Logan Cup 2019/20 R2 ACHPP v Eagles & Rhinos v Mountaineers

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Logan Cup 2019/20 R2 ACHPP v Eagles & Rhinos v Mountaineers

Post by jaybro »

Couple of my favourites Neville Madziva & Carl Mumba having good matches for the Rhinos

The Rhinos really have let their strong position slip, the Mountaineers well on top now, Kasuza looking good for another decent score and further pushing his claim for a Test Debut.

The ACHPP are well on top against the Eagles, Gary Brent really talked up his pace attack and they didn't disappoint with Davis Murwendo & Charlton Tshuma taking 4 wickets each.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by tawac »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:25 pm

Why isn’t BT playing?
Really sick of him never pitching up.
According to his tweeter BT was in Nyanga for the holidays.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Thanks for those responses jaybro, I had assumed that Munyonga was a proper allrounder, the way he is shown as one in Cricinfo and elsewhere. Fair enough if he is not. Also explains why he did not get much bowling when he played for Zim.

Kasuza goes for 86 again and misses a century. With these two scores converted, he would have already bolted the opener slot by now. Even otherwise, now he should be the clear front runner to replace Hamilton in the test squad.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

tawac wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:14 am
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:25 pm

Why isn’t BT playing?
Really sick of him never pitching up.
According to his tweeter BT was in Nyanga for the holidays.
See that’s shit. He has all the time in the world to take holidays and he books it in on the first week of the domestic season!?

I’ve been very critical in the past on how draconian ZC have been with players taking time off for overseas and such (and very justified) but this has gone in ten complete other direction in case I’m missing something. It’s out of character.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

It looks as if we could get two close finishes tomorrow, both batting sides in with a chance but also only a wicket or so away from a fatal collapse.

Chatara only bowled 3 overs in the first innings and hasn't reappeared since. Let's hope it's only a minor niggle. Spinners probably hold the key for the Goats, Wellington has gone for plenty, but my man R. Kaia has already claimed two scalps.

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Yeah great to see both matches going to the final day and two great finishes on the cards.

Kamunhukamwe-Kasuza looking like the form opening pair for the time being.

Possibly one of the most important knocks in the long career of Nyathi, that hundred in the first dig. Could still turn out to be the pivotal knock if the Rhinos can win it from here. Chatara's absence definitely helping them.
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:30 am
See that’s shit. He has all the time in the world to take holidays and he books it in on the first week of the domestic season!?
In Taylor's defence, it could be said that the lack of clarity on when the domestic season begins would have led to him planning Christmas holidays after waiting for a while. But overall, he has indeed generally skipped a lot of domestic matches over the years with no clarity whatsoever. But that's a disease across the board. As I have noted before, the only national team guys who have regularly played when they have been fit seem to be Craig Ervine and Hamilton Masakadza.

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

Confirmed today that it will be two tests against Sri Lanka.

Battle is on to find two openers, looks like PJ is keen to open. Burl needs to get back from the BPL asap.if he wants to be picked.

A third pacer is needed to support Chatara and Jarvis, does Mumba have a chance? Or even Garwe?

Really hope Chisoro is picked as the spinner, no one better than him and he can add runs at number 8. Or does Kaia play as an allrounder?

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

zimfan1 wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:07 pm
Confirmed today that it will be two tests against Sri Lanka.

Battle is on to find two openers, looks like PJ is keen to open. Burl needs to get back from the BPL asap.if he wants to be picked.

A third pacer is needed to support Chatara and Jarvis, does Mumba have a chance? Or even Garwe?

Really hope Chisoro is picked as the spinner, no one better than him and he can add runs at number 8. Or does Kaia play as an allrounder?
I wonder how ‘keen’ Moor is to open it he’s been told that Ervine will slot back in to the middle order & he’ll need to open if he wants to be in the side?

Prince & Kasuza have both had good starts to the season, but have failed to make it to three figures, if one of these guys can make a century or two before the Tests they’ll be picked.

Brian Chari is probably pencilled in as the incumbent, but how much weight does his decent showing in the last Test in Bangladesh 12 months ago hold?? We could have two new openers if Chari doesn’t make runs soon.

I really do hope they pick Mumba, he’s got some speed & bounce which is rare in Zimbabwe, I guess the type of pitches that are prepared will have a huge baring on the team selection.

If they prepare some seamer friendly decks they might even decide to go with a four man seam attack with Raza & Williams to add some spin.

A pace bowling quartet of KJ, TLC, Mumba & Tiripano could be effective on a similar pitch to what we saw at HSC in 2013 when Zimbabwe beat Pakistan. Although I don’t think Tiripano is the most penetrative bowler, he can be effective in the right conditions & his batting is a bonus, he can bat 8.

With a four man attack as well the skipper (who ever he may be) can use TLC & Mumba in short sharp spells which would be most effective for both guys.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

jaybro wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:56 am
I really do hope they pick Mumba, he’s got some speed & bounce which is rare in Zimbabwe, I guess the type of pitches that are prepared will have a huge baring on the team selection.

If they prepare some seamer friendly decks they might even decide to go with a four man seam attack with Raza & Williams to add some spin.

A pace bowling quartet of KJ, TLC, Mumba & Tiripano could be effective on a similar pitch to what we saw at HSC in 2013 when Zimbabwe beat Pakistan. Although I don’t think Tiripano is the most penetrative bowler, he can be effective in the right conditions & his batting is a bonus, he can bat 8.

With a four man attack as well the skipper (who ever he may be) can use TLC & Mumba in short sharp spells which would be most effective for both guys.
Yeah, absolutely, let's go for seam at HSC; we don't have a class spinner anyway, Raza/Willow are enough.

I'm already excited about the return of Test cricket. I know many people regard the Logan Cup only as an indicator for national team selections, but I rather follow the Logan Cup via scorecards--provided our few decent players pitch up--than a pathetic ODi via a Youtube stream from somewhere nowhere in the Lowlands or a village in Ulster.

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

Rhinos need 50-odd with three wickets left; Madziva is shaping up for his usual late order heroics.