[Match Thread ] Singapore Tri Nation T20I Game 4 | NEP v ZIM

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: [Match Thread ] Singapore Tri Nation T20I Game 4 | NEP v ZIM

Post by Googly »

I think it was Streak and Campbell that tried to organize a fast bowling competition to try and identify someone that may have been overlooked, such was their desperation to find someone who could bowl 140, or who had the potential to. It’s a bit bizarre that they even suspected there might be someone out there that had escaped everyone’s attention. I know a couple of youngsters that could be taught to bowl really quick, but who’s going to do that, who’s going to pay for it, and to what end?
I see Andy Flower has just been booted, as has Grant. In different circumstances there would be an opportunity to get them both back here, but they’re not wanted.
Andy Flower’s disciplinarian approach would not be well received by our rabble of club players, but if there was ever anyone to instill a bit of backbone into a jellyfish he’d be the go-to guy.

Googly

Post by Googly »

You’d think the Makoni’s Muzarabani Centre of Excellence would have produced a Joffra Archer by now. I wonder how that’s all going, it received some early publicity, someone should do a follow-up. If the MD’s personal pet project isn’t working then what else has a chance?

encore
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by encore »

TapsC wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:38 pm
Chari was unlucky but I have never seen a Chari knock which was smooth. Even when he scored 80 odd he had 4 or 5 near misses. Its always a struggle story. Im sorry he just isnt good enough for international cricket. Domestic cricket yes but not this level.

Its really sad when you realize 33 year old Mpofu might be the only bowler in the system who can bowl at least 137kph. That is pathetic. I remember watching the u19s with the Matigimus and Ngaravas and watching them bowl faster than the senior gents. Now the Ngaravas are in the system and he has lost some pace as well. Something is wrong with the system. Personally if I could fire 1 person in that coaching staff it would be Hondo. He has been a passenger for 5 years now. Not even 1 bowler has improved. He offers nothing at all
Chari has the most runs in the Pro50 while opening the batting(i.e. since it changed form 40 overs), plus 5 centuries, two more than Craig and Raza. Only Hami has the same number of sixes as him. He's also only bettered by Hami in the T20 competitions in Runs. Simply put, he has the goods.

It was only his 2nd T20. He definitely has the ability to dominate and is competent against pace and spin. I have faith in him to play a big role for ZIM going forward. I rate Chari.

ZIM have not prepared the pitches for seamers to thrive in. That's why the likes of Chinouya and Tiripano thrive more. So it's not age that's made the faster Shingi and Mpofu get less wickets. Kingsmead Durban has ZIM like pitches. That's where Abbott used to thrive. While a guy like Viljoen thrived at the Wanderers.

No point in blaming Hondo for this, when he's managed to get a Chatara who was injured to actually continue to thrive while having less pace. And by the way, at some point Tiripano was actually ZIM's better T20 bowler.

Ngarava, Mumba and Muzarabani would be quite deadly on most SA pitches. Mashinge did just fine in English conditions, plus the Rising Stars played some decent batsmen(some internationals) so he can't be bad.
Voice of reason.

encore
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by encore »

Googly wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:01 pm
I think it was Streak and Campbell that tried to organize a fast bowling competition to try and identify someone that may have been overlooked, such was their desperation to find someone who could bowl 140, or who had the potential to.
More like such was Streak's desperation to avoid picking Tawanda Mupariwa.
Andy Flower’s disciplinarian approach would not be well received by our rabble of club players, but if there was ever anyone to instill a bit of backbone into a jellyfish he’d be the go-to guy.
Nah Ray Jennigs rather. He's less of a hypocrite.

Mangongo is still there too by the way.
Voice of reason.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

encore wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:53 pm
Chari has the most runs in the Pro50 while opening the batting(i.e. since it changed form 40 overs), plus 5 centuries, two more than Craig and Raza. Only Hami has the same number of sixes as him. He's also only bettered by Hami in the T20 competitions in Runs. Simply put, he has the goods.

It was only his 2nd T20. He definitely has the ability to dominate and is competent against pace and spin. I have faith in him to play a big role for ZIM going forward. I rate Chari.

ZIM have not prepared the pitches for seamers to thrive in. That's why the likes of Chinouya and Tiripano thrive more. So it's not age that's made the faster Shingi and Mpofu get less wickets. Kingsmead Durban has ZIM like pitches. That's where Abbott used to thrive. While a guy like Viljoen thrived at the Wanderers.

No point in blaming Hondo for this, when he's managed to get a Chatara who was injured to actually continue to thrive while having less pace. And by the way, at some point Tiripano was actually ZIM's better T20 bowler.

Ngarava, Mumba and Muzarabani would be quite deadly on most SA pitches. Mashinge did just fine in English conditions, plus the Rising Stars played some decent batsmen(some internationals) so he can't be bad.
I did a quick search on Chari and your favourite person, Williams. Chari has 599 T20 domestic runs. Williams has 1151. Then I also looked at the century thing and Chari has 4 overall and Craig has 10. I thought your point about him having more as an opener has credit, but that's also because Craig and Raza are not openers....soooo......yeah, just going to call bullshit.

There is point in blaming Hondo. It is his job to produce quality bowlers and he has not. He has simply failed at his job. You fail at your job, you get fired. Simple.

chesterton

Post by chesterton »

I like Sean Williams, but he should be nowhere near the national T20 team unless it’s a dead rubber.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Most international coaches don’t have too much to do, they get delivered some seriously good players that perhaps need a bit of fine tuning, but what they really need is some mental input into how to deal with the pressures of playing at the highest level. They’re more managers than actual coaches. Our guys get dumped with players who are literally way off the pace and with major technical flaws.They’d need to perform miracles with some of the guys they get. I’ve seen a lot of batting coaches for example that just stand there and don’t say much. Grant Flower is one of the few guys that does the hard yards and throws constantly, as does Brent. The best batsmen usually have their own coaches and when they practice with the National side they tell the throwers what they want to work on, they know their own game.
I was very disappointed with Mashinge’s performance
with the ball, but I’d like to see him bat. Both of them probably tried to bowl a bit faster than they usually do, which is fairly amateurish. Whether you bowl 128 or 131 is neither here nor there. Anyway you shouldn’t can them after one outing, let’s have another look.
Where is Tiripano? He’s a better bowler than both these guys.
Encore where are you getting your stats from? You invent a lot of stuff depending on where you’re at with your medication and your The Return Of The Black Panther novel, but don’t make up stats! :lol:
Are you on the zanu vote counting team? :lol:
If you believe Chari is the best man-in-waiting we’ve got them we must absolutely persevere with him. I sincerely hope he comes good, but if he doesn’t then it would only be correct for you to admit that we don’t have anybody in our FC system that can cope batting up front in international cricket. If you have to admit that then by default you’re admitting that our FC is non existent, that we have no structures, no pathways and that in fact Chingoka, Bvute and co were actually the architects of our demise. If you recall that story about the hidden camera where the culprits were shown the footage and still denied their involvement, well that’s going to be you :lol: Let’s face it, if he can’t cope with a free license in T20 against these two teams he’s going to be pressed when he’s got Cummins, Bumrah, Archer, Starc etc etc etc running in at him.

Googly

Post by Googly »

chesterton wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:25 am
I like Sean Williams, but he should be nowhere near the national T20 team unless it’s a dead rubber.
Who would you suggest replaces him? He’s first batsman on the list in all formats. If you don’t think our team needs a good batsman that can play an anchor role, is brilliant against spin, and can change gear then I don’t know.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Nah Ray Jennigs rather. He's less of a hypocrite.
In what way is Flower a hypocrite?
Bear in mind Jennings’ son plays for England :lol:

Googly

Post by Googly »

Mangongo is still there too by the way.
This is what ZC is best at- recycling guys that they decided before didn’t suit :lol: We’ve got musical chairs with the players and now the coaches?
I like Steve’s passion and enthusiasm, but he’s not an international coach, his perfect role is as a development coach, which is way more important in the long run. He’s low on temper control and ability to assess what a player might respond to. Last time he was mentioned here he was waiting for his 300k severance and had fallen out with ZC.