Match Thread : Sri Lanka Tour Of Zimbabwe 2020 | 1st Test | Zimbabwe V/s Sri Lanka | Harare

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Match Thread : Sri Lanka Tour Of Zimbabwe 2020 | 1st Test | Zimbabwe V/s Sri Lanka | Harare

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Don 2 from 40 odd here. He’s really showing his hand on his intention.

I’m very surprised why Sri Lanka aren’t really crowding the bat with him. It’s inevitable he will edge or bobble something eventually.

Last over Regis got a full toss on his pads from what I could see. Should’ve given that a belt. Otherwise do what he’s doing.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: Match Thread : Sri Lanka Tour Of Zimbabwe 2020 | 1st Test | Zimbabwe V/s Sri Lanka | Harare

Post by foreignfield »

As for Regis, after all these years I've come to the conclusion that this is the absolute ceiling of his ability as an international cricketer: stone-walling. It comes in handy at times because we are forever trying to save our Test matches, but at the end of the day that's not enough if you're an average keeper.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:05 pm
Don 2 from 40 odd here. He’s really showing his hand on his intention.

I’m very surprised why Sri Lanka aren’t really crowding the bat with him. It’s inevitable he will edge or bobble something eventually.

Last over Regis got a full toss on his pads from what I could see. Should’ve given that a belt. Otherwise do what he’s doing.
2 from 40 is why I reckon, and why I suggested last night, that he should come in first drop if we lost an early wicket. Because instead of losing Masvaure/Mudzi/Ervine in quick succession, we have Tiripano stonewalling and eating up deliveries, hopefully.
foreignfield wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:08 pm
As for Regis, after all these years I've come to the conclusion that this is the absolute ceiling of his ability as an international cricketer: stone-walling. It comes in handy at times because we are forever trying to save our Test matches, but at the end of the day that's not enough if you're an average keeper.
I have no problem whatsoever with the way Chakabva is approaching this. If he batted every Test innings like this I'd be thrilled.
Let's not forget also, he's one of only a handful of Test centurions we've got.

:4: to Tiripano. Now we lead

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

foreignfield wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:08 pm
To me he is a reserve keeper only. Happy for him to be there if an injury and that’s it.

As I type this Don hits a smart 4.

No one seemed to pick up that it was actually a front foot no ball as well
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Testing little period coming up now with the new ball.
I guess the equation is simple, if we can bat for another 20 overs we hold on.

Unless they'd have a crack at chasing 50 odd in 5 overs, in which case hopefully Jarvis and Tiripano can find a 6th stump channel... outside leg stump :lol:

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

I think with Don's wicket down, it's soon curtains :(

zimlover
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by zimlover »

In comes Jarvis to add his two runs

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:29 pm
I think with Don's wicket down, it's soon curtains :(
Yep, we're in trouble.

Time for Chakabva to start farming the strike (something Zimbabwe has been historically AWFUL at). We're never going to get enough of a lead to trouble SL so it's purely about time and overs.

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

TapsC wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:48 pm
CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:40 pm
How can someone get out stumped twice in a match like this where everyone else is trying to put a much higher price tag on their wicket? Raza's dismissals are bordering on Malcolm Waller levels.

If we lose today, the three most experienced guys - Taylor, Williams and Raza - their failures in both the digs must be a talking point. They got all the help from the openers too, so their failures make that even more of a sad reading.
This is because people expect someone playing t20 and t10 cricket to come play 1 FC game and suddenly spend time at the crease. If I was ZC I would start refusing with NOCs during our domestic season. The 1 FC game he plays he was attacking too. Something has to change if we are to ever improve. Yes our Logan cup isn't the best but spending time out there is invaluable. It's not a surprise that the guys who were willing to spend time at the crease played a few rounds.
The problem with that is, no one ever knows when the domestic season starts till the last moment, so there is no way to decide whether NOC can be given or not.

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

zimlover wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:29 pm
In comes Jarvis to add his two runs
Do you hold any personal grudge against Jarvis? :?: :?: