Cremer vs Shakib: The difference

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Cremer vs Shakib: The difference

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

The difference in reporting the incident. Both skippers of lesser teams. Cremer's is the example of how it is done, while Shakib's is an example of exactly what not to do. Really perplexing why Shakib kept quiet.

ICC should ideally make an example of how Cremer's case was handled and use it as a case study.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: Cremer vs Shakib: The difference

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Yeah.

Really sad about Shakib, I thought he was one of the good guys. I've only read bits and pieces about this, but apparently Shakib agreed to meet the bloke - so you know he was at least open to the idea of fixing. So any reduced suspension he gets is probably only because he didn't get the chance to fix, not that he didn't have the intent to. It's a real shame.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Have you ever noticed how Zimbabwe lowkey comes up in quite a few incidents. Even the UAE guys were approached aboutt games involving Zim. I can bet some USD that if they ordered every Zim domestic and national player to hand in their phones some of them would run.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Also the way he quickly accepted the charges suggests he is hiding a lot more if you ask me

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

There were rumours going around a few years ago that Elton & Chamu may have been approached or had actually fixed matches
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

This is of course disappointing butI dont think anything should surprise Bangladeshi cricket fans anymore. We a perfect example of how to be functionally non-functional.

My personal takes, bearing in mind I have no actual knowlege...these are just my educated guesses.

1) I do not think Shakib actually fixed matches. I say this because he is a fiercely competitive person and hates losing. I hope $$$ wouldnt change that.

2) I think the most likely reason he didnt report was due to extreme laziness. Shakib is known to be a very lazy cricketer. He routinely skips major tours, or claims injury, only to be playing in some T20 league immediately before or after (sometimes fucking BOTH!). I am pretty sure he even mentioned in an interview he hates training. I think he figured all the hassel of reporting was not worth his time.

3) I hope someone as clever as him would have realized its not easy to cover all tracks and thus did not fix any games.

The thing I am excited about is that his absence for however long will open up a slot in the team for younger players to step up. Tamim and Mushfiq will probably play another 5-7 years, possibly longer. But Shakib and Riyad have at most 3 or 4 years left.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Didn’t he agree to meet the bookie??

You can say that he’s a competitor or he hates losing and that he earns enough money from his numerous T20 gigs, but sadly one thing that brings down a lot of people is greed.

You might think he earns enough but people who earn lots of money always want more, if the likes of Hansie Cronje, Salman Butt, Saleem Malik etc could fall to temptation then Shakib could could as well.

It’s very sad because he’s the best Bangladesh cricketer if all time and his name will sadly always be remembered or linked to this.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

How did he get caught?

If I was an international batsman I would just take the money and play well anyway. Maybe take a few early swings.
If it works you come off like AB De Villiers in 2015 and get a bumper IPL deal and If you fail the bookies just think you complied.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Googly

Post by Googly »

It seems that the penalties for the players are harsher than for the people paying them to play in a certain manner, or to obtain information. I don’t think it’s even illegal in some countries.
What would happen if they bribed our guys to win? :lol:

Googly

Post by Googly »

Would our guys report it? :lol: