Forum memories thread

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
cricket_22001

Re: Forum memories thread

Post by cricket_22001 »

African American is the polite and inoffensive way of saying people from that heritage. Stop living in the Stone Age.USA has nothing to do with it.

I can't let this go.

Chesterton, are you telling me it is impolite & offensive to regard a person as Zimbabwean of Shona heritage. I have to refer them as African American?
And really? African American has nothing to do with the USA?

chesterton

Post by chesterton »

cricket_22001 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:43 pm
African American is the polite and inoffensive way of saying people from that heritage. Stop living in the Stone Age.USA has nothing to do with it.

I can't let this go.

Chesterton, are you telling me it is impolite & offensive to regard a person as Zimbabwean of Shona heritage. I have to refer them as African American?
And really? African American has nothing to do with the USA?
Without knowing the individual, African American is the nicest way of referring to those people and most politically correct.

Please remember that no two Shona are the same. They are a very bright and individual race.
Some Shona would prefer being called blacks.
Others ‘brothas’ and some even like being called ‘THE N BOMB’.

However until you get to know and test out the Shona in your friendship or work circle, African American is the safest bet. Down the line you can say things like ‘how are you my N bomb?’ And ‘what’s good in the hood?’ But you need to be on a certain level of friendship first.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

chesterton wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:08 am

Without knowing the individual, African American is the nicest way of referring to those people and most politically correct.

Please remember that no two Shona are the same. They are a very bright and individual race.
Some Shona would prefer being called blacks.
Others ‘brothas’ and some even like being called ‘THE N BOMB’.

However until you get to know and test out the Shona in your friendship or work circle, African American is the safest bet. Down the line you can say things like ‘how are you my N bomb?’ And ‘what’s good in the hood?’ But you need to be on a certain level of friendship first.
If you want to be politically correct, then just call them African. That is what they are. They is nothing American about them and they should not be associated with that sad excuse for a nation.