Match Thread : Sri Lanka Tour Of Zimbabwe 2020 | 1st Test | Zimbabwe V/s Sri Lanka | Harare

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimlover
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: Match Thread : Sri Lanka Tour Of Zimbabwe 2020 | 1st Test | Zimbabwe V/s Sri Lanka | Harare

Post by zimlover »

Matthews faces 288 balls for his 82!

This makes Kasuza look like a David Warner

tgk

Re: Match Thread : Sri Lanka Tour Of Zimbabwe 2020 | 1st Test | Zimbabwe V/s Sri Lanka | Harare

Post by tgk »

zimlover wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:48 pm

Mathews has a better S/R than Kasuza...

tgk

Post by tgk »

At least 2 more wickets before SL take the first innings lead would keep us in the game for a bit longer. Angelo needs to go, soon.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

If I've said it once I've said it a million times - in Test cricket you need a legspinner.

Ndlovu isn't going to trouble anyone at this level... I haven't seen any evidence of the accuracy that Price and Utseya had. And it looks like he has no tricks. So I'd much prefer someone like Mavuta in the side. Today shows how much we miss Cremer.

On another note, I wish we'd set a much more defensive field. Far too many singles being allowed at the moment. Nyauchi's been pretty economical, not sure why he hasn't been given another spell before stumps.
zimlover wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:48 pm

It's only 238, but who cares? I don't understand why everyone was pushing for our guys to up the run rate the other day. Batting slow and batting long is our best strategy, I wish they'd been able to eat up a few more overs to be honest.

With a bit of luck, SL will bat deep into tomorrow. Best case scenario for us is that they post a lead which is not too small (because we want to start our third innings as late as possible) and not too big (because we want to set SL a total which is just out of reach in whatever time they have remaining).

Maybe something like a 125 run lead, and we stonewall our way to 225, setting them 100 with less than a session remaining. I don't know, that seems like the most realistic way we get to a draw from here.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

I guess it is up to Sri Lanka now. If they want to win they will have to push really hard but I think both teams have eaten up too many overs for a win. It would take a monumental zim collapse on day 5 which I guess is possible but the way they are batting now they would need to bat the whole of tomorrow to be safe. The other risk they can take is to come out guns blazing tomorrow just to have a small lead. Maybe 100 and then declare.

zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by zimfan1 »

Pacers didn;t do a lot wrong today, Jarvis and Victor kept it tight. It was the spin options that let us down today. New Ndlovu would not be up to it. Mufadza should have been in, he can hold a bat too. Interesting selection for the next match, no way can Ndlovu play again.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

How did Nyauchi look today?
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:59 pm

It's only 238, but who cares? I don't understand why everyone was pushing for our guys to up the run rate the other day. Batting slow and batting long is our best strategy, I wish they'd been able to eat up a few more overs to be honest.

With a bit of luck, SL will bat deep into tomorrow. Best case scenario for us is that they post a lead which is not too small (because we want to start our third innings as late as possible) and not too big (because we want to set SL a total which is just out of reach in whatever time they have remaining).

Maybe something like a 125 run lead, and we stonewall our way to 225, setting them 100 with less than a session remaining. I don't know, that seems like the most realistic way we get to a draw from here.

I am baffled by SL's overly defensive batting. Some of it can be put down to the tremendously slow outfield, but in that case its best to take the aerial route, which ZIM actually did quite well with the number of 6s they hit in their innings. I'd imagine with 2 set batsmen, SL might look to step on the gas tomorrow. If they bat another 50 overs at 3.5 an over they earn a lead of around 100, with 130 overs left in the game. Thats pretty risky, although a target of say 150 in the final session just reduces it to an ODI chase where you need 5 an over with 10 wickets in hand.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:15 pm
brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:59 pm

I am baffled by SL's overly defensive batting. Some of it can be put down to the tremendously slow outfield, but in that case its best to take the aerial route, which ZIM actually did quite well with the number of 6s they hit in their innings. I'd imagine with 2 set batsmen, SL might look to step on the gas tomorrow. If they bat another 50 overs at 3.5 an over they earn a lead of around 100, with 130 overs left in the game. Thats pretty risky, although a target of say 150 in the final session just reduces it to an ODI chase where you need 5 an over with 10 wickets in hand.
I'm sure tomorrow will be more exciting. Sri Lanka are the better team so they have to at least try go for it at some point. I reckon they think they can get us all out again in 4 sessions max.

Donald

Post by Donald »

Who goes in as the spinner next match.

Mavuta had one bad game against UAE whete he coudnt land the dam thing but think we should persevere with the leg spinner. He does have a knack of picking up wickets and we have tiripano and Williams as containment bowlers