they've never seen ZIM over the line when it counts
They have never....

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/113 ... frica-2015

ever...

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/111 ... v-zim-2017

in their whole career...

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/111 ... v-zim-2017

like literally ever...

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/862 ... es-2016-17

not even once...

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/112 ... we-2015-16

done anything...

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/112 ... we-2015-16

good on the field. What utter crap and pathetic excuses for cricketers they are. Sack the lot of them.

I mean, they even have worse T20 stats...

Elton: Played 54 at an average of 19 and S/R of 142
Sean: Played 30 at an average of 24 and S/R of 130
Craig: Played 20 at an average of 25 and S/R of 102

Who the heck do these guys think they are.

Chigumbura was once good, everyone has a sell by date in their career. His has come and gone. The only one who is questionable in T20 is Raza, but his stats blow Elton out the park in every other format.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Crazy how 3 runs against the UAE almost killed cricket. The stakes were never that high before.

Personally Elton PJ Mavuta Jarvis Williams Mire Hami Waller Zhuwao Madziva Raza Tari Mpofu BT and Chatara would have been my t20 sqaud in October if all that nonsense hadnt happened. I dont think anybody hits the ball cleaner than these guys. Completely different format. A 6 ball 20 is priceless. T20 needs a completely different set of skills