Shocking !!! Chamu chibhabha named as odi and t20 captain

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
kudet
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Shocking !!! Chamu chibhabha named as odi and t20 captain

Post by kudet »

ich hab auf meine Heimat aufgegeben!! this is absolutely ridiculous!! honestly a dude who cant buy himself a run and let alone find a place in the XI gets to lead the national team!! i have lost respect for hamilton masakadza completely.. takashingaism at its best..

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Quite shocking, Chibhabha of all people!!!

Good to see Williams leading in tests though.

kudet

Post by kudet »

sloandog wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:21 pm
Where the article
https://www.3-mob.com/sport/zimbabwe-na ... hTC4JNKjIU
Zimbabwe Cricket have chosen the route of installing two different captains for the men’s national team.

Sean Williams is the new substantive Test captain, while Chamu Chibhabha has been plucked from the wilderness and will now lead the one-day international and Twenty20 international sides as interim skipper.

How about that? Not played a game for Zimbabwe in 16 months and named captain. To be fair, there was a time he was injured and when he has been playing for his Eagles side, Chamu has been good.

The appointments, as recommended by ZC director of cricket Hamilton Masakadza, were unanimously endorsed by the ZC Board at its meeting in Harare today.

In essence Masakadza picked his successors and says they deserved it:

The role of captain is an honour and a responsibility which Sean and Chamu thoroughly deserve, both of them being exceptional players and great servants of our game over the years.

I am delighted that they have accepted their new roles and I extend my congratulations to them and wish them all the best as they help to take Zimbabwe to the next level.

In other news, ZC have also changed the selection panel.

Former Zimbabwe international David Mutendera comes in as the convener. The other selectors are Gavin Ewing, Shepherd Makunura and Prosper Utseya.

Walter Chawaguta, who was the convener of selectors since May 2018, will now move to Rhinos as head coach, where he will be assisted by Stanley Chioza.

Chioza has been replaced as national team analyst by Mufaro Chiturumani.

In the only other change to the national team technical set-up, Travor Wambe has returned to take over from Anesu Mupotaringa as physiotherapist.

ZC will announce a fielding coach and a mental strength coach in due course, but the Board has confirmed the other national team support staff members as follows:

Lalchand Rajput (head coach), Dilip Chouhan (manager), Stuart Matsikenyeri (batting coach), Douglas Hondo (bowling coach), Walter Karimanzira (strength and conditioning trainer), Lovemore Banda (logistics manager) and Darlington Majonga (media manager).

SpitfiresKent

Post by SpitfiresKent »

Nepotism at it’s finest.

Googly

Post by Googly »

The people that need a mental strength coach are the supporters :lol:
This is all a very sad sick joke.

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

sloandog wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:58 pm
I bet there’s no chance of Ryan Burl being in this squad.
Moor should be in the squad regardless, he’s been fantastic in test cricket for Zimbabwe
Burl will be in the squad, he would not fly back from the BPL without any guarantees.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

This reminds me of when Lee Germon was plucked from Dutch domestic cricket to captain New Zealand in the mid 90s.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

I never thought Hami was an idiot as well. Really shocked this recommendation came from him. He has basically blocked the likes of Kamunhukamwe and Mudzinganyama and Madheveres path to the senior team as we will always have 1 passenger in the squad now. I know PJ probably has a worse ODI record than Chamu but still they could have picked Williams for all formats. There must be a catch somewhere.

Prosper is also slowly gaining prominence. If these kids do well I see him eyeing Hondos job soon.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Chamu is a surprise. The only thing I can say is that he is actually not too bad at getting to 50 by our standards and he is then pretty terrible at getting hundreds. He is essentially a Tino for the one day team.

Mr Twig

Post by Mr Twig »

Interim captain, which is interesting in itself. I guess it gives Chamu one more chance at international cricket with some added responsibility. Might actually bring out his best.