Match Thread : Sri Lanka Tour Of Zimbabwe 2020 | 1st Test | Zimbabwe V/s Sri Lanka | Harare

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sam_ahm

Re: Match Thread : Sri Lanka Tour Of Zimbabwe 2020 | 1st Test | Zimbabwe V/s Sri Lanka | Harare

Post by sam_ahm »

Should have batted more positively, considering the amount of overs played, Zimbabwe brought this upon themselves.

Googly

Re: Match Thread : Sri Lanka Tour Of Zimbabwe 2020 | 1st Test | Zimbabwe V/s Sri Lanka | Harare

Post by Googly »

tgk wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:18 pm
Fuck me Jarvis, Tiripano and Nyauchi need to bowl out of their minds.

Just a question, can we just keep bowling down leg every ball and not be penalised?
Interesting. Probably if it’s only just wide if leg stump you’d get away with it for a while. I don’t know.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Yeah the three big names + Regis in the first innings have to take the blame.

Free Spirit

Post by Free Spirit »

Final thoughts:
1) Our day 1 run rate was too slow (2.15) we made 189 runs on a good batting pitch and some here were convinced that it was good enough and that as long as we bat time we would be fine, the commentary has been spot on especially Dirk who did say on day 1 we were too cautious on a good batting surface. It was the difference between 358 all out and 468 all out.
2) Having said that (1st innings) our more experienced players realised that we were getting bogged down and decided to take more risks, understandably so however the manner in which they were dismissed was poor, particularly Chakabva (1st & 2nd innings), Raza (1st & 2nd innings), Taylor.
3) Test cricket is NOT about who bats the longest but who can put enough pressure on the opposition to create enough chances in order to take 20 wickets required for victory. If you can get into the oppositions psyche, you control the outcome. E.g. Raza being stumped twice in the same game.
4) Our bowling was decent, very good from Nyauchi and Tiripano, we were possibly not creative/proactive enough to create more chances (dropped chances from Regis withstanding). Ndlovu is limited from what I’ve seen, need a genuine leg spinner.
5) “We don’t play enough test cricket” can’t always be the excuse in 2017 we played 4, almost beat Sri Lanka, lost and drew to the Windies, lost to SA on boxing day. In 2018 we played 2 won 1 lost one. We need to get out of this inferiority complex and play the situation.
6) Get PJ Moor and Burl back in, the petulant politics from ZC selectors needs to stop.
7) Change of approach and mindset and we can win the second test.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Ya that was soft cricket for sure. Flower has coached against us for quite a few games I reckon.

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

The way we lose is so soul crushing, not sure why we keep coming back to this team. CWCQ, the last U19 match, the SL home test, this one, and so on and son and so on...

Why do we fans desire this suffering and keep coming back?

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:29 pm
The way we lose is so soul crushing, not sure why we keep coming back to this team. CWCQ, the last U19 match, the SL home test, this one, and so on and son and so on...

I don't know :(

Maybe it makes the good moments better? The win vs Bangladesh in 2011 was something else.

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:30 pm
CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:29 pm

I don't know :(

Maybe it makes the good moments better? The win vs Bangladesh in 2011 was something else.
Sigh...

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

In the end the difference was 1 of their star players stood up and scored big on a flat deck. None of our top players scored a 100. That's where the game was lost. There were runs to be scored. It was actually easier to bat on day 3 because the sun was out. I also don't think you can blame someone on debut and another guy who has played 1 test for scoring slowly. That is really unfair. Why would BT be affected by Kasuza on debut scoring slowly if he is that good? The senior players cost us this match. Thats the sad truth. i cant blame Jarvis because that was a flat track.

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

TapsC wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:38 pm
In the end the difference was 1 of their star players stood up and scored big on a flat deck. None of our top players scored a 100. That's where the game was lost. There were runs to be scored. It was actually easier to bat on day 3 because the sun was out. I also don't think you can blame someone on debut and another guy who has played 1 test for scoring slowly. That is really unfair. Why would BT be affected by Kasuza on debut scoring slowly if he is that good? The senior players cost us this match. Thats the sad truth. i cant blame Jarvis because that was a flat track.
+100