Shocking !!! Chamu chibhabha named as odi and t20 captain

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Shocking !!! Chamu chibhabha named as odi and t20 captain

Post by jaybro »

Hahaha there we go these bastards can’t stay honest for longer than one minute, political selection if I’ve ever seen one Chamu Chibhabha 😂😂😂😂

Look to be clear I don’t mind Chamu, I was actually thinking the other day it would have good if found form again as he was handy five years ago!!!! But to bring him & make him captain just shows they either didn’t want to pick a captain out of the obvious candidates because they’ve all crossed the board previously or because they wanted a black guy as captain?

Either way it’s a joke and as someone said it’s now clogged up another spot in the batting order for an older guy. There’s already four very experienced older batsman in BT, CR, SW & Raz they didn’t need another, the way Wes Madhevere had been playing I would almost have had him on the plane to Bangladesh.

I can understand them not wanting Moor as he’s form doesn’t warrant being picked every game, but picking a guy who hasn’t made a score in an international since 2016 is even more pointless !!!!

Chamu doesn’t even strike me as a captain, he’s always very quiet on the field & I’ve never actually seen him do an interview, they would have been better off bringing back Elton if they wanted someone they could trust.

Making him interim captain as well tells you they know it’s a bad idea
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by tawac »

And you would have thought with a cricketing brain as director we wouldnt have these dubious calls. I mean wtf Chamu, I thought naming the captain you who also have input from the coach etc.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

tawac wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:32 am
And you would have thought with a cricketing brain as director we wouldnt have these dubious calls. I mean wtf Chamu, I thought naming the captain you who also have input from the coach etc.
Good point Tawac where’s Hamilton in all of this ? Letting his issues with ex team mates get in the way here. It’s so bloody obvious this appointment has more to do with off field politics than cricket

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

This really comes from nowhere.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Why pick him instead of Williams in all formats?

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

I hear they really want to give all of it to PJ. He just needs to step up with the bat. i think this is a very big year for him. He will either fulfill his potential and have it all or become the next Malcolm Waller. 49 ODIs with an average below 21, a highest score of 58 and only 4 half centuries is not good enough. Chibhabha who is not exactly looked at as a big success story averages just below 24 with 16 half centuries and a highest score of 99 in 103 games. The time for potential is over, it's time to step up. Those 2 opening spots are literally there for anybody to take them.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

What the heck?!! Why not Williams across all formats? Was there a press conference and was there any explanation given? I mean... why do I even care?

How were the the selectors chosen? Was there regional representation? Utseya, Ewing, Mutendera and Makunura? Except Makunura, how exactly are the other 3 qualified for this job?

I remember Mutendera only for this match: https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/156 ... we-2000-01

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

It's really not shocking though. We knew this would happen and when the SRC stepped in, so many were on the side of ZC including Hammy. When ever it came to push and shove, he has only ever looked out for himself.

The same thing keeps happening and people expect different results. Mukhulani and his band of thieves need to go. Then only will we see proper change.

16 months out of the international scene and suddenly the captain. Not even the VC was given the role. The man who won a series and has the experience.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

It just makes no sense.

Who sits down in a room and thinks “I will give the captaincy over Chibhabha over the below”
BT
Raza
Williams the test captain
Moor the current VC
Ervine

Even chatara or jarvis would be better since you know they will at least get picked !

What will happen is the players will ignore him and just listen to BT anyway.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

This is what’s clear -

The guys who wronged ZC both when Streak got sacked & when the SRC stepped in are you obviously offside with the board so the board didn’t want to pick them as captain despite the likes of BT & Raza clearly being the best options.

They wanted to pick PJ but his numbers aren’t good enough which is fair enough I agreed with this

The only other establishes players are KJ, TLC & Donald I guess and they didn’t want to pick a bowler because they’re unlikely to play every game.

Considering all of this it was always going to be a a left field selection with the options left to them, the other batsman in contention are in the same boat as Moor, not cemented in the side.

I guess with Chamu he ticks a few boxes

He’s experienced

Loyal

He’s a batsman

He’s an opener

The fact they didn’t pick him as Test captain shows even they know this is ridiculous, so they had to suck it up & pick Williams, which makes this whole exercise pointless.

They should have either appointed Williams in all formats or picked the guy they wanted Moor, instead they’ve somehow ended up with a guy I’m sure some people thought had retired.

I wonder if Tari Musakanda is regretting skipping out on the Logan Cup? He would have been captain no doubt, he was in the running when Hami got picked.