15 Man Test Squad Announced

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: 15 Man Test Squad Announced

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

TapsC wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:37 pm
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:58 pm
I’d say the directive and strategy this time around is to select the players who have performed in the Logan Cup.

Last time no one paid attention.
I think this is the right way to go. For so long we have picked the same guys over and over again with no results. Let's put value on our domestic. Some of these guys literally chose to go for Christmas holidays and then they expect to get picked. Let's wait till Sunday and see what happens. I got a feeling a couple of the guys will shock many. Its a sink or swim moment for the likes of Masvaure Nyauchi and Kasuza. Perform or die. You would have wasted a good 6 or 7 years of your life if you flop. A lot is on the line for them. I got a feeling at least 1 of them will take this opportunity. Tshuma is 26 as well. Might be his only chance .
Hey will probably flop.
What do we see repeatedly form Zimbabwean fringe players?

Lack of heart and buckling under pressure.

They will be drenched in sweat before they face a ball. I think it could be a cultural thing too but these guys lack the poise and confidence and nerve to make the most of a last shot.

But yes, let’s hope I’m wrong and at least one star is born.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

haha Burl deleted his tweet :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

zimfan1 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:59 pm
Poor guy,I feel bad for him

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

zimfan1 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:59 pm
Deleted it and replaced with one which was more in line with the company ethos :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Look we all voiced our disappointment when these guys skipped the Logan Cup games some I'm really not going to blame the selectors here, as I said previously there needs to be some type of respect shown to the local competition as it is the life blood of any national team. In saying this the players probably weren't expecting 2.5 rounds of games to be cancelled just before this important series, once again ZC showing their incompetence which directly effects the national team.

In saying that Moor must feel hard done by as he played the same number of games as Williams & Ervine who did nothing in their respective games either, Raza & BT at least did well in their only appearances. Moor probably got a bit carried away with where he thought he stood in the pecking order, he's not in the same league as the 'Big 4' so he can't get picked on reputation, especially considering he was supposed to be picked as an opener.

I do feel bad for Burl flying back from the BPL but the facts are he hasn't played a 1st Class game in over two years (maybe 3) so I didn't even expect him to be in the 25 man squad. I'm not sure what the conversation was when he asked to get the NOC for the BPL or when they told him to come back? But in the end of the day if you want to be picked for a Test match you need recent first class runs or wickets, the guys who missed out are all short on those.

The whole thing about being under contract or not is really inconsistent, apparently Chisoro was under contract yet Moor & Burl weren't which seems odd? Bell's argument that the players aren't contracted so they shouldn't have to play Logan Cup is a cop out, I'm sure the likes of Kusuza & Prince aren't contracted either. If you want to be picked you need to be playing Logan Cup and making runs or taking wickets.

Unless your Tendai Chisoro then it doesn't matter what you do you ain't getting picked :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Googly

Post by Googly »

The players are in a position where they need to play FC to be considered, there are no issues there, but the seasons are always a complete disaster, there’s more stop than start and I’m sure they don’t get paid often or much. So basically a couple of guys have been selected or not selected on the back of two rounds of Logan cup.

What will save ZC from player action are these County games so they’re safe from disgruntlement for another year. ZC is also now in safe family hands and it will take them a while to realize they’ve been duped.
This is the only place where players will accept two games a year, the ZC goal is probably just one game :lol:

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Not getting enough time to follow much these days, even as we lead up to the test series, but looking at the squad, Chatara's absence will be quite a difficult one to fill, so Mpofu should have been there. Moor's omission is indeed frustrating as he comes to his own in this format regularly. Burl cannot be picked with lack of red ball cricket behind him anyway. Very happy for Kasuza. Nyauchi desrves to be there too as well as Prince, but not sure about Tshuma and Ndlovu. Scary lack of depth and experience apart from Jarvis in the bowling department. Hoping for Mumba to come to the party.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

At the end of the day I think the lesson learnt is that if you are not BT Ervine Raza Williams Jarvis or Chatara you have to behave.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:54 pm
TapsC wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:37 pm
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:58 pm
I’d say the directive and strategy this time around is to select the players who have performed in the Logan Cup.

Last time no one paid attention.
I think this is the right way to go. For so long we have picked the same guys over and over again with no results. Let's put value on our domestic. Some of these guys literally chose to go for Christmas holidays and then they expect to get picked. Let's wait till Sunday and see what happens. I got a feeling a couple of the guys will shock many. Its a sink or swim moment for the likes of Masvaure Nyauchi and Kasuza. Perform or die. You would have wasted a good 6 or 7 years of your life if you flop. A lot is on the line for them. I got a feeling at least 1 of them will take this opportunity. Tshuma is 26 as well. Might be his only chance .
Hey will probably flop.
What do we see repeatedly form Zimbabwean fringe players?

Lack of heart and buckling under pressure.

They will be drenched in sweat before they face a ball. I think it could be a cultural thing too but these guys lack the poise and confidence and nerve to make the most of a last shot.

But yes, let’s hope I’m wrong and at least one star is born.
Probably because the fringe players get treated like crap. That's why they have no confidence. They literally have 1 chance. Imagine the pressure. If I remember correctly Prince scored like 40 in 1 innings and failed in the other and got dropped. Just imagine the feeling especially when Chari got over 10 chances.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Sri Lanka also have their own selection issues with Kusal Perera. It's not a uniquely Zimbabwean problem. Some Indian fans feel the same for Sanju Samson. There will always be debates. We just don't have enough quality to make mistakes