Were Brendan Taylor and Kyle Jarvis worth it?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
encore
Supports: Mountaineers

Were Brendan Taylor and Kyle Jarvis worth it?

Post by encore »

Since their return, have these two players proved their worth?

Grant's take then:
Flower was more concerned about the pressure on Taylor and Jarvis, who had to be offered attractive packages to return from the country circuit in England. With a board as hard up for cash as Zimbabwe's has been over recent years, missing the 2019 World Cup would be a financial disaster.

"Hopefully the home ground advantage will count, but there's a lot of pressure, especially on the few guys that have come back for big cash," Flower said. "Zimbabwe are under pressure to win the qualifiers to get through to the World Cup, because if they don't, they lose all that money for competing in the World Cup. That's be a huge setback for Zimbabwe Cricket."
Personally, I believe they have been an absolute disaster compared to what they are paid. Easily Alex Sanchez versions of international cricket.

I know a BRM poll would return an overwhelming YES, but it would be interesting to read the genuine comments so this is probably a better format. So please state your opinion and defence of it.

Preferably no replies or comments based on another poster's comments. Just state your case.
Voice of reason.

zimbos_05

Re: Were Brendan Taylor and Kyle Jarvis worth it?

Post by zimbos_05 »

Yes. Now go back to your hole

Googly

Post by Googly »

Well they’re likely to quit when their contracts are up and then you can let us know your opinion after the implosion. This time it will be their fault instead of Rajput’s
or Streak’s :lol:
You’d rather see Makoni on 300k a year than Taylor on 100k so it’s a non starter discussing it. Watch and learn.

Googly

Post by Googly »

What I can’t wait to see are the up and coming guys that have been held back by the looming retirees, this abundance of talent everyone is talking about.
Here’s my prediction- we will never ever win another test or 50 over game against a full member side, and maybe less than 10% of T20’s against anyone we play once the “useless old guys” are gone. We’re thereabouts already, but we’re about to see what’s in the cupboard.
There will be a discussion in about three years time whether we’re good enough to play Associate cricket, mark my words.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Yes, worth every cent. Next topic?
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Worth every cent.

If we stopped playing tests completely it might be questionable, but even then I still think it’s worth it.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Surely worth it.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Yes
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

How many posts left until your new ban?

We get it. You can't stand them. You hate Zim. Understood.

Your many words have been heard.

encore
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by encore »

Jemisi wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:28 am
How many posts left until your new ban?

We get it. You can't stand them. You hate Zim. Understood.

Your many words have been heard.
I find the responses rather concerning. Taylor and Jarvis earn way more than Dean Elgar and Vernon Philander. That's enough to want to makeone puke or weep.

They returned not because they love ZC or Zimbabwe (clearly based on their several comments when they left), but purely based on the fact that the money was way too good to ignore, and County Division One comforts and stability paled in comparison.

I don't hate ZIm, and it's got nothing to do with how I feel about them.

Next month completes their 2-year anniversary so it's only practical to look back and reflect on such a momentous decision.

My question, mostly directed at Zimbabweans (not Australians, English etc who are still welcome to comment), who like me have affinity to our true loyalities(SA in my case). To you Zimbaweans, have you got value for your money?

What I find strange is that the same person who who will say let's bend over backwards to get a Byrom, Myers, Lake, Ben Curran, Shumba etc, is the same person who does not want to confront what an existing case study says.

Further to that, it was pointed out that there would be rifts in the team because of pay disparities, and it's strange to now read people criticising those players(domestic and international) for standing behind Hami and not being swayed by Taylor at every turn, yet you fail to acknowledge the various side-effects that have evolved over the last 2 years.

Do you think Mire would have left if he had the same posh contract(bearing in mind his brilliance for ZIM in T20s)? Do you think Chatara, Craig & Sean are happy?
Voice of reason.