Were Brendan Taylor and Kyle Jarvis worth it?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: Were Brendan Taylor and Kyle Jarvis worth it?

Post by Googly »

jaybro wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:38 am
Here are the leading scorers & wicket takers from this seasons Div 2, forgive me but I can’t see many well established international players there, I’m sure BT & KJ are still good enough to at least feature at this level?? Surely I’m not being too outrageous with this comment??

Jimmy Anderson taking his pegs at under 10 😂😂😂

I know the bloke is a legend but under 10 c’mon 😂😂😂

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine ... tournament

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine ... tournament
Fair enough. :lol:

Googly

Post by Googly »

What I have seen is that some of these academy lads in these lesser counties are quite ordinary, what they see in some of them makes me shake my head.

Higgins has done damned well. I’ve misjudged him. I’ve watched him and wasn’t overly impressed, but I guess it’s not how you look, dirty runs count the same.

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

I remember Dominic Cork's son getting some games for Derbyshire in the T20 blast in 2016 and I almost died of cringing. 70mph left arm lollops and couldn't bat for shit.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Yup that old school tie and old boys network is alive and well in England. I’m wondering what happened to the ex England coach’s son? He was a millfield player and a damned good keeper batsman. Played u19’s I think.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Tom Moores, Peter Moores’ son.
Walked straight into a contract I see. :lol:

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Googly wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:18 am
Tom Moores, Peter Moores’ son.
Walked straight into a contract I see. :lol:
He's good enough, in fairness. He was at Lancashire for a while and he was an exceptional wicket keeper and a solid batter. Nottingham did well to sign him... 8-) :lol:

Googly

Post by Googly »

No disputing that. Very good player, just saying he could have done a couple of seasons in Twos before they handed it to him on a plate.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

jaybro wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:34 am
Even if that’s true it’s better spent in their hands rather than Makoni who’s on over 20K a month, which is proven.

How’d do you even know this TapsC? Word of mouth or you’ve seen something similar to what I put in the other thread ?
I was the first person to bring this up.I heard this from 2 different sources who are reliable. I had heard 35k initially. I was initially concerned that other senior players like Raza Ervine and Williams would not be too happy. They got big salaries and long contracts.

Dont forget ZC usually only hands out 1 year contracts. Getting whats going to add up to 1 million USD for 4 years to play 10 games a year when you are in your 30s is a good start to retirement. To be honest where I can say Mukuhlani is better is that he payed that upfront money. Remember Sean Ervine asking for an upfront payment to come back and they didn't pay? Its good money.

The money for national players is good. There is no real competition for places too. How many times have we all thought the likes of Williams and Raza would walk away? Did you see how stressed Raza was when they didnt give him a contract initially? If there were better paying options for the level of skill they have they would have left a long time ago.

Dont be surprised to see a Byrom coming back too. Money talks in the end. The journey to the english national team is very long. The ODI league is the best thing to happen to us. Guaranteed games against decent opposition might tempt a few guys. Mire will come back too. Just watch if we make it to the 2021 t20 world cup. The ICC also gives huge payouts to world cup qualifying teams. Remember that 450k for the 2015 WC that was split among 5 senior players apparently?

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

I think the best thing ZC can do is spend big on these county system juniors to get them back. After a few years they will hopefully build a comraderie the same way our senior guys have.

It can be cost being in a small pond where you know everyone in the system.

Right now you can get them and maybe get them cheaper than if you waited a few years.
Stock market gamble. Some of them will be worthless in three years but some might be worth a mil.

It’s the only way I can see our game surviving here. We have the talent based overseas.

What’s the list of Zim qualified players now?
Higgins
Welch
Byrom
Rouse
Butchart
Blessing
Munyaye
Curran
Murray

I’m certain I’ve missed one or two that have been born in Zim. Didn’t someone here, it might have been me even, stumble upon another unknown English raised one born in Zim a few months ago ?

Those guys will put pressure on our top guys and ultimately replace them after next WC campaign.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

robbocricket

Post by robbocricket »

sloandog wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:24 am
robbocricket wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:28 am
jaybro wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:13 am
You would thought BT & Jarvis could have gotten Division 2 County deals if they really were about to be punted from Notts & Lancs, the quality of Div 2 is much lower & those guys would definitely still be good enough to play there. Both guys have Zim partners in BT's case a family who are based in Zimbabwe, so I think that had more to do with them coming back.
A
Like you, I too am from Lancashire and have followed the lads for some time now. I watched Jarv bowl in a number of games at OT in sometimes unhelpful bowling conditions, and he was excellent. I remember he had KP in knots on one occasion. He topped the wickets with 67 scalps I think in 2015, and did excellent in the following summer. He was superb while he was here.

What I will agree with is that the Lancashire side now has much greater depth in the bowling department than in 2014, 15 and 16 respectively. Gleeson, Tom Baily, Graham Onions, Toby Lester, Saqib Mahmood, Matthew Parkinson and the pacey Liam Hurt have seriously provided the squad with some fantastic depth. Jarv would probably struggle to keep his place if he had a couple of bad games, that's how competitive this squad has become. There's lad playing county 2's who should really be getting a look in over Steven Croft, for example.

BT was brilliant at Notts and I think he's still got what it takes to be successful should a county ever come knocking. For how long, I'm not too sure, but he's absolutely not this fat 'has been' you're painting him out to be. He's still Zimbabwe's best player and probably our greatest ever ODI batter.
Kindly show me where have I ever said he's a "fat 'has been''

Why are you even mentioning 'fat' - what on earth has that got to do with Taylor's performances

I can take criticism but please don't come out with statements like this when you know full well they are entirely 'your' words not mine.

His f-c record for Notts in 2017 was 123 runs in five innings average 24.60 which to my mind is pretty average

I don't doubt "He's still Zimbabwe's best player and propably our greatest ever ODI player" but that has nothing to do with discussing whether a county will ever sign him up again