Match Thread : Sri Lanka Tour Of Zimbabwe 2020 | 1st Test | Zimbabwe V/s Sri Lanka | Harare

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Match Thread : Sri Lanka Tour Of Zimbabwe 2020 | 1st Test | Zimbabwe V/s Sri Lanka | Harare

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Kasuza is an odd one.

A HHM favourite. You may recall he came into the domestic scene really early about 16 years of age. He hit a few 20 ball fifties as well. Looked like he had a future then stalled and went backwards. Think it was last season he was dropped from the domestic squad.

He looks decent out there so it seems like he’s fought hard to get himself back in and utilise the early form he showed. Even if he gets out he will be better for this experience.

If he was a top 3 country he souls probably be starting to develop into an international now at his age. So it’s somewhat normal development in an abnormal system.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

zimfan1

Re: Match Thread : Sri Lanka Tour Of Zimbabwe 2020 | 1st Test | Zimbabwe V/s Sri Lanka | Harare

Post by zimfan1 »

I must say I am glad we are not bowling first on this. It looks flat flat flat flat flat.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:35 am
brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:03 am
I'm happy for them to go at 2 an over for as long as they want as long as they don't get out.
Apart from being boring, what’s that achieve? After an hour of fight, a couple of quick wickets (this is zim so it’s likely) and it’s all for nothing.

I think 3 an over is ok though. Easy singles and a boundary every other over.
Tires and demoralises the bowlers, keeps them in the field for longer. And most importantly, the more time we eat up - given the weather - the more we remove an SL win as a potential outcome and increase the likelihood of a draw. It would be awful if 2 days were lost to rain but we still lost because we showed "positive intent" in the first innings.

It's our first game back in a long time and we've got 3 guys on debut. Just ease back into it I think. Draw this one, and turn the 2nd Test into a winner takes all contest.

Free Spirit

Post by Free Spirit »

Good start from Zimbabwe but we are in serious danger of getting bogged down. This is becoming far too slow on a good batting wicket

SpitfiresKent

Post by SpitfiresKent »

BOOM!! Kasuza! :6:

Nanctus

Post by Nanctus »

Good footwork from Kasuza. It's nice to see some resilient batting and hopefully a few smart aggressive shots now.

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

I was just starting to think that this Embul guy doesn't look too dangerous, and Kasuza seems to have realised the same. :6:

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

:6:

I disagree Free Spirit, I think these guys are approaching this innings perfectly. The longer they stay out there, the run rate will improve naturally.
But as it stands right now, SL will be getting pretty frustrated at how things are going - so just keep grinding them down. If the opportunity comes up to play an aggressive shot every now and then, by all means take it as they have done. I hope they just keep doing what they are doing.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:47 am
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:35 am
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:03 am
I'm happy for them to go at 2 an over for as long as they want as long as they don't get out.
Apart from being boring, what’s that achieve? After an hour of fight, a couple of quick wickets (this is zim so it’s likely) and it’s all for nothing.

I think 3 an over is ok though. Easy singles and a boundary every other over.
Tires and demoralises the bowlers, keeps them in the field for longer. And most importantly, the more time we eat up - given the weather - the more we remove an SL win as a potential outcome and increase the likelihood of a draw. It would be awful if 2 days were lost to rain but we still lost because we showed "positive intent" in the first innings.

It's our first game back in a long time and we've got 3 guys on debut. Just ease back into it I think. Draw this one, and turn the 2nd Test into a winner takes all contest.
We are 0-100 against a weakish side.
Why not try and win?

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

And bogging down batsman doesn’t demoralise bowlers really.

Pumping them all over the place like a slut is what does that.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.