ICC Under 19 World Cup 2020, South Africa : Other Matches [ Except Zimbabwe ]

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: ICC Under 19 World Cup 2020, South Africa : Other Matches [ Except Zimbabwe ]

Post by sloandog »

i Partially agree and partially disagree regarding the South African ODI side. I think Andile has a lot of positives with both bat and ball in LOI, but certainly not test cricket.
Hendricks is bang average, as is Shamsi. Bavuma and Sipamla are the two lads who I’m really glad are in the ODI squad. The latter impressed me last year on the TV with his accuracy and his nip, and he’s only 21. Ngidi could be magnificent in years to come, but right now I think he’s off the pace, massively.
The fact that Magala was going to be in the squad (had it not been for his fitness exam) was embarrassing. He’s not international quality and would have been found out.
Jannaman Malan and De Zorzi should have been opening the batting, not the tried, tested and failed Reeza Hendricks..

sloandog

Re: ICC Under 19 World Cup 2020, South Africa : Other Matches [ Except Zimbabwe ]

Post by sloandog »

Van Tonder, Verryene, Breezke, Muller, Malan Jnr and Bryce Parsons are all going to have to be shown by the selectors that they are next in line, otherwise they’ll leave.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Oh and Coetzee of course, he’s a rocket!

Googly

Post by Googly »

You’re all forgetting Morris. He surely has to be better than Phelukwayo, Simplayo, Ngidi and whoever else these muppets dream up.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Everyone looks at stats. People here are quick to compare stats of some of our current guys with those from pre 2004 and they’re not that different yet one team won the odd game, was always competitive and generated a big following world-wide and it was boom time for Zim cricket.
SA has the same situation. Both teams are getting regularly minced nowadays. Clearly there’s a lot more to it than stats.
Both teams have lost their big sponsors and both play to half empty stadiums for Mickey Mouse local currencies that require a wheel barrow load to buy a burger.
The guys who make the big noise about transformation probably know not much about the game and most likely never go to watch their new look teams.
What you see up front is always the window dressing, the chaos, carnage and general malaise and unhappiness is behind the scenes and at the lower levels and age group cricket. People can argue that it’s necessary and most of the white South African ex players would publicly agree with that, behind closed doors there’s no danger of that sentiment. Even Ashwell Prince is realizing that it’s all a mess and he has always been one of the most outspoken guys.
This could have all been done vastly differently with a lot less pain and no lowering of standards.
It’s all been a smoke screen for a select few to get their hands quietly on the money whilst everyone else makes a distracting noise outside.

Googly

Post by Googly »

In this WC we were definitely better than NZ and South Africa. If we’d played everyone three times to get a true reflection we’d have been 9th in my opinion. Not too bad all things considered.

Googly

Post by Googly »

How did the Bangladeshi afford an expensive overseas English coach and multiple tours when the ICC give them less than us?
I had heard that each u19 side was allocated ICC money for the WC build up. I wonder how much that was?

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Congratulations to Bangladesh U19 cricket team, throughly well deserved, big moment this for Bangladesh cricket!

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Googly wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:53 pm
How did the Bangladeshi afford an expensive overseas English coach and multiple tours when the ICC give them less than us?
I had heard that each u19 side was allocated ICC money for the WC build up. I wonder how much that was?
If the ICC allocated funds, BCB would have gotten as much as ZC, definitely not less. Maybe Associates got more/less but there can't be discrepancies between full member nations otherwise its an unfair advantage for any team that might get more. I suspect the ICC gave no additional funds to full members and that U19 cricket is totally funded by each respective board.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Googly wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:38 pm
Really hard to understand why the batters don’t have a plan for this leggie. He’s tying them in knots.
Main issue is nerves setting in when they see the goal is so close, yet still quite far away (120+ runs from the target).

The other thing is BD players at all levels have no idea how to play quality leg spin because we don't have any in our entire country as of yet. We don't value leg spin, so no one bowls it. The few that do, will get benched so that every team can field 3 SLAs in the XI. Zimbabwe and NZ probably only have a few hundred serious cricketers in each country, and they have a few wrist spinners. They might not be very good, but they get their chances. Bangladesh probably has 100,000 such cricketers and we have maybe 3-4 leggies, none of whom get picked after a single bad spell.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)