ICC Under 19 World Cup 2020 South Africa

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: ICC Under 19 World Cup 2020 South Africa

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

If we were to play moneyball, we would be well served to have 3 progress from this batch to the national side as rags going forward and a further 2 Logan cup regs.

It’s doable. There’s a few hyped ones so as long as they kick in and the next batch, and the next, we have out replacements.

To survive in any capacity we need a couple From this batch
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

To answer your question FF it seems there are two keepers in the squad, one being Dane Schadendorf & the other being young Marumani, from following the scorecards I’d say in the strongest XI Schadendorf will play as the keeper.

Going off scorecards & the precious little info available on these guys, I’d say batting is going to be their strength with lots expected from guys like Myers, Shumba, Madhevere & Schadendorf. Young Tugwete who is also apparently a very good footballer has been doing ok with the bat as well.

Bowling wise it seems the U19s are following in the footsteps of the senior team with them depending on a lot of part time spin from Shumba & Madhevere, Nyangoni who is a left arm wrist spinner has also been doing well.

In the pace department it’s hard to know how well young Brendon James & Samuel Ruwisi will go after they didn’t seem to play any warm up games prior to the squad being selected & haven’t set the world alight in the Zim Select games either.

The U19s team has always been the No.1 stream for talent for Zimbabwe cricket so it’s critical some of these guys commit to ZC, Gary Brent mentioned that he’s seen some guys in that squad he’d like to get into the ACHPP, maybe there is finally a pathway for these young guys from school cricket to international cricket?
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Its a tough group of ZIM. BD have probably their most balanced U-19 side in recent history. Our batting is quite strong, the spinners are almost surely decent as always too. But for the first time we have an actual pace attack with all 4 of seamers looking like certain national team prospects. Pakistan always do well at the age group level as well, and Naseem Shah will be leading their attack after he just took a Test five-for yesterday!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Looking at Zimbabwe’s last two groups at this event this is still their best chance of progressing, in 2018 they had Australia & India which they were never getting past & in the 2016 edition they had England & eventual winners West Indies.

Can’t say I know anything about the Pakistan & Bangladesh sides but I’m still confident this is their best chance to go through since 2006.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

jaybro wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:25 am
Looking at Zimbabwe’s last two groups at this event this is still their best chance of progressing, in 2018 they had Australia & India which they were never getting past & in the 2016 edition they had England & eventual winners West Indies.

Can’t say I know anything about the Pakistan & Bangladesh sides but I’m still confident this is their best chance to go through since 2006.
That's what I thought too. But I have hardly followed the fortunes of Pak and BD in U19 cricket so I don't know how strong or weak they are. But I have a strange mixed feeling about this. If Zim U19 do progress to the next round, it would give some kind of legitimacy to Utseya's coaching role and he'll line up for bigger things in future...

Would have loved this squad with Mangongo.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:

Idk much about the PAK side beyond Naseem but this is one of the strongest BD sides at the U-19 level, and we usually always make it to the knockout stages. We are most likely favored to top the group.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:27 pm
jaybro wrote:

Idk much about the PAK side beyond Naseem but this is one of the strongest BD sides at the U-19 level, and we usually always make it to the knockout stages. We are most likely favored to top the group.
Never one to underestimate Bangladesh’s chances lol

How much exposure have these boys had to conditions they’re going to see in South Africa?

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:03 am

How much exposure have these boys had to conditions they’re going to see in South Africa?
This U-19 side has done well in NZ (won the series 4-1) and usually dominates England in English conditions. SA conditions will be alien to all teams barring SA themselves. Our U-19 usually play well until the knockouts, which is why topping the group is as far as one can predict with our boys :D
Given their relative strength, they are probably a top 4 side for the 2020 event. Its a well rounded side both in batting and bowling, and the fielding is decent as well.

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

Samuel Ruwisi has been withdrawn due to a back injury, replaced by Nkosilathi Nungu.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Another couple of Zim U19s v Zim XI games

Dion Myers finding form at the right time with a big 150!!! Milton Shumba also spent some time in the middle plus took another 3’wickets, looks destined to be the perfect replacement for Sean Williams

https://www.crichq.com/matches/808264/2nd_innings

In this match Williams Mashinge hit a quick fire 50 to get Zim XI over 300, Shumba & Wes Madhevere again with the best bowling figures, it really seems they are the best bowlers innthenside which doesn’t bode well for the WC.

Only Dane Schadendorf & G Chirawu made decent scores in reply as Myers got a first ball duck

https://www.crichq.com/matches/808575/2nd_innings