Were Brendan Taylor and Kyle Jarvis worth it?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Were Brendan Taylor and Kyle Jarvis worth it?

Post by jaybro »

As I said I’m going off comments made by former players which forgive me but I’ll take their word for it, my point is backed up by the lack of quality options England have batting wise.

England have tried all sorts of different players in their batting order and most of them have failed, so forgive me if I doubt there are plenty of good batsman waiting in the wings.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

robbocricket wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:28 am
jaybro wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:13 am
You would thought BT & Jarvis could have gotten Division 2 County deals if they really were about to be punted from Notts & Lancs, the quality of Div 2 is much lower & those guys would definitely still be good enough to play there. Both guys have Zim partners in BT's case a family who are based in Zimbabwe, so I think that had more to do with them coming back.
As I member of Lancashire for over 35 years (and having seen a few hundred first-class county championship matches from the 1970s to date) I can assure you that there is absolutely no way Jarvis would get into the current Lancashire team. He is simply not good enough. I saw him make his debut at Alderley Edge for Lancs 2nd v Scotland in a three-day game. From memory he was signed to take over from Glen Chappell. He had two very good seasons but in conditions which helped bowlers of his type not least when we play in April/May and September. He also picked up wickets because of the quality of bowler at the other end. In his final season he got an injury about half-way through and wondered if he would play for Lancs again.

Most members (including me) were surprised when he said he was off back to Zim well before the season had ended but when we saw what (allegedly) he was being paid you could see why a few games for Zim made more sense than playing six months of county cricket

I don't think many people overseas realise just how good the standard of our 4-day cricket is. The 2nd Division as you say is not as good as the 1st division (mainly due to the depth in bowlers) but this season the 2nd Division standard has definitely improved on the last couple of seasons. Look at the Middlesex team and you wonder how they have failed to get promotion with the players in their side. In the 50 over and T20 games you can't tell any difference bewteen the two divisions

As for Taylor all I can say is that having seen him in his final season at Notts and more recently on the videos in recent Zim 50 over and T20 internationals he might get a contract as a Professional in our league cricket - but if any county was to offer him a contract I would be absolutely astonished

Sadly his batting is no longer what it was - he may look a world beater on occasions in recent games for Zim but lets be honest the standard of bowling he has been facing recently is miles away from the top Test teams and hardly county level. As for his wicketkeeping (i.e. his technique) it's an embarrassment to watch to be honest but it's not his fault that he is being asked to keep wicket
Like you, I too am from Lancashire and have followed the lads for some time now. I watched Jarv bowl in a number of games at OT in sometimes unhelpful bowling conditions, and he was excellent. I remember he had KP in knots on one occasion. He topped the wickets with 67 scalps I think in 2015, and did excellent in the following summer. He was superb while he was here.

What I will agree with is that the Lancashire side now has much greater depth in the bowling department than in 2014, 15 and 16 respectively. Gleeson, Tom Baily, Graham Onions, Toby Lester, Saqib Mahmood, Matthew Parkinson and the pacey Liam Hurt have seriously provided the squad with some fantastic depth. Jarv would probably struggle to keep his place if he had a couple of bad games, that's how competitive this squad has become. There's lad playing county 2's who should really be getting a look in over Steven Croft, for example.

BT was brilliant at Notts and I think he's still got what it takes to be successful should a county ever come knocking. For how long, I'm not too sure, but he's absolutely not this fat 'has been' you're painting him out to be. He's still Zimbabwe's best player and probably our greatest ever ODI batter.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Ballance is worth another shot, he’s had a raw deal.
Watch Pope, although he’s not an opener.
Jeez I watched Burns carefully, he’s a helluva opener.
Denley was ok, deserved that hundred big time. Has a little glitch outside off but he’s almost fixed it already, to come in as a makeshift and play like that!
English conditions were tricky this season, only a few weeks of good decks to open on.
And in white ball look no further than Tom Banton, he’s going to be a superstar.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Ollie Pop, Tom Banton, Will Jacks, Aneurin Donald, Jamie Smith, Dom Sibley, Zack Crawley and Ben Duckett are the future batting stars. These boys can seriously play.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

I watched Pope score a double ton this summer and he pissed it. Stupid talent which England need to now tap into. Blood him. I know he's already played a couple of tests last summer, but talent like that doesn't come around every day.
As googly rightfully says, Tom Banton in LOI's, Ollie Pope in Test matches; two absolute rockets in the making

Googly

Post by Googly »

Nick Welch got a good hundred against Lancs the other day, against a damned good attack as well. I watched a couple of his highlights on NVplay. Flayed Hurt, who’s damned quick.

Googly

Post by Googly »

sloandog wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:30 am
Ollie Pop, Tom Banton, Will Jacks, Aneurin Donald, Jamie Smith, Dom Sibley, Zack Crawley and Ben Duckett are the future batting stars. These boys can seriously play.
Ya agree, everyone is talking about Crowley. I’m not sold on Duckett yet.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Nor Smith. Hasn’t done anything this season. All the talent in the world but I think he lacks bottle.

Googly

Post by Googly »

But he is only 18 or 19 :lol: :lol:
Unbelievable skills.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Here are the leading scorers & wicket takers from this seasons Div 2, forgive me but I can’t see many well established international players there, I’m sure BT & KJ are still good enough to at least feature at this level?? Surely I’m not being too outrageous with this comment??

Jimmy Anderson taking his pegs at under 10 😂😂😂

I know the bloke is a legend but under 10 c’mon 😂😂😂

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine ... tournament

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine ... tournament
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement