Problems with the players as I see it

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
chesterton

Problems with the players as I see it

Post by chesterton »

Hi all,
just a humble fan from afar that has been following the team long term since 2011.

Just to stimulate some talk as its been quiet, apart from the troll posts, I thought I would like to share some of my thoughts on how the players are faring.

I'll stick to the main guys.

Chatara- Is playing well, but isnt being tested. Seems to lack sme control.

Jarvis- overpaid from what hes reported on but still Zims best bowler but doesnt belon in the t20 setup.

Sean Williams- Very talented player, but goes missing alot. He only seems to score big when the game has slipped away from a winning spot.

BT- Is declining and its a worry when he is on big money. Needs to open

Craig Ervine- Going well, good player, but really should be opening.

Ainsley Ndlovu- Bright future.

Googly

Re: Problems with the players as I see it

Post by Googly »

The focus has been on BT’s and KJ’s package, but no one seems to know much about what the other centrally contracted players are on.
If we survive 8th Oct it’s going to be very interesting to see what happens with these central contracts.
I’m not sure we have a player that could get a county contract anymore, and that’s alarming. BT’s and KJ’s form almost takes them out the mix for County if they were to consider a return. It tells us exactly where our cricket is at. I would think Cremer put the feelers out when he left. You’d think Craig would have also done the same.
Is Blessing a better bowler than Chats? How does Chats rate against KJ? My point being he must have thought about County as an option, they always need decent seamers, and he’s thereabouts.
Burl and Moor played quite a bit of cricket in England and I’m not sure how close they got to being considered, but I’d think if they had been offered they would have done a stint.
I think Sean Williams might have made a good County player, I’d love to know whether he was ever approached.
Hammy, Vusi and perhaps Prosper in their prime were County certainties, but County cricket has gotten a whole lot more competitive over the last few years and they’ve closed shop and only the very best internationals get a sniff now.
I’ve watched a helluva lot of County and I know as fact we only have a couple of guys now that might not fail dismally at that level, Yet here we are getting mugged at associate level and hoping that we might claw our way back up to winning a couple of games against the full members. It’s never ever going to happen.
I could pick a team of English 18-22 year olds that would comfortably beat Zim in any format 9 out of 10 times on any deck. They’d also have played more games in total than our 30 something year olds. I’d love to be able to arrange that actually, not to demean anyone, but to give the people here wake up slaps and to figure out what we need to try and do with our very limited resources.
All this talk of there now being opportunities for guys now that Hammy and Solly are gone is just a distraction. We don’t have anyone in waiting remotely close to being able to bat with any degree of success and consistency at international level and we fall further behind with each passing month. There is no amount of coaching or game time in our environment that will make these existing guys succeed on the international stage. There’s no disrespect here, it’s just irrefutable fact.
Because we have a board, administrators and coaches that have no knowledge or real interest and because we are so isolated, people here are just unaware of what’s out there.
With very few exceptions you have to be an extraordinary schoolboy in a competitive environment to have the slightest chance at turning pro. In the UK out of 20 exceptional youngsters maybe one gets a contract and out of those even less get it renewed, It’s actually way oversubscribed and there’s much disillusionment.

What makes me shake my head is when ZC let the good ones slip through their fingers, or worse, make no effort to reel them back when there’s opportunity. These guys don’t grow on trees and they’ve never figured it out. Our failed school system that somehow miraculously throws up the odd fantastic youngster is an enigma, it just shouldn’t happen. In the last ten years we’ve produced Curran, Muyeye, Byrom and Welch as batsmen. Curran isn’t even considered a batsman in international cricket!! What does that tell you?? These guys would have solved all our batting woes. Maybe I’m the only one that thinks like this?
The only guy left to entice back is Muyeye, and they won’t manage it, plus one guy doesn’t make much of a difference, but 4 or 3 would have been a game changer.
Can you imagine these boys in a batting line-up!! It makes me want to burst into tears thinking about it.
Watch Byrom next year, he’s going to absolutely set it alight, he’s an unbelievable talent, Welch signs the day he’s eligible in January and you won’t find a tougher more combative batsman anywhere, and I know they’re making plans for the most talented of the lot of them- Muyeye.