Match Thread : Sri Lanka Tour Of Zimbabwe 2020 | 1st Test | Zimbabwe V/s Sri Lanka | Harare

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Match Thread : Sri Lanka Tour Of Zimbabwe 2020 | 1st Test | Zimbabwe V/s Sri Lanka | Harare

Post by jaybro »

zimfan1 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:26 pm

It is a shocking pitch. None of us would be watching this game if any side other than Zimbabwe were playing.
100% it's flat and slow the two characteristics you could want from a pitch, as it makes run scoring difficult but also offers nothing to the bowlers.

If you have a flat deck where the ball comes on it at least makes for fast scoring which will in turn bring the bowlers into the game as the batsman will be looking to score, even if the pitch is flat but takes some turn again the bowlers will have so interest.

Stuart Law the former West Indies coach lamented the nature of the pitches at Bulawyo in 2017 saying 'Zimbabwe wouldn't improve if they continued to produce pitches as such'. Graeme Cremer also bemoaned the state of the pitches back home after Zimbabwe were totally found out of their depth on a spicy deck in the infamous Pink Ball Boxing Day Test, the pitches during the WCQ in 2018 were again tired and slow much like this deck here.

I firmly believe Zimbabwe cricket needs to change their 'philosophy' on how they want to play the game, relying on slow flat pitches and part time spinners is a negative way to play the game and looking at it in a entertainment view it's boring and it won't attract kids to the game or people to pay to watch or attend.

IMO the best way forward is to prepare hard & fast pitches and encourage fast bowling and positive batting, it's mainly Asian sides who tour anyways so it would be more suitable for Zimbabwe. Obviously in the short term it will be painful but in the long run I believe it will be more beneficial.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

jaybro

Re: Match Thread : Sri Lanka Tour Of Zimbabwe 2020 | 1st Test | Zimbabwe V/s Sri Lanka | Harare

Post by jaybro »

zimlover wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:48 pm

I thought he played really well considering that Jarvis our best bowler went wicketless.

I would say he bowled better than Heath streak on debut and looked like he could be as good as Makhaya Ntini
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

As I said prior to the start of Day 3 the Zimbabwe attack lacked penetration and it sadly was the case, with Jarvis going wicketless it was always going to be a hard task, the seamers all bowled well but were asked to bowl too many overs due to the ineffectiveness of the spinners. You could see Jarvis, Don & Victor had no gas left with the 2nd new ball, the lack of a 4th seamer and the inability of Ndlovu to hold up an end really hurt.

I wonder what difference it would have made if Mumba played instead of Ndlovu??

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

I doubt Waqar and Wasim would have made much of an impact on this pitch.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Its bit surprising, in 90s Zimbabwe use to follow Proteas and use to welcome Asian sides with greenish bouncy pitch.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

jaybro wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:07 pm
zimfan1 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:26 pm

It is a shocking pitch. None of us would be watching this game if any side other than Zimbabwe were playing.
100% it's flat and slow the two characteristics you could want from a pitch, as it makes run scoring difficult but also offers nothing to the bowlers.

If you have a flat deck where the ball comes on it at least makes for fast scoring which will in turn bring the bowlers into the game as the batsman will be looking to score, even if the pitch is flat but takes some turn again the bowlers will have so interest.

Stuart Law the former West Indies coach lamented the nature of the pitches at Bulawyo in 2017 saying 'Zimbabwe wouldn't improve if they continued to produce pitches as such'. Graeme Cremer also bemoaned the state of the pitches back home after Zimbabwe were totally found out of their depth on a spicy deck in the infamous Pink Ball Boxing Day Test, the pitches during the WCQ in 2018 were again tired and slow much like this deck here.

I firmly believe Zimbabwe cricket needs to change their 'philosophy' on how they want to play the game, relying on slow flat pitches and part time spinners is a negative way to play the game and looking at it in a entertainment view it's boring and it won't attract kids to the game or people to pay to watch or attend.

IMO the best way forward is to prepare hard & fast pitches and encourage fast bowling and positive batting, it's mainly Asian sides who tour anyways so it would be more suitable for Zimbabwe. Obviously in the short term it will be painful but in the long run I believe it will be more beneficial.
If we played on a green pitch Kumara would suddenly turn into Rabada with that pace and we all know our guys. At the moment I think if we were to play on a pitch with some life it has to favour spin. That will actually work to our advantage as we would then have 4 guys (Raza Burl Mutombodzi Williams) offering something with the ball without taking a batting spot. We just don't have fast enough bowlers to play on green pitches for now.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

For a man on debut on a flat track I have to say Nyauchi did very well. Had Jarvis been taking wickets he would have been the perfect partner.

zimlover
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by zimlover »

Jarvis was ordinary if he is our best bowler ZC should have prepared a green top.

I will say this again Jarvis needs some competition in the side, he looks like the sought of that does well with some competition.

He does not feel like his place in the side is under pressure, he has become too much of a automatic pick.

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

zimlover wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:12 am
Jarvis was ordinary if he is our best bowler ZC should have prepared a green top.

I will say this again Jarvis needs some competition in the side, he looks like the sought of that does well with some competition.

He does not feel like his place in the side is under pressure, he has become too much of a automatic pick.
In this type of tracks, bowler with 145 + can trouble with the old bowl having ability to ball reverse swing. Jarvis, Nayuchi, Tiripano are 120-130 pacers, with bouncers having less venom, can't trouble any batsman, they need green tops for success.Domestic matches should be held in result oriented tracks so that ZC can think of giving result oriented tracks in test.

Mumba & Muzarabani could have been differant in this track.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

zimlover wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:12 am

Whose fault is that?