Over 50s CWC Squad

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Over 50s CWC Squad

Post by eugene »

Zimbabwe have just announced their squad. The most recognisable names are Eddo Brandes and Craig Evans, but the side also contains several other Zimbabwe representatives and first-class players.

They have named 18 players, with 2 to be removed shortly.

Brandes and Evans were part of the great Zimbabwe side of the late '90s and early 2000s.

Brandes took almost 100 international wickets in a 12-year career, with a best of 5/28 and a famous 4/21 against England at the 1992 World Cup. His ODI batting strike rate of 90.17 was among the highest of his generation.

Evans, who has just turned 50, was known as one of the hardest hitters in world cricket. To show that he can still whack a ball, Evans scored 103* from 64 balls (16 fours and 4 sixes) for the Zimbabwe Over-50s in a recent warm-up match.

In another warm-up match, the side played the Zimbabwe Under-19 side and performed respectably, losing by 5 wickets.

The side will be captained by Darrell Goodwin, who played first-class cricket for the best part of a decade.

Another ex-international is Mark Burmester, who played 3 Tests and 8 ODIs as an all-rounder.

Below is the official team announcement:

The Zimbabwe Over 50s Cricket Association is pleased to announce our 18-man squad for next year’s Over 50 Cricket World Cup:

Darrell Goodwin (Captain)
Eddo Brandes (Vice Captain)
Tim Bartlett
Mark Burmester
Sean Edwards
Craig Evans
Brian Goodwin
Chris James
John Jameson
Greg McDonald
Rory McWade
Wayne Parham
Peter Sandys-Thomas
Garry Spence
Mike van Staden
Andrew Walton
Mark Warhurst
Kenyon Ziehl

Sanjay Patel (Scorer & Management Team)
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Googly

Re: Over 50s CWC Squad

Post by Googly »

Daryl and Brian are Murray Goodwin’s brothers.
Daryl Goodwin was a damned fine batsman in his day.
Brian drinks beer, great bloke.
There’s a couple of guys there that I wasn’t even aware played cricket.
I dunno how they got that team past the SRC without a quota :lol: This will be discussed in Parliament :lol:, this is an illegal gathering.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

I genuinely wonder how many black people over fifty play or have played cricket in Zim?
Living of course.

Chinooks was notable but he’s kicked the bucket.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

I'm disappointed Googly didn't make the cut :)

All the guys are still based in Zim, I reckon.

Where is this happening?

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

foreignfield wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:33 pm
I'm disappointed Googly didn't make the cut :)

All the guys are still based in Zim, I reckon (?)

Where is this happening?

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

.....but perhaps he was.
I’m drunk but assume that clever quote within a quote and ? is a subtle way of communicating that prospect.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

1/4 off topic.
Watched the over 50s World Cup at Manly oval last year. Mate asked me to be his best man during the game I watched. The bird he married had a relative play for England (she’s a Pom who came to Oz on a tourist visa and stayed).

Not that many (but some) big names, and almost all players were straddling the 50-55 mark (male athleticism dips rapidly from there so not surprising).

What I noticed is the batting was brilliant, my naked eye says that the batsmen were all close to first class level (one of the rules with Oz and England was players needed to be drawn from the level just below county for England and grade cricket for the aussies) and it showed. Every bat would walk into the Logan cup straight up no bullshit.

The bowling though was a bit light. Similar standard to high level park cricket. Batsman cleaned up (like Craig Evans hitting a 60 ball hundred the other day suggests) but the quality could be masked with toothless 115km hr fast bowling.

Makes me wonder if batsmen in general are retiring too young.
An eye opener for me That I’ll never forget was learning that test batsman actually have no quicker reflexes than the average joe, but the quality difference is based on judgment from where the ball bounces off the pitch plus mental strength. Changes what we know about batting. Unless this is common Knowledge already. In which I apologise for being an idiot up front.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Yeah, I think a lot of the reaction time difference is down to the batsman's predictive capacity based on those thousands of balls that Googly is always calling for. When you take them into another reflex test off the pitch they come back to the field. There is a reflex test at the bradman museum where the results of test cricketers aren't all that mindblowing.

Googly

Post by Googly »

A must read for any cricketer or coach is Bob Woolmer’s book- The Art and Science of Cricket of Cricket. It’s about 800 pages and it’s simply magnificent. The man was deeply thoughtful and smart.
Anyway there’s a few pages there dedicated to watching the ball out of the hand. They’d hooked up some contraption onto various batsmen’s heads and could deduce how carefully they tracked the ball. Not one batsman focused on the ball for the entire time, the mediocre ones only tracked the ball intensely for about 50% of its flight and the really good batters for little over 70%.
Peter Kirsten was involved in an experiment where the ball passed through a beam about 4 meters from release that plunged the net into darkness. It turned out that was all the cues he needed and he could play the shot with ease at 130 kph. Basically the very best get all their info within the first split second, hence the expression “he’s got lots of time.” You can teach it up to a point- just hit lots of balls, the rest is God given. I’ve done a similar thing with a few good kids where I tell them to close their eyes after I throw and they can all more or less hit it fairly consistently off a concrete deck.
My point being it’s probably less about reactions than hand eye coordination and an early read.
The interesting thing is that 22 yards and 135 kph is where most normal people are at their limit. Once you start getting past 140 there’s only a small handful that remain technically sound. It’s hard to tell how much of that is a person realizing that this red thing may actually kill them if they get it wrong as opposed to an ability thing.
You find that a greater portion of really good batsmen are fairly small guys with fast reactions though. It certainly used to be the case, with notable exceptions, but these days guys are just getting bigger and bigger.
It would be interesting to get good
batters to do that hand slapping thing that drunk blokes do in a bar to see if they had better reactions than most, and if the small guys were faster than the oafs.

I had a very interesting conversation with my mate a few weeks ago about eye domination ie which eye was dominant. His theory was that most left handers were right eye dominant and this is why there were so many good lefties around. His reason being that that was the eye ever so slightly in front. Most right handers are right eye dominant, that eye being slightly behind at set up and contact and interestingly I’ve asked a couple of really good right handers which is their dominant eye and a disproportionate number are left eye dominant, which is unusual.

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:44 pm
.....but perhaps he was.
I’m drunk but assume that clever quote within a quote and ? is a subtle way of communicating that prospect.
Actually, I wanted to edit my post not quote it :lol: