Were Brendan Taylor and Kyle Jarvis worth it?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Were Brendan Taylor and Kyle Jarvis worth it?

Post by jaybro »

Hhm would rather ZC handout out a bunch of central contracts to some indigenous club cricketers totalling about $50 per month. Happy to have Makoni on $20K a month though, just to say thanks for Vusi’s 116 v Bermuda 🙄🙄🙄
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

encore
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by encore »

robbocricket wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:34 pm
Elgar and Philander earn reasonably well. Surrey had to pay Morkel a lot to get him to join them. Rilee and Vilas would leave their Counties for KJ & BT money. There is nothing wrong with SA contracts system. If there was QdK and Rabada would have left a long time ago.

Few if any counties pay more than what Surrey do for players salaries. It was been said on the Surrey radio commentary and elsewhere in the media that when Morkel signed he was one of Surrey's highest paid overseas players
True, still BT & KJ earn more than Elgar and Philander.

I thought Morne would be matching or just edging the kind of contract a retired Sangakkara/KP got.

Rilee is not so good to be honest. At least Vilas can keep and captain besides his decent batting.

Agreed, our contracts are decent - even though our domestic structure will likely change drastically if things go according to plan. We did give Rabada and QdK 2-year deals even though there is no danger of Rabada leaving. None of our players are paid upfront though (which is a silly way of doing things). We've got great depth in terms of seamers. There will be a few problems in batting because like most of international cricket, our to batsmen are becoming more suited to limited overs. Soon ODIs & T20s we'll becoming extremely competitive and tighter among all sides and levels, with Tests turning into one-sided matches more often than not.
Voice of reason.

encore

Post by encore »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:51 pm
encore wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:11 pm
encore wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:32 am
You're not responding with insults so that's a good start. Appreciated.

Zimbabwe players on contract already earn more than BD, IRE and AFG so I would not know how to respond to you while overlooking that major point. Part of my reason for including players from other lower nations was precisely to prove eg a Stirling/Ranking/Dockrell/Coetzer etc worth to their sides vs BT/KJ's supposed worth to Zimbabwe.

Some will argue likes of Nabi and Rashid earn more because of T20 Leagues, but where do personal earnings come in, and why should they have to subsidise the Board?

Elgar and Philander earn reasonably well. Surrey had to pay Morkel a lot to get him to join them. Rilee and Vilas would leave their Counties for KJ & BT money. There is nothing wrong with SA contracts system. If there was QdK and Rabada would have left a long time ago.

The problem is KJ & BT got a crazy amount of money. Period!

Yes I do know what they get paid. That is why I included Grant Flower's quote in the OP.

What are the salaries of Kane Williamson and Trent Boult? Get those and come back to me then we can have a proper BT-KJ discussion in relation to NRL and importance to team.
ZIMDOGGY I'm still keen on a response to the answer on those two players who are clearly important to their sides. Pretty sure the contrast will be very interesting. Or you could get closer to home and use Khawaja, Finch, Patto and Lyon instead in the general sense.

Duanne Olivier rejected a CSA contract to go and earn USD190k/GBP150k in England(not sure about Morkel). Mind you, I only used Elgar and Philander because I was being modest. I didn't even touch on Steyn, Amla and ABD salaries, and they are/were all below Faf...who was on very little to be honest.

NB: Lancs aside, lots said by some - plenty shocking and intereting - we'll go through it gradually if needs be.

For now this remains:
Were Brendan Taylor and Kyle Jarvis worth it?
How the fuck would I know what Trent Boult is on? lol
Would help to put things to perspective for you. Anyway, they are earning less than BT & KJ... which more or less covers Southee & Ross as well.
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:36 am
I would have no problem if they were both on half a million a year.

The top batsman and bowler of a test paying nation should be earning alot.

I hope its high, sends a mesage to others that theres an economic future to playing for Zim.
That's close to a quarter of a County side's annual salary cap. SO effectively you'd be happy to give half of a County side's salary cap it to BT & KJ - players who are not good enough for any County side? Fair enough.

Let me do some research on Shield cricket contracts.
Voice of reason.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

This all BS 😂😂😂

Show some actual facts otherwise shut up, I could sit here and say player X earns more than player Y like you are and nobody would any different.

Show some evidence or cease and desist
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Well, Boult net worth is at $2-2.5million, so I doubt he is on some sort of pittance.

Black Mamba
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Black Mamba »

Forum is too much against Jarvis, Taylor & Rajput. What about rest of the 9 players, they aren't playing for free ?

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Black Mamba wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:00 am
Forum is too much against Jarvis, Taylor & Rajput. What about rest of the 9 players, they aren't playing for free ?
Apart from Encore, who is against Jarvis, Taylor and Rajput?
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:51 am
Black Mamba wrote:

I'm against Rajput

encore

Post by encore »

Black Mamba wrote:
Compared to the packages those other two get, they are essentially playing for free. :lol:
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Black Mamba wrote:
This was about worth and everything within that context. I am not against Rajput and Taylor. MambaI have always been against Jarvis the white ball bowler, and with good reason. With little/no Test cricket to look forward to, there was&is absolutely zero justification in him being recalled to Zimbabwe for that kind of money, while there were comparable and superior bowlers, or those younger with greater potential. He was never going to add value to ZIM's CWC qualifiers either. Blessing and Chatara thoroughly outbowled him he had to be dropped.
Voice of reason.

Black Mamba
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Black Mamba »

encore wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:50 pm
Black Mamba wrote:
Compared to the packages those other two get, they are essentially playing for free. :lol:
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Black Mamba wrote:
This was about worth and everything within that context. I am not against Rajput and Taylor. MambaI have always been against Jarvis the white ball bowler, and with good reason. With little/no Test cricket to look forward to, there was&is absolutely zero justification in him being recalled to Zimbabwe for that kind of money, while there were comparable and superior bowlers, or those younger with greater potential. He was never going to add value to ZIM's CWC qualifiers either. Blessing and Chatara thoroughly outbowled him he had to be dropped.
Blessing is a past item now, off late if any Zimbabwe pacer had some venom then its Vitori, who has been getting banned everytime he returns. Jarvis is the best exponent still now,when it comes to swing & seam, though he is one of the poorest bowler in last overs of the game, doesnt have variation enough or a lethal yorker, all he has is the slower cutter and slower bouncer.
Chatara is struggling in T20s, his pace have gone down and have got smashed in bowling friendly Irish Condition and also in Bangladesh in ongoing T20 series.

Zimbabwe selection panel under Chawaguta has been least bothered of giving young talent a chance.Pacers like Mumba, Jakiel, Musako, Zhawi has done well in shorter formats.This series was ideal for giving them games along with allrounders like Jongwe & Mashinge