The greatest season that was: Andy Flower podcast

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: The greatest season that was: Andy Flower podcast

Post by Googly »

https://www.3-mob.com/sport/colart-mako ... a6dLiWxWEc

This is an interesting article and shows the genuine concerns of black players.
However for me one paragraph there highlights an unrealistic expectation. The author makes mention of some keeper/batsmen that he feels were overlooked on racial grounds, but if you look at our keeper/batsmen over the last 15 years (Flower, Taibu, Taylor) how were these guys better than these three?
Maybe the author wasn’t clear and they weren’t all keeper/batsmen?

Anyway it highlights a big problem that we have-
The guys in our national side are usually going to struggle on the international stage simply because other teams have such large player pools and more resources and man for man they’re usually better than us. So our national side is going to fail more often than not, then do we just constantly rotate the failed cricketers with guys in the wings and hope for a miracle or do we stick with guys that someone with some skills has identified as the best we’ve got until someone really sticks their hand up?

A prime test case is going to be Munyonga, Jakiel and Mashinge. We’re in new territory here where there’s three brand new guys in the side. The jury is not in for me yet with Munyonga, he may hold his own, but the other two are going to struggle.

Googly

Post by Googly »

What that article does make clear is that the battle for the cricket has now been won and only white unopinionated guys who will tow the line and look after hard won black interests will be tolerated. I’d say the only white guy who’s half successfully navigated this political minefield has been Alistair Campbell, he’s a bright man.
It sums up the general consensus and it’s very enlightening in that regard.
The problem is that it’s been done so poorly by guys who were also busy jostling for position whilst at the same time pushing the cause that we’re now in a hole from which there’s little chance of escape.
That has to have been a tough fight-
Firstly presenting a united front against oppression and fighting bitterly behind the scenes for position before, during and after the battle is won. The public focuses on the big fight and the critical behind the scenes stuff goes largely unnoticed. It’s the story of Zanu at the end of the day, isn’t it?
This post of MD is all-important. Is Makoni staying on or is there a changing of the guard and if so who is in line for the job? For the package he’s purportedly on you could probably get anyone in the world :lol: and you’d get someone who isn’t going to get into the trenches on social media platforms and get into the worst low level shit you’ve ever heard. Aside from him having fought with every single person that has ever disagreed with him if the Board thinks he’s the right guy then I fear all is lost. He has delivered nothing but hate and divisiveness. If this is the let bygones be bygones new era then let them prove that by getting a world class MD.
Not that I’m suggesting Houghton or A Flower, and I’m certain they’ve made their own lives over in UK now, but I’ll guarantee you they’re not on 20-30k a month and dodging tax. We’re looking for a local guy that ticks all the boxes for a great MD. Kudet, Taps, any suggestions?
We all focus on who’s the coach, but it’s the MD that calls the shots to really kick start our cricket.

kudet
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by kudet »

they will obviously look for a black guy, under no circumstances would they let a white guy at the helm. a preferred choice would be one sympathetic to the board and loyal to the ruining party or an outside bet would be hammy, but we will see..

on another note though, i really wish that the zim players take a leaf from the bangla boys. this is how you air out your grievances, mobilise every first class cricketer, table out the grievances rocking the game and not being self centered. just look at how articulate they were. the board will act. this should inspire the zw boys!!

Googly

Post by Googly »

Fair point, but nobody but nobody can squash insubordination, insurrection and revolution faster than our people here. If they attempt to copy the Bangladesh boys this will be Hammy’s first task to nip it in the bud, he’s got a degree in this already :lol:
There’s no cause to make noise just yet. I don’t think they’ve even set a date for the FC season yet? There’s no reason for them not to start right now, but I predict mid November as the rains start and another severely shortened season to save cash. For some reason they don’t like going into March and April when everything is beautiful and green, the rains have stopped and it’s nice and cool. :lol: Nothing will change here, they’ll be enthusiastic for a short while and then it will be business as normal.
Friday is a holiday where Zanu are marching against sanctions which have destroyed our country. This is how gullible people are here. God help Zimbabwe.

Googly

Post by Googly »

According to unconfirmed reports we do finally have a couple of Zim A games lined up.....against Uganda.
I do hope we beat them.
Women’s cricket ... box ticked
Zim A tour .... box ticked.
U14 age group side selected ..... box ticked.
As soon as they lift sanctions we’ll be good to go.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Googly wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:19 pm
According to unconfirmed reports we do finally have a couple of Zim A games lined up.....against Uganda.
I do hope we beat them.
Women’s cricket ... box ticked
Zim A tour .... box ticked.
U14 age group side selected ..... box ticked.
As soon as they lift sanctions we’ll be good to go.
Do you know much about the kids in the Under 14’s Googly?

I saw on twitter a kid named Dylan Dzvenga scored 180 odd against Natal a few months back, have you seen him play?
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

I feel like we are concur on most points if not all, but just saying things differently.

Googly

Post by Googly »

No I don’t know any of them, but will get up to speed in due course. The struggle for survival has left me with less time to watch cricket :lol:
I did see the picture of the squad though. There’s one boy in there that’s playing the wrong sport. He’s almost as big as Hamilton, he’s a giant!!

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Thats if the MD will even change. Lets hope the SRC did at least make them float job positions to the public. This is a 20k a month job in a collapsing economy. A public notice will attract the very best professionals in the country. It would also put them in a serious predicament if you do get for example andy flower against makoni. How will they justify picking him? Public perception is very important in these kind of organisations.

I personally dont believe you necessarily need a cricket person handling the books and day to day organisation. Where you need cricket people is at board level for the important decisions. The FD and MD can be seasoned professionals in their fields.

Googly

Post by Googly »

A public notice pinned to the back of the shed door where no one sees it unless they’re going for a joint :lol:
That’s a brave guy that applies for his spot, he’ll have brake failure as he hits the first intersection.