Tests vs South Africa

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Tests vs South Africa

Post by eugene »

A thought came to me while I have been watching the South Africa v England series. With South Africa struggling to meet its quota, particularly for black africans, wouldn't it make sense for them to play Zimbabwe in a couple of tests which would allow them to blood some more black talent and get ahead of the quota game again? There is clearly a lack of international quality black batsmen in the South African system and blooding them against the big guns is madness, but against Zimbabwe it would probably be ok. With Zimbabwe desperate for any cricket it seems like this would be a win-win.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Tests vs South Africa

Post by sloandog »

I agree with this.

Just wonder which black batters would fill those positions.

Keegan Peterson is the only lad I can think of apart from Bavuma

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Yes Eugene, ‘your’ idea and not mine I told you on Facebook in December. :shock:

I have a follow up thought, more a question.

From my understanding the team is to be 6 coloureds with two black black proper black guys as part as the 6?

It feels to me lately it isn’t about diversity and colour, rather promoting the game to the black majority.

Would a revised quota of 3 full black in the 11 over 12 months be better?

A lot of coloureds look white anyway and they seem to be ok in SA society, and surely we are kidding ourselves if we really think asians need quota spots. Aren’t they wealthy in Africa?

At least this means SA are going to have their best 8 available, plus Rabada so realistically that ensures 9 player slots are full strength regardless of race.

Seems a better short term strategy than the LEGO war currently atm. Although I stress that I think any quota system in the national team is moronic.

If it was the NBA and they had a quota of three whites on the court at all times (see how racist that sounds?) I’d feel so embarrassed as a white person seeing that 1 or 2 unwrought quota guy get dominated on the court.

Question to the black guys, doesn’t it embarrass you seeing it on the world stage? There’s so many better ways to promote a game. The Springbok captain has a few good points on this subject. Who is a black dude against quotas.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

sloandog wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:28 pm
I agree with this.

Just wonder which black batters would fill those positions.

Keegan Peterson is the only lad I can think of apart from Bavuma
Khaya Zondo? It wouldn't have to be a full black team, just one where they can take a few more selection risks.

ZIMDOGGY, I have no memory of you telling me this idea. Not every idea is yours.

The coloured v black thing is nonsensical. Damian de Allende meets the coloured quota for the Springboks because he is Hispanic! I can actually live with the quotas at domestic level, but when it comes to international representation it is a joke.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Googly

Post by Googly »

Have you seen how many black cricketers and rugby players have white wives? This presumably means they will have coloured kids yet both parties remain silent about the black black issue. What will they say when their kids don’t make a side? - “You’re not black enough, you little puss?”
What do they say to their wives? - “just suck it up honey and let’s hope the kid comes out really dark.”
Neither the mother nor the father can now buy into the black black transformation.
Maybe they will dye their kids and hope there isn’t a blackground check and their hair isn’t too straight.
I think there’s one black black batsman in their top 25 in SA. I promise that in years to come when there really are a lot of disenfranchised people because the economy cannot hope to keep up with the population they will then start on which tribe people came from, or are you second or third generation SA black? This disgusting philosophy has no end.
This is blatant racism against whites, Indians and coloureds. They used to call it apartheid, now it’s BEE, Quota and transformation. The old school whites prejudiced everybody but themselves and this mob are three quarters of the way down the same road.
What sane person buys into any of this utter bullshit?

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

Googly wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:11 pm
Have you seen how many black cricketers and rugby players have white wives? This presumably means they will have coloured kids yet both parties remain silent about the black black issue. What will they say when their kids don’t make a side? - “You’re not black enough, you little puss?”
What do they say to their wives? - “just suck it up honey and let’s hope the kid comes out really dark.”
Neither the mother nor the father can now buy into the black black transformation.
Maybe they will dye their kids and hope there isn’t a blackground check and their hair isn’t too straight.
I think there’s one black black batsman in their top 25 in SA. I promise that in years to come when there really are a lot of disenfranchised people because the economy cannot hope to keep up with the population they will then start on which tribe people came from, or are you second or third generation SA black? This disgusting philosophy has no end.
This is blatant racism against whites, Indians and coloureds. They used to call it apartheid, now it’s BEE, Quota and transformation. The old school whites prejudiced everybody but themselves and this mob are three quarters of the way down the same road.
What sane person buys into any of this utter bullshit?
Two wrongs don't make a right. I think the Under 19s loss to Zimbabwe is more a reflection on where South African cricket is rather than Zimbabwe.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

I actually brought this up when they first brought in this quota system, I hoped they’d play Zimbabwe regularly in all formats to top up their quotas.

The fact Zimbabwe has performed so poorly both times they toured since hasn’t helped their case.

I would have thought though if ZC offered to host South Africa more often South Africa would be more interested, and surely at home on slow low decks the contest would be much closer like the Test in 2014.

Surely ZC could make money or at least break even from hosting them ?
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Googly

Post by Googly »

SA have always looked down on Zim. It goes back to Rhodesia days and the Currie Cups, now there are different people at both helms, but it’s still there. It’s probably a lot worse now. There’s probably close on 3 million Zimbos living illegally in SA and there’s a helluva lot of animosity towards them. The U19’s winning yesterday is a good kick in the nuts for them. :lol: I think our side is perhaps a bit more competitive than usual and theirs is a lot less, but it depends how they interpret that.
I don’t think Smith and Co will touch this, they’re waiting to see the repercussions from the whitening of the senior side and they’ll let their age group cricket burn to the ground. They’ve pushed as hard as they dare. I could pick an SA side from 5 of their big schools that would smash this U19 side of theirs. I could pick two sides of South African boys at school in England that would beat them by an even bigger margin. Their age group cricket is in tatters.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Their senior side is still way stronger than ours, and any A side would be significantly better than anything we could offer. There’s no point for them in any cricket with us at these levels. Our national side would compete with them at provincial level, but that’s not a good look for us, but we’d get lots of game time. If an A side could be included in their provincial set up that would be a huge win for us, but that’s not going to happen either.
They’ve got their own big problems and dramas unfolding and they’re not going to help us. Plus it would be an expense to have a side going back and forth all the time.
ZC would buy a 787 Dreamliner and that would be all our money...poof!!

Googly

Post by Googly »

So there’s a proposed bill being debated in SA parliament shortly that will see their Minister of Sport being the sole selector of every team sport across the board.
It will be passed as well.
So much for Smith and Co’s short lived reign.
We deal with absolute madness here daily.