Test Team vs Sri Lanka

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ZIMFAN

Test Team vs Sri Lanka

Post by ZIMFAN »

If the ever knowledgeable Zimfan1 is correct 2 tests are on the cards in the new year vs SL. What is your team??

Mine:

Moor
Regis
Craig
BT (capt & keeper)
Williams
Raza
Burl
Donny
Mumba
Jarvis
Chatara

Suspect they will find a way to have Chari in there and maybe Bobby. Either way, prepare a green top and let's go.

Do any of those in the know have any info on Cremer and if we have any chance of getting him back? I honestly don't know why he can't live in Dubai and still come here for the domestic season (such as it is, what two months?) and then various international arrangements.

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Test Team vs Sri Lanka

Post by sloandog »

Why do people still think Burl is a number 7..? The guy's a top order batter and a ten times better than Chakabva.

ZIMFAN

Post by ZIMFAN »

My logic was this. They will find a way to get Regi in the team. He is maybe not the best keeper but you may not want to put too much on BT. He is solid so maybe could open, a position we are short in.

Who would you swap him with Sloan in the top 6? I mean if you are going to get your knickers in a knot about it fine. He can bat 3/4/5/6 and drop everyone down one!

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

ZIMFAN wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:05 pm
My logic was this. They will find a way to get Regi in the team. He is maybe not the best keeper but you may not want to put too much on BT. He is solid so maybe could open, a position we are short in.

Who would you swap him with Sloan in the top 6? I mean if you are going to get your knickers in a knot about it fine. He can bat 3/4/5/6 and drop everyone down one!
I'm not so much as getting my knickers in a twist about it mate, more that we have a guy like Ryan Burl who averages 43 in 20 FC games in the top order, and yet people still perceive him that his success rate is going to be higher down the order, when i don't think it will.

We've been crying out for a solid test opener for god knows how long and I just think there's worse people to try out than Burl.

I'd literally make a straight swap. Burl to open, Regi further down with the gloves.

ZIMFAN

Post by ZIMFAN »

Fair enough! I just thought that Regi had some experience of opening and Burl was more in the middle order. Just exciting to be talking tests again

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

ZIMFAN wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:05 pm

But your logic falls over in the sense Regis will now have too much on him. Going from keeping to opener with no rest.

He may not be as good a talent as BT but as a human it’ll be tough to do when he’s fighting for his place.

At least it’s something that could be considered.

We do have an openers problem. I don’t think BT is the answer as he was killing it at number 4 and he’s very susceptibile early on because of his feet being stiff.

I’ll be watching Chari closely in the domestic scene.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

ZIMFAN

Post by ZIMFAN »

But your logic falls over in the sense Regis will now have too much on him. Going from keeping to opener with no rest.

He may not be as good a talent as BT but as a human it’ll be tough to do when he’s fighting for his place.

We do have an openers problem. I don’t think BT is the answer as he was killing it at number 4 and he’s very susceptibile early on because of his feet being stiff.

No Dogg, I want BT at 4 and keeping. Regis plays, in this scenario, as an opener only. We do have an openers issue and agree on Chari.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

ZIMFAN wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:50 pm

No Dogg, I want BT at 4 and keeping. Regis plays, in this scenario, as an opener only. We do have an openers issue and agree on Chari.
Understood. Apologies.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Still plenty of water to go under the bridge at this stage, I’d say there are a few ‘locks’ at this stage but at least six spots still up for grabs.

If Burl wants to make the Test team he’s going the wrong way about it, taking part in the BPL whilst the Logan Cup has kicked off isn’t really helping his cause. I understand the money side of things but you can’t have it both ways.

The pitch is will determine whether or not they go with a four man pace attack, if not Chisoro would have to be picked as the spinner IMO.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Burl and PJ are the best possible combo up top we can have right now. I doubt BT is fit enough to keep for more than 50 overs. I'm surprised Murray hasn't played at all. Regis is the only viable wicket keeper option for now. PJ has to be careful, if he doesnt score big he might get dropped. I'm also not sure about Raza. He plays so many t20s now he might not be mentally ready to bat for a long period of time.