Random domestic player you would be following this season

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Random domestic player you would be following this season

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Who is a random player you would want to follow this season to see what they are made of? Need not be a rookie, but kind of almost, nowhere near national contention currently, but who you think could crack it may be - kind of like Mashinge and Kamunhukamwe in the last seasons.

For me, I'd be following Dion Myers obviously (if he gets game time), and Takudzwanashe Kaitano for some inexplicable reason

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Random domestic player you would be following this season

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

I struggle to get into most of them that aren’t hyped here. Because I know they are useless and that I’m just as good a player as them and I shouldn’t be let anywhere near professional cricket.

But for me the players I follow would be;
-all players in the National 11
-Murray
-Myers
-young Campbell - I only slot him in because he’s played in the overseas afghan t20 and prior to that I didn’t know he existed. I want to see if he’s got any talent at all or if his dad REALLY pulled strings to get him there, as in sucking dick and draining balls + gargle/swallow level, as opposed to just normal influential pulling strings connections. Not everyday a zimbo in Zimbabwe makes an overseas t20 league debut before his domestic first class debut.
-Muzarabani. Curious if he’s gone forward or backward since England.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Brent.

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

I wanted to say Dion Myers but Crimson's and Zimdoggy's scrutiny are enough pressure for the lad.

Random player in the Manica line-up: Roy Kaia. Always had a soft spot for the feller, but at 28 I don't expect any miracles from him.

Googly

Post by Googly »

They’ve put Myers in the side but there’s a month to go for the U19 WC and they go down early for some warm up games and then a month of the WC, then he’s back at school at St George’s so he won’t be missing any further school because he has to catch up the two months he will have missed. You’d think they would know that though :lol: I guess they’re anticipating our FC season extending into March? Know your players! :lol:

Googly

Post by Googly »

Actually I just heard that he’d been made Head Boy. I was going to say that he’d have been a prime candidate for a UK scholarship. He’s a great all round sportsman and fairly academic. I don’t know his circumstances but they probably dangled that carrot in order not to lose him.
If he’s properly handled ( :lol: :lol: ) he should be in our national side. He’s about twice as good as Tony Munyonga.
I’ve just seen that he often gives early chances, and you don’t usually survive those at international level, but this young man can play! Still not in the same dept as Muyeye though! I’m baffled why he’s not in the side. He has no future in the UK unless they’ve got an ace up their sleeve with a passport. Brexit is now looming large as well.
He must be nearly finished school and I would pay money to know his plans. The most talented batsman we’ve ever seen here since God was a boy, and that includes Byrom, Lake, Curran, Welch etc
Talent only gets you so far though, dog fuck and determination is what’s required in abundance, and he may well have that as well.

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

Kudzai Maunze, scored six centuries for his UK club in the summer and averaged over 40 opening the batting this year. Probably the best uncapped opener in Zimbabwe right now.

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

Googly wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:30 pm
They’ve put Myers in the side but there’s a month to go for the U19 WC and they go down early for some warm up games and then a month of the WC, then he’s back at school at St George’s so he won’t be missing any further school because he has to catch up the two months he will have missed. You’d think they would know that though :lol: I guess they’re anticipating our FC season extending into March? Know your players! :lol:
Think they are playing in a quad series against South Africa, Sri Lanka and New Zealand in South Africa. Should be good prep.

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

Googly wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:14 pm
Actually I just heard that he’d been made Head Boy. I was going to say that he’d have been a prime candidate for a UK scholarship. He’s a great all round sportsman and fairly academic. I don’t know his circumstances but they probably dangled that carrot in order not to lose him.
If he’s properly handled ( :lol: :lol: ) he should be in our national side. He’s about twice as good as Tony Munyonga.
I’ve just seen that he often gives early chances, and you don’t usually survive those at international level, but this young man can play! Still not in the same dept as Muyeye though! I’m baffled why he’s not in the side. He has no future in the UK unless they’ve got an ace up their sleeve with a passport. Brexit is now looming large as well.
He must be nearly finished school and I would pay money to know his plans. The most talented batsman we’ve ever seen here since God was a boy, and that includes Byrom, Lake, Curran, Welch etc
Talent only gets you so far though, dog fuck and determination is what’s required in abundance, and he may well have that as well.
Dion's brother Jack was a decent player as well, think he went to uni in the UK.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

I’m also keeping a keen eye on Dion Myers and the other two young ‘super stars’ Milton Shumba & Wes Madhevere, but I can’t see them playing much cricket this season so I’ll turn my attention to a few others.

Tinashe Kamunhukamwe Eagles - Can’t say I’ve seen a lot of him but his List A record as an opener is exceptional & Zimbabwe are looking for a couple of openers. Batting @3 in the Logan Cup which might be a good idea for now.

Tony Munyonga Eagles - Like Kamunhukamwe I haven’t seen much of him but he looked a tidy player in his 44 v Singapore. Might be hard for him to crack the national side for now but a big season will do him no harm.

William Mashinge Goats - The all rounder Zimbabwe dearly needs he bowls with decent pace & can hit the ball a long way. Seems to get starved of chances at the Goats but he’s started well with a patient 40 & three wickets already

Brian Mudzinganyama ACHPP - Opens the batting & bowls some handy spin Gary Brent spoke glowingly about this young hard hitting opening batsman. Not sure how he’ll go in the Logan Cup,
his best work might come in the shorter formats.

Davis Murwendo ACHPP - Again another player Brent spoke highly about, young Murwendo can apparently move the ball around with good effect so it will interesting to see how he goes.

As a whole the ACHPP will be the most intriguing aspect of this season, apart from BT & KJ they are very much an unheralded bunch, but the fact they’ve been actually training & playing for a while gives me hope Brent can work his magic on them.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement