Zimbabwe Provisional Squad (Sri Lanka Tests)

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Zimbabwe Provisional Squad (Sri Lanka Tests)

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:30 am
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:50 pm
It’s not a good look.
Random African guy, barely in the country a month and already getting charged with drink driving. Serious crime nowadays.

Back when I was a teen I got busted but wriggles my way out in court but nowadays it’s a deportable offence big time. Zimbabweans are already on the nose with western governments.

A DUI actually gets you banned from Canada for ten years. Fun fact.
Interesting. People dont realize how irresponsible alcohol use and drunk driving is. Alcohol is more dangerous a drug than cocaine and heroin if people only think about it.
In some ways alcohol is, in the sense you could cause immense issues for other people around you, whilst you just wake up the next morning oblivious with a slight headache.

A tourist who drink drives in Oz is a sitting duck.

They increase RBTs (random breath tests) 100 fold on public holidays and I can almost guarantee he was done on a public holiday.

Not proud about it but I drink drive short distances all the time. However I know my local area and the thing about RBTs is they are very predictable in Oz. Whilst they do a good job at setting up in a spot that you can’t escape from when you’re upon them (like round a corner) they don’t do a great job of hiding their flashing lights and they hit the same spots every time. It’s easy for a local to avoid these.
I’d say he was caught off guard not knowing the area and may not have seen an RBT up until the holidays. Drinking and driving and not knowing the RBT spots will catch a newbie and tourist everytime.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

TapsC wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:08 pm
Googly wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:08 pm
That’s really unfortunate for Tari. Zimbabwe drink driving laws don’t exist. People get so blitzed they can’t even walk and just jump behind the wheel. I don’t actually know a single person here who won’t have drinks because they’re driving. The youngsters do it from 16 with little parental censure and it sets a very bad precedent.
One of my mates in the UK was down at his local having a pint and there was a guy he didn’t get on with, the chap knew my friend used to drive there and he waited for him to have a few beers and and called the cops and told them there was a guy leaving in about an hour and he’d be over the limit. It tipped his life upside down.

That leaves Tari with the UK option in their summer and means he will have to put in an appearance here.

Getting a UK visa with a criminal offence in a first world country might also become difficult for him.
I’d say it will be. Especially in these post Brexit time’s.

I’ve dealt with immigration law a fair bit and a goos rule of thumb is the more developed the country, the more it affects the chances.
What’s more is it can be quite complex in a lot of cases and border guards themselves don’t know the intricacies of the law. You can be turned away despite being in the right, often with no recourse. USA is chronic for that. They have a two tier level of crimes that make it inadmissible or not. Minor crimes are usually ok but crimes that are morally reprehensible are not, BUT there is massive overlay that doesn’t make sense to the average person.
For example, assault with a deadly weapon is ok if not pre planned, but being caught with a bag of cocaine and issues a police caution will bar you from entering the United States, for at least 5 years, and only possible to be readmitted after a humiliating, costly and long interview system. Although strangely it’s easy to deny this as a tourist and get let in straight away.
And fortunately for Tari, USA doesn’t give a shit about drink driving at all.

Unlike their northern neighbours Canada, wherein a DUI bars you for ten years as I said earlier.

The UK I don’t recall specifically but I do remember them being strict on DUIs. I have a feeling they are strict like Canada but they are lenient to the judges verdict, if he gets off with a warning (this happens a lot in OZ DUI) he sill be ok but if he gets a conviction recorded he will be in shit.
He should get a lawyer. The presence of a lawyer and a first time DUI will almost certainly get him off with a non conviction warning. This I can say with certainty. Unless he literally had a vodka bottles worth.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Black Mamba
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Black Mamba »

https://m.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/111 ... abwe-tests

Sri Lanka squad against Zimbabwe for 2 Match Test Series:

Dimuth Karunaratne (Captain), Oshada Fernando, Kusal Mendis, Angelo Mathews, Dinesh Chandimal, Lahiru Thirimanne, Dhananjaya de Silva, Niroshan Dickwella, Dilruwan Perera, Lasith Embuldeniya, Lahiru Kumara, Vishwa Fernando, Kasun Rajitha, Lakshan Sandakan and Suranga Lakmal.

Kusal Parera who made Sri Lanka win test series in South Africa in 2018 have been dropped :shock: