[Match Thread] Tri Series Game 5 | ZIM vs AFG

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC

Re: [Match Thread] Tri Series Game 5 | ZIM vs AFG

Post by TapsC »

Really happy that Hami went out with a bang. Where was that hunger for the last 3 years? He had his ups and downs but he has been a true servant for ZC

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Great knock for Masakadza to go out on :6:
Thanks for all of the great memories HM!

encore
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by encore »

He deserved a ton, but no matter, the job was done. Mutombodzi and Ainsley bowled very well to complement Mpofu, so even if he deserves the Player of the Match, they'll give it to Hami.

Sean has had a shocker of a series with the bat. Very very fortunate with that sitter from Mujeeb. That was a nothing shot.
Voice of reason.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Finally, congratulations, first T20 win over Afghanistan.

Good to see, so good to see Zimbabwe playing like this.

Stoneman Returns
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by Stoneman Returns »

This what required. Chakabva & Mtumbodzi should look for consistency
Success depends on Aggressive Instinct

encore

Post by encore »

sam_ahm wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:42 pm

You had lost hope on ZIM, but I did say to you that just a few pieces were missing. It's easier when you watch the match live to see what's missing. Often we go off the scorecards.

But this Series has shown that Zimbabwe still has a lot of talent that's unfairly sidelined. Most of the performers had opted for club cricket instead of the European tour, and some were just overlooked(an continue to be overlooked even though they are even better).

Mpofu has been a consistently good performer right through Europe and Asia, but now he'll be sweating since he's not part of the easy Singapore tour.

I guess in some ways, what happened was a blessing in disguise because I don't think mentally, some of the guys would have recovered if Zimbabwe had missed out on a second consecutive world cup. Enough questions and points have been raised to expect the team to change for the better.

Hami left at the right time. And did it in style.
Voice of reason.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

encore wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:18 pm
sam_ahm wrote:

You had lost hope on ZIM, but I did say to you that just a few pieces were missing. It's easier when you watch the match live to see what's missing. Often we go off the scorecards.

But this Series has shown that Zimbabwe still has a lot of talent that's unfairly sidelined. Most of the performers had opted for club cricket instead of the European tour, and some were just overlooked(an continue to be overlooked even though they are even better).

Mpofu has been a consistently good performer right through Europe and Asia, but now he'll be sweating since he's not part of the easy Singapore tour.

I guess in some ways, what happened was a blessing in disguise because I don't think mentally, some of the guys would have recovered if Zimbabwe had missed out on a second consecutive world cup. Enough questions and points have been raised to expect the team to change for the better.

Mate consistency is the key, I also think T20 is Zimbabwe's weakest format. They need some big hitters for sure, Zhuwao is well suited for T20s, Raza has got good T20 exposure by playing in various leagues, so you cannot discount him. Kamunhukamwe needs to be groomed properly if he is a big hitter. I would also like to see Moor in there. Mire was a good T20 player but sadly he has retired.

Also no matter what others say, I think Chigumbura has a role to play in the shortest format.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Always nice to get a win. Good sign off from Hammy. Amazing what he does without pressure. Giving him captaincy was a mistake.

Bowling changes and selections baffle me again. Almost like there is no game awareness. Coach and captain take blame for this one you would think.

In the end, a good win. Terrible of Williams to not be there at the end to see it through again.... :roll:

Hopefully the changes needed actually happen. Rajput needs to go though. He has no idea who he needs to be picking and what he needs to be doing. There doesn't seem to be a clear strategy towards 2023 and that's major concern.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Well done Hami. Glad for a nice sendoff after all the winter dread.

encore

Post by encore »

sam_ahm wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:54 pm
encore wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:18 pm
sam_ahm wrote:

Mate consistency is the key, I also think T20 is Zimbabwe's weakest format. They need some big hitters for sure, Zhuwao is well suited for T20s, Raza has got good T20 exposure by playing in various leagues, so you cannot discount him. Kamunhukamwe needs to be groomed properly if he is a big hitter. I would also like to see Moor in there. Mire was a good T20 player but sadly he has retired.

Also no matter what others say, I think Chigumbura has a role to play in the shortest format.
I can't argue with that. I think Mire might come back for the T20s if things don't go entirely well with what he's planned.

A good starting point will be a decent T20 competition which pulls in some of the top available T20 batting & bowling talents from CAN, NAM, KEN, USA, AFG, BD, SCO, UAE, NEP, IRE, NED etc. There can be the odd Saffer, PAK, SL. I think an XI split of 6 local and 5 overseas will do it.

The budget can't be that bad. In Afghanistan Tamimm signed for as little as USD25k, and Sabbir less than USD10k.

So 4 teams of around 6 overseas professionals at an average of USD10k, exlcuding flights and accomodation etc, is a fraction of what KJ & BT get per year combined. So with decent management (and bad) ZC can definitely pull it off. They can accomodate it from the ICC grant, especially if not Central Contracts are not offered for the next year, because they simply aren't necessary or justifiable (and the UAE-BD tours have proven as much considering the number of players and performers - most guys are worth a shout).

I believe there's enough T20 talent in those "smaller" sides, and a bit extra can go to the likes of Sandeep Lamichhane and Roelof van der Merwe. 20 top young ZIM T20 players(Musakanda, Murray, Mashinge, Ndlovu, Kaunhukamwe, Ngarava etc) rubbing shoulders with those guys will definitely improve them.

The local one is good, but I feel a Chari, Ngarava and M'shangwe doing well in it against the internationals like the Tiripano, Williams, Moor etc, doesn't give a true reflection, because some of the spinners are not really top spinners, and pacers not really top shelf, same with the better batsmen batting too low while you only have 4 overs and generally won't bowl to them. So you're guaranteed to bowl to a Hami/Stirling/Coetzer/McLeod, whereas you most likely won't bowl to a Raza.

It will be short and sweet - 4 teams playing 4 times against each other, then the final and 3rd/4th place play-off.
Voice of reason.