Match Thread : Sri Lanka Tour Of Zimbabwe 2020 | 1st Test | Zimbabwe V/s Sri Lanka | Harare

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC

Re: Match Thread : Sri Lanka Tour Of Zimbabwe 2020 | 1st Test | Zimbabwe V/s Sri Lanka | Harare

Post by TapsC »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:57 am
TapsC wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:35 am
The other option knowing our guys if they batted aggressively is that we would have been bowled out for 270 after 80 overs. How exactly would that have helped us? Sri Lanka would have been able to bat slowly and still kill us. Now if they want to win the game they have to attack which will create more opportunities for us.
Well we have to assume that runs are constant and the only variable is how quickly or slowly they are being scored. So 270 off 80 will set you back, not because it was only 80 overs, but because it was only 270 runs.

If you score 270 off 150 overs, you're in a marginally better position.

Now 350 in 100 overs vs 350 in 200 overs, you might start getting more of a difference, but thats because you've now got a reasonably large total on the board.
How is eating up an extra 70 overs which is almost a full days play a marginally better position? I don't get that. There is rain around as well. Don't forget that

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: Match Thread : Sri Lanka Tour Of Zimbabwe 2020 | 1st Test | Zimbabwe V/s Sri Lanka | Harare

Post by foreignfield »

The Don deserves a bat sponsor, don't you think?

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

Yea how haven't the lads got bat sponsorship? Even Raza doesn't have one.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

It's annoying me how slow this is going. I wouldn't mind but runs aren't even being scored, it's just blocking

Mr Twig

Post by Mr Twig »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:16 pm
As for Tiffin, I looked him up earlier and he hasn’t umpires an international for 18 months which is in line with my memory of where I saw his name on a scorecard last. Can’t see any retirement announcements, I’d say he just got dumped. He wasn’t up to it internationally like Sloan said.
I’ve seen through a mate what it takes to rise up the ranks in umpiring. He’s just cracked the BBL now but it is so cut throat. Most competitive place in cricket. To be fair there really is no room for a passenger. Too many dedicating their lives to the dream, studying an hour the players names the night before. Sacrificing a paid career to do mid week rep gigs. Having to keep mind and body alert and healthy, and feigning off the ex players (like Reiffel) who get fast tracked to the top.
Tiffin was TV Umpire in Zim's last home series (v UAE last April) but he hasn't done any Logan Cup this season.

Congrats to your mate. Good insight

zimlover
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by zimlover »

The Don playing a very important hand here useful runs

Zimco
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Zimco »

TapsC wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:42 am
I honestly don't get the argument. Let's just wait and see what the final score is. I'm not a fan of a "paralysis by analysis" approach. Let's see if it works or not. The only thing I know is that Zinbabwe does not have the ability as a team to bat the way you guys see as ideal.That's the sad truth

How many times did you see Hami take a positive approach uptop and go out for a good looking 25? Maybe that's what you guys want.
^This

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

sloandog wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:18 pm
The top order did well, but Sean Williams should have kicked on and Craig Ervine should have also increased the scoring rate, he was well and truly set.
Raza's shot was awful, i didn't see Regi's.

I we can scrape to 350 i'll be relatively happy, but we should have reached 400 minimum. The left arm spinner, despite what a lot of people are saying, I think is a decent bowler. He took 5 wickets on debut in SA on a rock hard deck. He's very canny and varies he speeds impressively.
Regis’ was really bad

Frustrating player Regis, always seems like when I’m talking him up he plays shit, then when he’s on his last legs he plays a good dig.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

ZIMFAN

Post by ZIMFAN »

Agree with the last two points. We are not good enough to hit out consistently. BT and Raza are and that is it. We're talking about guys who average 35 in tests as our top guns. 350 is respectable and keeps us in the game. We don't have a Rohit. Also remember, wet outfield has probably cost us 30+ runs. It's a decent total. We never hit 400+ and all those wanting it are day dreaming that it's a fait accompli if we hit out.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Don is cementing himself as a genuine test number 8 in my book.

That book means a test average of 25-28 and a healthy dose of fifties.

He bowls discipline and is clearly a dedicated Dogg, if only he had another 5km/hr pace he could be a very handy guy to have. ALMOST another Elton Chigumbura at his peak all round powers.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*