SHIT! Zimbabwe lost to Singapore

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimbos_05

Re: SHIT! Zimbabwe lost to Singapore

Post by zimbos_05 »

Incase anyone is wondering, these are Eltons last 10 T20Is innings - 54*, 8, 16, 14, 7, 5*, 2, 0, 6, 26.

Whats that? A comparison? Ok. With who? Sean? Really? Ok, then, i guess.

Sean - 34, 58*, 2, 0, 2, 21*, 0, 66, 53, 11*

Also guys, remember how they tell you, not finishing your overs is a crime. Not anymore. You go big and if you lose all your wickets straight away and lose, at least you went big.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Well the way they play T20’s these days is to go with at least one stroke maker up front, a guy that holds his shape and hits in the V, the plan is to get to the 6th over with one down at most. Without too much risk you can go at 8-10 because of the restrictions, the rate then usually comes back a bit and then they try and keep wickets intact for the last 4-5, but Encore has a better way :lol: and is avoiding the real issue which is the arse f%#ing his new look team is getting in India. :lol: :lol:

Googly

Post by Googly »

It’s hard to compare batting totals of players who bat at different positions, you also need to look at the strike rates in T20. Of course if you get a string of scores of less than 15 in the front 4 you’re about as useful as tits on a bull :lol:
The best example of a stroke maker doing well up front was Gill in this last IPL. He started at 7 and was expected to come in and slog, but someone with a brain (I think it was an Aussie coach?) opened with him and he could just play normal cricket, lookin for one boundary an over and two if the bowler got it wrong and he plundered.
If you’re a good player the easiest spot in T20 is opening, there’s only one way to play. It’s the middle order guys that have to adapt and take it deep (take note, Encore), which is why Dhoni was so good. You’ll very rarely find a slogger that lasts more than 3-4 overs in T20 against s good attack, which is why Russell usually came in around the 15th. Misinformed people were asking why he didn’t come in sooner, we’ll the answer is he won’t survive that long unless he reins it in a bit.
You should be an IPL coach and buck the system and see how your team does. :lol:

Googly

Post by Googly »

What I’m really waiting for is your synopsis on the Proteas raping :lol:

Googly

Post by Googly »

Also how do you compare an innings from a 50 over game when youre talking about T20? Why not throw in a test match stat on miserly bowling :lol:

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Googly wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:01 am
What I’m really waiting for is your synopsis on the Proteas raping :lol:
Didn't watch the game, but better teams have done worse in India. It'll take SA a while to adjust to life after Steyn, Amla, de Villiers.
I'm more bullish about their chances in the coming years than you are... yes they are destroying their own system with quotas, BUT due to the sheer numbers of people involved in the game they are still going to keep producing good cricketers for a while to come yet.

It's not like Zim where there's like a few hundred men playing the game, in SA there'd be thousands upon thousands. And if Brexit stops the flow of South Africans playing county maybe a few more will stick around.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I don’t agree at all.
Firstly there are no more Amla’s And De Villiers in the pipeline. They’ve pinched it out at age group level. They’ll produce some decent seamers, I’m not disputing, but their batting stocks have been done irreparable damage.
Secondly they have some numbers, but not millions like India, and there’s little point in having a lot of mediocre players, quality over quantity wins every time.
Thirdly white kids lose interest because they know they’re not going to get picked, so they just take their foot off the pedal.
Thirdly Brexit may not make players come back. There’s no guarantee they’ll get picked, they may have other options and why come back to a Rand that’s 20:1 to the Pound and an economy and political situation that’s imploding?
Fourthly Brexit won’t trap players in SA, that wave has gone, there’s no other wave coming. It’s the guys that had international exposure that left, there’s no next wave, but if there was they wouldn’t even get domestic exposure, so who’d want them?
Fifthly the lack of interest amongst the whites is all too obvious when you see their crowds and their lack sponsorship. The white companies won’t throw money at cricket anymore, and neither will the black companies. They’re not interested in cricket and they too don’t trust the guys at the helm. It’s common knowledge how much money has gone astray there.

They will always be a lot better than us, of that there’s no doubt, but where they end up in the next few years will put into context how far we’ve sunk, not that we don’t know that.
I’ve watched every sport implode here, and am watching the same in SA. Everyone that says SA is too big, too much money etc is sadly mistaken. Their problems are snowballing and it’s going to get very ugly there very soon.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I know you didn’t watch, but there was a very interesting couple of minutes where they were focusing on Faf Du Plessis on the balcony and it was clear as day that there was a big vibe between him and one of the coaches.
I’m not sure who Proteas next play at home, but that’s going to be very interesting to see how they do. I predict Faf hasn’t got long to go before he jacks it in as well.
I’d be curious how many young guys have been absorbed into their domestic structures, particularly last year’s u19’s. There was a very very good kid that we watched up here when he came with his school, amazingly he batted at 7 in their u19 set up. I’ll google him now and see where he’s playing, because he was a serious lad and should have been fast tracked. They’re doing what ZC did, it’s not as obvious because of the money and numbers, but they’re going down the exact same path, and it’s a one way ticket to oblivion.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

I agree that they are making the same mistakes and going down the same path and that they aren't "too big" to fail. I just don't agree with your timeline. 10 years from now I still think South Africa will be able to field a strong team that could beat Australia.

50 years from now? If racist policy continues driving away the white population then they could be in real trouble.
The big variable in this is if they can produce better quality black players than Zimbabwe did. Obviously they are producing good seamers like Rabada and Ngidi, if in time they can produce world class black batsmen (eg. 50 avg instead of 30 avg) as well then maybe they can maintain the quality of the team.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Gerald Coetzee is his name. I watched him here in a T20 festival, he was pipped to the batting prize by a 15 year old Muyeye and he’s considered to be more of a bowler, but I didn’t see it like that. I haven’t seen him for a couple of years though. I see he’s in a system and played a couple of games. I’ll keep tabs on him because he was so good, but I’m willing to bet he’ll get fed up with cricket in a while. Serious player.