2019/20 Domestic Cricket Season - Logan Cup, Pro50, Twenty20

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: 2019/20 Domestic Cricket Season - Logan Cup, Pro50, Twenty20

Post by Googly »

Comparing Duckett to Willie and LJ highlights a lot of the problems we face with wrong perceptions. I like the way WM plays his cricket and I do think LJ is (was? Haven’t seen him for a while) very talented, but there’s just no comparison. I shudder to think how many high quality games Duckett must have played, how much quality coaching he’s had and how many good youngsters he was better than along the way to get himself into the position he’s in. There will literally be several hundred guys of the same caliber as WM and LJ. Duckett is in the upper echelons of quality English batters.
I’m not saying our two don’t have the capacity to be really good but they’ve missed out on about 500 games and 7 years of quality coaching, you just ain’t catching that up.

Our decks here are far from flat, they can be very spicy, that’s an incorrect statement.

100% a side in some division or other in SA that we can label our A side would be a real win. It’s absolutely our cheapest option, but it’s still not free and ZC don’t have the organizational ability to keep a side there the whole season. If we let that league down once with a no show we’d not get another chance.
Keeping decent kids here is the big one. A disproportionate number of the good players come from the better schools and they try and get to a university.
Having said that ZC have to play the hand they’re dealt and must incorporate the good youngsters that are prepared to stay, or have no options.
I thought the AC Academy was our “official” one and GB has done a fantastic job.

Googly

Post by Googly »

As stated we have to keep the franchise thing going to tick the boxes, but send the better guys to SA if they will even have us, it’s absolutely our best option.
If they bury the hatchet with Taibu they could send kids to U.K. on a “gap year” playing cricket. If anyone really good materialized he may consider cricket instead of Uni.
I’d like to see a few ZC scholarships, not only to local schools but maybe a prize one to a top English school with a water tight contract so he doesn’t run.

encore
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by encore »

sloandog wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:26 pm
Hhm, Ben Ducket has more talent in his left finger nail than all those names combined! If you’ve never seen him bat live, which you haven’t clearly, don’t make assumptions or camparisons which simply don’t warrant discussion. He’s an unreal batter and would out bat all the guys you mentioned, in ODI cricket or Test Cricket.
sloandog wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:29 pm
And by the way, while we’re talking of Kazuza, have you ever seen him bat..?
I've seen both of them in the flesh and on TV, at various stages in their careers(never watched Kasuza play red ball cricket live though).

My high regard for Kasuza has never been hidden. It's criminal that he still hasn't played an international for Zimbabwe. In fact, I believe he is the best batsman of those 5 names I listed(he would have had brilliant numbers if he started out and played more in the middle order in the Logan Cup and other formats).

So Ben Duckett IS comparable to those batsmen in my view*. I don't believe he would upstage them in the Logan Cup or within the Zimbabwe Test batting order.

Having said that, none of those batsmen, Duckett included would make the top 84 batsmen list of active South African batsmen.

NB: Not directly related to your posts Sloan, but sometimes I laugh to myself at the number of people on this forum who infer I'm dumb, or either think they are smarter than me in general, or have more experience in and around the game of cricket than I do. Anyho...
Voice of reason.

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

If you've seen them both bat then fair enough, at least you've come to your own conclusion based on an eye witness account. I too have seen both bat in the flesh, in white and red ball cricket, and in my opinion Kazuza is totally inferior to Duckett and would struggle against top quality opposition.

People on this forum don't think you're stupid, either. What frustrates the forum is your continued bias and twisting of facts and figures to suit your agenda. You've added some spice to forum at least and that's always a good thing

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Can you really sit & claim a player who can’t even crack the Zimbabwe side, not even once in any format is better than a guy who’s actually played for England & picked up numerous T20 contracts around the world, and still claim not be stupid ??

You’re either stupid or biased or maybe a bit of both 😂😂😂
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Googly wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:13 pm
As stated we have to keep the franchise thing going to tick the boxes, but send the better guys to SA if they will even have us, it’s absolutely our best option.
If they bury the hatchet with Taibu they could send kids to U.K. on a “gap year” playing cricket. If anyone really good materialized he may consider cricket instead of Uni.
I’d like to see a few ZC scholarships, not only to local schools but maybe a prize one to a top English school with a water tight contract so he doesn’t run.
This doesnt work. They just get lost to the UK.

What eventuates is these kids end up on audition for UK and county clubs.

Last time, 2 months in we lost Blessing to them.
Lots of factors went into that, but at the end of the day we just set him up o establish roots there, which he did, and alot of negotiation occured.
So imagine if someone excels?

England are notorious for taking talent away from Africa, conditions are created that make it easy for clubs and players to go shopping on each other.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

encore wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:55 pm
NB: Not directly related to your posts Sloan, but sometimes I laugh to myself at the number of people on this forum who infer I'm dumb, or either think they are smarter than me in general, or have more experience in and around the game of cricket than I do. Anyho...
It's more when you make racist statement or, like sloan says, twist facts and push agendas. The other thing is that you can't claim to have more experience in cricket than others on this forum because you do not know everyones story.

Also, as someone who likes stats,

Kasuza averages
First-class 30.10
ListA 25.34
T20s 18.92

Duckett averages
First-class 39.00
List A . 38.37
T20s 28.09

I've not watched much of Kasuza but with someone who is two years younger producing much better stats, hard to push your case. Also, Duckett faces a much higher quality of bowling in England.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Plus Duckett is only 85th in SA :lol:
Do an online Rorschach Test and get onto that lithium

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

I was watching the CPL today and it just stuck at me how inept ZC is. If they actually had a proper plan, we would actually have a very strong domestic structure.

If someone wants to refute me, by all means. I am not on the ground to see all this, so it's purely based off of observation and info passed on to me.

There are no Zim companies sponsoring or invested in ZC, not at least to a strong level. There isn't any merchandise or replica gear. There is no real coverage of it, the ZC social media for example only tweets when they feel like it. We don't really have a proper built player database. There are decent players in some of the lower countries who are pretty good and would offer quite a bit of quality. ZC management and running of the game is just a pure shit show basically, and their egotistical need to fight against change or accept support to run the game is only damaging the livelihoods of Zimbabweans.

The CPL is not a fancy league by any means. No major names except for some of the NZ guys, other than that, it has players from USA, Canada and the like, some retired Pakistani players and I noticed Imran Tahir, but nothing that sparks big. All of the fans always have fan gear and supporter wear. There are actual sponsors and a lot of the sponsors are local companies and organisations. One of the teams is even owned by Sharukh Khans Knight Riders entity...The West Indies does not have the overwhelming population and the WICB is known for some of it's dodgy past, yet it still has managed to produce something of note.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Well if we cant disband our FC system then we need to have a full time academy side there in partnership with a University.

Academies are not about results anyway. They will get slaughtered but if at least 2 kid rise above the rest every year out of 15 we will eventually have a decent team in just 5 years. Think about. Im not talking about current domestic players. They might be lost causes already. I think you send a myers there and he will come out a better player than him playing useless games in zim.

I think Murray and Matigimu are currently in the SA university leagues. Lake played in the UK university system for a while too. I wish I had their stats