2020 Under-19 World Cup | Match Thread | Zimbabwe vs Bangladesh

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: 2020 Under-19 World Cup | Match Thread | Zimbabwe vs Bangladesh

Post by Googly »

It’s like you’re at the ground :lol:

Googly

Post by Googly »

As I said, Grant likes to bang it in and at 130 it’s not a threat against good batters at this level. Ndlela went for three off his first over.
28 off the second over in a game has to be some kind of a record, and not a good one.

Googly

Post by Googly »

What injury has Myers sustained?? That doesn’t sound good either.

Googly

Post by Googly »

They look like they need 50 off 13 overs. 3.8 an over.
But for that disastrous over from Grant this might be closer. Poor guy, that’s going to stay with him forever.

Marshmallow

Post by Marshmallow »

Lost in big margin. Not expected this type game bad luck for the guys

Googly

Post by Googly »

Well now the shit is deep. We probably have a poor run rate and we need to win the next two. If we don’t beat Pakistan we’re straight into the plate after two games, that’s an ignominious departure for a side that raised our hopes a bit. The ZC underlords and their grinning journalists will forget about these lads faster than you can blink, they’ll not be giving these guys a direct entry into our national side after all. They change with the wind, clueless muppets.
Rain has destroyed our hopes twice in a row, maybe it will save us this week?

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

The revised target basically was the same as what ZIM had scored, just in 6 fewer overs (37 balls to be precise). Had Zimbabwe been 137-3, I'd imagine the DL target would have been closer to 160, which is still only a modest T20 target.

For BD the bowling seemed a bit wayward, but without any highlights (will have to check if there is any), hard to tell. All those boundaries could have been edges through the cordon or dropped catches.

I'd been saying, BD are [probably] favorites to top the group and ZIM's best chance to avoid the plates would likely be trying to upset Pakistan, who are also generally very strong at the U-19 level. BD are generally a top 6 side at U-19 world cups, and this BD side is one of the better ones we've had in the last 10-15 years.

It was obvious the baby Tigers wanted to finish the game before rain robbed them of 2 points, so what they would have chased in 15-16 overs, they ended up chasing in 11.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Googly

Post by Googly »

Well I’m looking forward to seeing them, unfortunately it will probably be at Zim’s expense. They will do well to beat Aus or the West Indies U50’s, that was a higher level of cricket than we’ve seen so far in the warm up games.
Some of those Islanders will be on their second marriage and 4th or 5th kid by now. That opener could eat a thin Indian for a snack.

I don’t like this format. I know these Zim boys have been hard at it for a long time and their first game marred by rain not in their favour and they’re into miracle territory already. That’s bloody unfair. Had Bangladesh batted first they would have been on a similar total (5-6 an over) and we’d have been set a moderate T20 total with 9 guys who can hold the bat and like to hit, we’d have won that encounter as simply as they did.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Googly wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:07 pm

I don’t like this format. I know these Zim boys have been hard at it for a long time and their first game marred by rain not in their favour and they’re into miracle territory already. That’s bloody unfair. Had Bangladesh batted first they would have been on a similar total (5-6 an over) and we’d have been set a moderate T20 total with 9 guys who can hold the bat and like to hit, we’d have won that encounter as simply as they did.
That is highly improbable given the margin of defeat. Duckworth Lewis actually addresses these issues. Here's the DL rationale:

Zim was 80-5 inside 18 overs when the innings was still 50 overs long. Had it been 22 overs from the start, the run rate would most likely be higher, but more wickets would also most likely be lost. Its all probablity based. So 120-8 or 130-8 seems a reasonable extrapolation. The way BD was batting, they'd have posted 200-220 from 22 overs had they been put in. Thats a hard chase for any team in any condition.

It was a good toss to win, but 9 wickets with half the overs remaining is like suggesting a brick on the tracks might halt a speeding freight train.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Googly

Post by Googly »

The way they were batting in a T22 run chase you’re now using to extrapolate where they’d be had they batted first? :lol:
That’s too much Duck and not enough Lewis.
They’d have been going at 6 an over, maybe 7 tops.