Gary Ballance

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Mueddie28

Gary Ballance

Post by Mueddie28 »

W
How long was the last time Gary Ballance started for England...
Is they any possibility for him considering returning to play for Zimbabwe...
Is ZC trying to get him...

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Gary Ballance

Post by jaybro »

Mueddie28 wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:23 am
W
How long was the last time Gary Ballance started for England...
Is they any possibility for him considering returning to play for Zimbabwe...
Is ZC trying to get him...
No because he’d have to sit out for an extended period to qualify for Zimbabwe, changing national allegiances from an associate to a full member or vice versa doesn’t require as long of a cooling off period, but ZC are a full member.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Googly

Post by Googly »

ICC ruling is 3 years. He last played 14th July 2017 which means he’s eligible next year!! Time flies.

Googly

Post by Googly »

He’s a serious captain as well, had stress at Yorkshire with captaincy and batting but he knows what he’s doing.
If you introduced Ballance, Byrom, Muyeye and Welch into the mix there would be panic from a couple of the incumbents, there would be no room in the Inn :lol:
Add BT, Craig, PJ, Ryan, Sean, Raza, Eltie, Murray, and there would be some tough decisions.
Ballance got a bum deal from ECB. He’s a seriously good bat and should have been given another shot.
I would just love to know what Muyeye’s plans are. This guy is an awesome talent.
If I was in charge I’d get those 4 back here regardless of cost, they’d make a big big difference. If Encore was around he’d remind me that BT and KJ haven’t really set it alight, but I’d have to painfully explain that it is a game of incremental improvements. I’m not saying the younger guys are automatic picks, Byrom probably is as an opener, we’d need to see how Welch and Muyeye would go, but I’ve seen enough of them over the years to know they have massive ability. You’ve got to watch these two T off in T20. When they’re running hot in my opinion they would be our best T20 batters, even at their young age. Muyeye really has sublime skills which I know he can take into the more competitive games and Welch has that ability to really change gear, fast hands and hits it a country mile.
Anyway, in another life I guess.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Googly wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:24 am
ICC ruling is 3 years. He last played 14th July 2017 which means he’s eligible next year!! Time flies.
Really ? I thought it was longer
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Train Driver

Post by Train Driver »

And he would have to risk his career and income by hoping that Yorkshire would keep him on as an overseas player, if not his income would then depend on ZC paying him, maybe, perhaps, sometimes ........ he would have to have a series of psychiatric tests and then a medical to see if his testicles have moved to between his ears before making that decision :roll:

cricket_22001

Post by cricket_22001 »

Ok, hold the phone, here.
Regardless of time frames between international appearances, I'm pretty certain there is intention to whom one is committed to.
So Ballance is Zimbabwean born.
He debuts for Yorkshire in 2008- one FC match.
He has three FC matches for Yorks in 2010.
Then it's FC cricket England in 2011 & 2012 but Zimbabwe in 2010/11 & 2011/12.
He does not return to Zimbabwe for the 2012/13 season.
He tours Australia in 2013/14 & for the next few years is an England player.
He, seemingly, has no intention of representing Zimbabwe despite not being selected for England since July 2017.
So unless I'm chesterton & missing sarcasm & subtly, I think it is fanciful to think Ballance will be seen in Zimbabwean colours.
Mind you, it would be great to see.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Train Driver wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:39 pm
And he would have to risk his career and income by hoping that Yorkshire would keep him on as an overseas player, if not his income would then depend on ZC paying him, maybe, perhaps, sometimes ........ he would have to have a series of psychiatric tests and then a medical to see if his testicles have moved to between his ears before making that decision :roll:
What happens when somebody has dual citizenship or residence in another country. For example if Ballance had dual citizenship or permanent residence in the UK but a Zim passport. Would he still be considered an overseas player if he decided to play for Zim?

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Train Driver wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:39 pm
What happens when somebody has dual citizenship or residence in another country. For example if Ballance had dual citizenship or permanent residence in the UK but a Zim passport. Would he still be considered an overseas player if he decided to play for Zim?

Googly

Post by Googly »

No dual citizenship is allowed, however that three year issue is the stumbling block. Although he hasn’t represented England for nearly 3 years, he has not been resident here for that period. I think this regulation is relatively new, it’s just a guess, but it’s probably a couple of years old, put in place to stop people being too mobile.
A union could appeal to the ICC and there are exceptional circumstances that they would consider. I doubt they’d let Ballance just pitch up and play though. Someone that had been schooled there or was at Uni I don’t think there would be a problem with. Byrom would be an interesting one because although he was schooled there he has essentially been living and working there for 3 years.
ICC would just have to accept the pity card.

Here’s the link, quite interesting.
Kepler Wessels, Goodwin and Johnson are obvious examples of guys that just jumped over and started playing, but it looks like they’ve plugged that hole.
https://icc-static-files.s3.amazonaws.c ... t-2018.pdf